4 replies to this topic

#1 glide4234

glide4234

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I just received my blood work from the Dr. after requesting a celiac panel. Just wondering if there is just a chance I'm celiac or if it is pretty likely. I have an appointment set up with a GI dr. But don't see him for a couple of weeks.

Here are my test results:

Transglutaminase Ab IgA
(H) 9.0. <4.0
Weak Positive

Anti-Gliad IgA, deamidated
(H) 23units. <20
Weak Positive

Anti-Gliad IgG, deamidated
(H) 120 units. <20
Moderate to Strong Positive

Endomysial Ab, S
(H)
Result: Positive Titer 1:40

Reticulin Ab
Negative

Any help interpreting these results would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks so much!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

With a positive endomysial antibody titer, there really isn't much doubt about it.  All your results are either weak or strong positive, except for the Reticulin Ab which is an outdated test and not recommended any more in testing for celiac.  Yes, I think it is time you started learning about the gluten free diet :)   Welcome to the club, and to the board.

You can start your reading with the Newbie Info 101 in the Coping With Celiac section.  It has loads of useful information. 

You may be referred to a GI for a scope and biopsies, which will probably be recommended to you.  Depending on your symptoms, it is often a good idea to go ahead and get this biopsy confirmation, because it gives an opportunity to assess the damage and a baseline against which to compare your healing.  It is also a chance to find out if there are any other problems.  He needs to take at least 6 samples for biopsy.

Do be sure to ask additional questions as they arise and we will do our best to answer them.  I wish you speedy healing.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Welcome to the board and, as Mushroom said, to the club. I agree with everything she said.  With an EMA titre that high, you probably have a fair amount of intestinal damage from celiac disease, and then with so many other positive tests... I'd say there is virtually no doubt about it.   :(

When you see the GI doctor, you might want to ask about nutritional deficiencies. May celiacs are low in D, B12, calcium, ferritin, iron, and potassium. Some docs will check your bone health because osteoporosis can be a very real result of low calcium levels. You might want to have your thyroid checked too; there is a strong link to Hashimoto's. In fact I had mine routinely checked and it came back as hashimotos.

You might want to keep eating gluten if you can, until at least your visit with the GI. If he wants to do a biopsy, most people have to keep eating gluten for an accurate biopsy result.

Best wishes. I hope you are well soon.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

No doubts here - welcome to the club!

The transition to gluten-free living can be tough - read all you can -- as Mushroom mentioned - start with the Newbie 101 thread and ask questions - it really is the best was to speed the transition period along.

Don't remove gluten until you have seen GI and you are certain you have had all necessary tests - this starting data is important - once gluten is limited or removed - you lose this valuable information.

Hamg in there - the waiting is no fun, but it is worth getting a proper diagnosis when possible.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 glide4234

glide4234

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks so much for your replies!

I look forward to meeting with the GI doc, going gluten free, and finally feeling better.

I've got lots to learn and I am thankful that this site exists :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: