6 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

A Britain-educated close friend, lover of teas and high tea, is coming for a visit, and I'd like to offer something to go with my tea or hot chocolate.

Has anyone here tested any good recipes for biscuits - scones, but also digestive-type cookies! - using coconut flour?

I cannot eat almonds or tapioca, so those starches are out - I suppose I could use arrowroot if I manage to get my hands on some. Ideally, something quite fast to make would be GREAT. I don't have lots of time in my hands at the moment.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I haven't tried these coconut flour ones, but her almond flour ones are very good. You might also google coconut cookies. I have seen recipes for cookies made with coconut and no flour. You may have to think a little differently about what to serve.

http://www.elanaspan.../coconut-flour/

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thank you! I made her scones w/o chocolate chips, and served them with laban and blueberry preserve, and Italian hot chocolate (read: bitter-sweet hot pudding). They were so good that my non-gluten-free friend asked for some to bring home. Score!!!

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thank you! I made her scones w/o chocolate chips, and served them with laban and blueberry preserve, and Italian hot chocolate (read: bitter-sweet hot pudding). They were so good that my non-gluten-free friend asked for some to bring home. Score!!!

So happy that went well for you and your friend! I won't ask you to translate "laban" and "bitter-sweet hot pudding" (hot chocolate?), but please share the scones recipe if you have time. Would love to make some of those myself :)

Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#5 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

LOL - laban is a Lebanese cream-cheese type of spread, but made with strained yogurt. Basically cultured cream-cheese, but it sort of makes me think of clotted cream, too. Very thick and creamier than cream cheese, with a refreshing acidity. Also with a nice fat percentage which balances out the acidity. I thin butter is gross, so this is what I give my guests instead :)

Italians make hot chocolate in a different way - actually, I am making a small cup now! B)  It has a higher cocoa percentage, less sugar, and a little bit of starch (I cannot tolerate cornstarch, so I did that with potato starch, which is a bit too grainy; I'm trying arrowroot tonight) as a thickener - unless you go all the way and make a "chocolate melt," ie. dark chocolate melt in a double boiler with milk. But that is very rich. So basically it's hot chocolate that you eat with a spoon; not something you can sip. I add some vanilla and cayenne pepper, and whipped cream. Usually with milk, but I wanted to try a coconut milk version because I love the coconut-cocoa pairing. Hot chocolate made this way is probably the healthiest way of indulging in chocolate, and since I've had problems with chocolate bars, this seems to work.

I will make the scones again and note down the exact ingredients for you :) For now I know I used 6 smallish eggs for 6 scones. But I never measure anything when baking. I iz daredevil. :ph34r:

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Them is very eggy scones!

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

These are the ones we make. http://heavenlyhomem...r-drop-biscuits

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: