2 replies to this topic

#1 striped_sweater

striped_sweater

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I am extremely new to the gluten free community; I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 days ago. Just wanted to know:

-what kind of appliances and things do we absolutely have to replace?

-tips on eating out?

-what to do for retreats and summer camps (they will probably have mostly gluten to eat)

-where to buy gluten-free groceries?

-suggestions for everday, quick gluten free meals

- gluten-free store-bought meals? (canned, frozen, etc) me and my mom bought a few things, like gluten-free bread & Dinty Moore beef stew, but I can't live on that forever.

Luckily, I have some experience with living gluten-free. My mom went gluten free for some time about a year ago, and she would make gluten-free meals often. We also have some Glutino cereal and Gluten free pasta left over from that phase, haha. Which is good, because now for me, it is a necessity to live gluten free. 

Any tips from the veterans that they'd like to share? I am a young teenager, by the way, if it makes any difference.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Read this and have your mom do it too. Is she really just expecting you to figure it out on your own?

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I am extremely new to the gluten free community; I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 days ago. Just wanted to know:

-what kind of appliances and things do we absolutely have to replace?

Colanders, wooden and plastic if they are scratched and can't be cleaned well.   Wood you can sand off a layer if you want. and re-oil it.

-tips on eating out?

Don't.

-what to do for retreats and summer camps (they will probably have mostly gluten to eat)

Check with the camp etc before hand to see if the can accomodate your diet needs.   Some may be able to, but others won't.  You can bring lots of food with you or they can provide a place for you to cook your own meals.  You'd need to get some groceries in the area.

-where to buy gluten-free groceries?

Any health food store, and many regular grocery stores.   Look for items marked gluten-free. Online stores are good too.

-suggestions for everday, quick gluten free meals

Dessert thread
http://www.celiac.co...399#entry802399

Easy yummy bread in minutes
http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
http://www.celiac.co...l-ideas-anyone/

- gluten-free store-bought meals? (canned, frozen, etc) me and my mom bought a few things, like gluten-free bread & Dinty Moore beef stew, but I can't live on that forever.

Chex cereals and Peebles.

Luckily, I have some experience with living gluten-free. My mom went gluten free for some time about a year ago, and she would make gluten-free meals often. We also have some Glutino cereal and Gluten free pasta left over from that phase, haha. Which is good, because now for me, it is a necessity to live gluten free. 

Any tips from the veterans that they'd like to share? I am a young teenager, by the way, if it makes any difference.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: