7 replies to this topic

#1 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

I was watching Christina Pirello, formerly of Christina Cooks on her new cooking show.  She was talking about GMO foods.  She said that they found that when bugs ate GMO corn, their stomachs exploded.  She said upon further investigation with humans, when they eat GMO foods, their stomachs do not explode but get minor spots of damage sort of like cracks or lesions and then the food that we eat can leak out.  I can't remember exactly how she phrased it but it sure sounded like leaky gut to me! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

I was watching Christina Pirello, formerly of Christina Cooks on her new cooking show.  She was talking about GMO foods.  She said that they found that when bugs ate GMO corn, their stomachs exploded.  She said upon further investigation with humans, when they eat GMO foods, their stomachs do not explode but get minor spots of damage sort of like cracks or lesions and then the food that we eat can leak out.  I can't remember exactly how she phrased it but it sure sounded like leaky gut to me! 

That does not surprise me at all,,,,saddens  me but does not surprise me

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#3 stri8ed

stri8ed

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

I gotta disagree with that. If gmo was truly the cause, then the majority of the USA would be suffering from leaky gut. Clearly there its something more at play.

The most implicated cause of leaky gut is gluten consumption, when eating by those genetically sensitive. For more info, google zonullin and gluten connection.

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Bt corn kills corn borers by interacting with a bacteria in the gut of the corn borer which then kills it. If that bacteria isn't present the corn borer doesn't die, but that bacteria is pretty much always present in them.

If you include rates of 'new' diseases like IBS, depression, anxiety, Crohn's, fibromyalgia and CFS (the last 2 have research that strongly suggests gut bacteria getting into the bloodstream as a cause) there's definitely SOMETHING causing it. I would not be surprised is Bt corn or some other food alteration were an important factor. Right now though I'm pretty sure no conclusive evidence exists, and a lot of it is speculation.

I think all celiacs diagnosed via biopsy will have leaky guts though anyways, as stri8ed says, and it because of celiac disease. I suspect that that's why so many of us can live so long with super damaged villi myself...there's no active transport of nutrients, but the gut just lets everything in.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#5 ValeriaZ

ValeriaZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

gluten (increases zonulin production, zonulin dissolves gut cell junctions)

yeast (candida) when it mutates to mushroom form

antibiotics, NSAIDs

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I gotta disagree with that. If gmo was truly the cause, then the majority of the USA would be suffering from leaky gut. Clearly there its something more at play.

and what is to say the majority of the USA is not suffering from leaky gut???

It would truly  surprise me if the majority of people that consume GMO on a regular  basis  did not have leaky gut

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#7 stri8ed

stri8ed

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

and what is to say the majority of the USA is not suffering from leaky gut???

It would truly  surprise me if the majority of people that consume GMO on a regular  basis  did not have leaky gut

Very simple. If you look at the studies done on leaky gut and celiac desease, you will find that the control group made up of randomly selected people, always displays a much lower and normal range of intestinal permeability (leaky gut) than the celiac patients.

So its easy to see, that the general population in spite of eating GMO on a daily basis, still exhibit normal healthy & levels of intestinal permeability.

#8 ValeriaZ

ValeriaZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

Initially leaky gut onset is because of candida/gluten/NSAIDS/antibiotics/vaccines.

When your gut is aready leaky, then things that do harm you:

lectins (all main groups + GMO)

oxalates

Because those should not normally be present in the bloodstream, but with leaky gut they are.

This explains why GMO/lectins/high oxalate foods are non problematic  to those who have healthy gut, but are very harmful for those with leaky gut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: