Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Coconut Flour Biscuit Recipese?

7 posts in this topic

A Britain-educated close friend, lover of teas and high tea, is coming for a visit, and I'd like to offer something to go with my tea or hot chocolate.

Has anyone here tested any good recipes for biscuits - scones, but also digestive-type cookies! - using coconut flour?

I cannot eat almonds or tapioca, so those starches are out - I suppose I could use arrowroot if I manage to get my hands on some. Ideally, something quite fast to make would be GREAT. I don't have lots of time in my hands at the moment.

Ads by Google:

I haven't tried these coconut flour ones, but her almond flour ones are very good. You might also google coconut cookies. I have seen recipes for cookies made with coconut and no flour. You may have to think a little differently about what to serve.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/ingredients/coconut-flour/

Thank you! I made her scones w/o chocolate chips, and served them with laban and blueberry preserve, and Italian hot chocolate (read: bitter-sweet hot pudding). They were so good that my non-gluten-free friend asked for some to bring home. Score!!!

Thank you! I made her scones w/o chocolate chips, and served them with laban and blueberry preserve, and Italian hot chocolate (read: bitter-sweet hot pudding). They were so good that my non-gluten-free friend asked for some to bring home. Score!!!

So happy that went well for you and your friend! I won't ask you to translate "laban" and "bitter-sweet hot pudding" (hot chocolate?), but please share the scones recipe if you have time. Would love to make some of those myself :)

LOL - laban is a Lebanese cream-cheese type of spread, but made with strained yogurt. Basically cultured cream-cheese, but it sort of makes me think of clotted cream, too. Very thick and creamier than cream cheese, with a refreshing acidity. Also with a nice fat percentage which balances out the acidity. I thin butter is gross, so this is what I give my guests instead :)

Italians make hot chocolate in a different way - actually, I am making a small cup now! B)  It has a higher cocoa percentage, less sugar, and a little bit of starch (I cannot tolerate cornstarch, so I did that with potato starch, which is a bit too grainy; I'm trying arrowroot tonight) as a thickener - unless you go all the way and make a "chocolate melt," ie. dark chocolate melt in a double boiler with milk. But that is very rich. So basically it's hot chocolate that you eat with a spoon; not something you can sip. I add some vanilla and cayenne pepper, and whipped cream. Usually with milk, but I wanted to try a coconut milk version because I love the coconut-cocoa pairing. Hot chocolate made this way is probably the healthiest way of indulging in chocolate, and since I've had problems with chocolate bars, this seems to work.

I will make the scones again and note down the exact ingredients for you :) For now I know I used 6 smallish eggs for 6 scones. But I never measure anything when baking. I iz daredevil. :ph34r:

Them is very eggy scones!