#1 Luv2teach

Luv2teach

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi!
I am newly diagnosed and gluten-free for two months. I have also been a vegetarian for 16 years and will not be changing that (I do eat dairy). I am finally getting a hang of eating gluten-free at home through cooking and have been bringing frozen gluten-free foods for lunch at work. My biggest problem is finding foods to take with me to eat a meal if I'm not around an oven or microwave. When I'm hungry I'm REALLY hungry and snacks like nuts, bars, fruit, veggies just don't cut it. I need real and a real meal. Any ideas and suggestions? (I don't like any gluten free sandwich breads so that is already out of the question) thanks for the help!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Gee, there aren't many options left. You are vegetarian, so that limits it some. You don't want to do nuts, bars, fruit or veggies. If you have an insulated bag to carry them, cheese or hard boiled eggs could work (if you eat eggs). There are gluten-free cookies, crackers, pretzels, etc., but I would not call those a meal.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

I like cheese or Pb or almond butter & crackers and fruit. To me that's a meal.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Uh, uhm, ah, well...  have you thought about baking your own customized bread type items in the microwave, to make a single serving bun ?  Because then you could make a sandwich out of some thing.  You can make very high protein, pretty dense "breads" with some grated cheese added, such as a half chebe mix/half high protein seed or nut meal, with olive oil and egg, they are pretty filling.   That leaves the problem of what to put between the slices.  You could cook up some sort of bean based "meatloaf" and use that, I guess, with lettuce, tomato, cheese and avocado.  

Otherwise I would suggest a wide mouthed thermos and you cook extra soup or stew or even rice pasta elbows/twirlies and sauce for dinner, and the next day, leftovers packed in that.   For example, there is this thing we call speed casserole around here, you take one can of sweet corn, one can of diced tomatoes, and one can of well drained, rinsed beans,  throw it all together with some olive oil, salt, vinegar, cumin, and a dash of tabasco chipotle, and then cook it.  Serve with tortillas or whatever biscuits or microwave bread, and a green vegetable.  Makes several lunches, and goes well to potlucks as the public offering that people will eat even if it is gluten free.   You can also add some canned pumpkin to that to make a sort of soup if you add some broth and more spice. 

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I precook several sweet potatoes at once, then chop one up info fork sized pieces, and throw in.some other veg or salad, and some protein. Egg would work, or legumes etc. I find this really filling. A bit of good oil/fat helps with fullness too, olive, avocado or coconut oil are my favourite
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#6 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Take whatever gluten-free bread you can have, spread a thick layer of humus on 2 slices, place your favorite veggies(cucumber, spinach, avocado etc) on including cheese. Makes a good sandwich.You can use different humus and veggies to change this around.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

quinoa and bean salad

veggie chili (eat it cold)

veggie sandwich on lettuce (using cheese and/or hummus along with whatever else you'd put on a sandwich, like tomatoes, onions, sprouts, etc.)

rice cake w/ peanut butter (wrap is plastic wrap)

homemade muffins (almond flour is great for a heartier, more filing item)

oh, and drink at least 8oz of water with whatever you eat.  that will help a lot too.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Have you tried Canyon Bakehouse gluten-free breads? I had to actually call home for my daughter to check the package to make sure it was gluten-free, even though I knew it was. You could also use rice cakes, sorry for the slip up earlier.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: