This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oh The Things We Do When We Drink....

hannahisabrooks

hannahisabrooks Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiacs about five months ago, this will be important to remember for later. After experiencing strange and painful symptoms for over two years and then suffering terribly every day for about another two I have finally found the key to staying healthy, happy, and strong....not eating gluten. I'm finally free. 

However, apparently the gluten filter has not been imprinted firmly enough in my mind. I woke up this morning after a night on the town feeling a bit off and with a strange taste in my mouth. I frantically looked for my phone and credit cards and thankfully found everything. After finding my cc I looked up my charges and found a strange charge from a bar. After consulting with my friends, I found out I had ordered french fries and I ATE them.  I actually don't remember anything after a certain point of the night, when I ordered my second shot of rum, and I most certainly don't remember eating those fries. 

Those delicious morsels of oil and potato were certainly not gluten free and I am just now starting to feel the full effects  this morning and I will for some time to come. I feel the painful effects of eating gluten for a minimum of a month afterwards and I'm so mad at myself. My gums bleed and my joints swell and it becomes difficult to exercise or stand for long periods. This is actually the first time I've posted on here but it was the first thing I wanted to do. I need to know.

Will there come a point in my life where even when I'm black-out drunk I will have the clarity of mind to not eat gluten? I'm slightly worried because I've certainly done pretty stupid things before in my life while drunk and I'm sure I'll continue to but now that I have celiacs my physical well-being is at stake. I know there are plenty of others things I can do while drunk that would put my well-being at risk, but food and drinks at bars are so closely intertwined I'm really afraid I'll be in this situation again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi Hannah,

Welcome to the forum!

Trust me, we've all had "what the hell did I do" moments. Your instincts will get better, but that's no guarantee you'll never get glutened, it'll just be "what the hell was in this that wasn't supposed to be" instead.

Also, as you heal your tolerance for alcohol is going to go down. Trust me. Your body can now absorb all the booze, so a couple drinks might find you under the table when you used to be able to go all night. Pace yourself. Not only will you hopefully not be drunk enough to order gluteny things, but it'll be less iritating on your gut and you'll heal faster.

Oh, drinking tip: eat before you go out, and bring a snack in your purse in case you need it.

Anyway, others will have much better advice than me, I'm sure. I hope you feel better soon!

Happy healing

(edited for bad grammar)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Survey says: Lay off the rum for now.  :rolleyes: 

Give it a few months and when you do go out to drink again, don't get all drunk, silly!

kittty Contributor

Will there come a point in my life where even when I'm black-out drunk I will have the clarity of mind to not eat gluten?

Probably not, since being black-out drunk = losing all control. The best option is to avoid getting black-out drunk - which is a good option, celiac or not.

hannahisabrooks Newbie

Haha, if only you guys knew me. I rarely get really drunk, I only drink about twice a month. But yes, I guess when I go out and party I'll have to be more careful. Thanks!

hannahisabrooks Newbie

Kittty, I didn't lose all control, don't worry. But it is fun to drink and let loose every once in a while.

I suppose my question was this. Before I went to sleep, I had the clarity to go home, set my alarm, get into my night clothes, and so forth and I did all those things without having to think. I'm wondering if one day I'll not eat gluten accidently without having to think. It will just be natural for me.

I hope to get to that point at least.

gatita Enthusiast

I am always dreaming that I'm shoving a piece of bread in my mouth and I wake up in a panic. Yet in real life I've never come close. Yeah I've been CC'd but never ate anything I knew was likely to have gluten in the 8 months I've been gluten-free (except for 2 doctor supervised gluten challenges).

So yes, I think it does become second nature. I hope!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Kittty, I didn't lose all control, don't worry. But it is fun to drink and let loose every once in a while.

I suppose my question was this. Before I went to sleep, I had the clarity to go home, set my alarm, get into my night clothes, and so forth and I did all those things without having to think. I'm wondering if one day I'll not eat gluten accidently without having to think. It will just be natural for me.

I hope to get to that point at least.

To answer your question, there is no guarantee that you will ever 'behave' with your diet if you

have gotten so drunk that you don't remember doing the things you're talking about. If there's

enough alcohol in your system to make you forget what you've done, there's enough alcohol

in your system to make you forget your diet, too. It's possible, I've been FANTASTICALLY

snockered and still turned down all food (I just refuse to eat when I'm drunk  :rolleyes: )

but I know that about myself. So it's possible that you'll get there too. However, I've never in

my life managed to down enough alcohol to make me black out. I think it's cuz I'm Polish :D

So I don't know whether I would forget my diet during an amnesiac inebriation, because it's

never happened to me. I'd say it could go either way, and that for now it would be best to

keep the alcohol down to a reasonable volume. ;)

psawyer Proficient

I suppose my question was this. Before I went to sleep, I had the clarity to go home, set my alarm, get into my night clothes, and so forth and I did all those things without having to think. I'm wondering if one day I'll not eat gluten accentically without having to think. It will just be natural for me.

You follow a subconscious pattern while in this state. At some point, the diet may become ingrained to the point where you know subconsciously to reject food.

You said this happened after the second shot of rum. Even on an empty stomach, that is not a large intake. Typically an alcohol blackout is associated with far more than that consumption level. Alcohol is absorbed in the stomach as well as the intestine, so celiac damage to the villi is only part of the equation. But as the villi heal, you may absorb more of the alcohol, or absorb it more quickly.

Something is missing in the picture. You may have a problem with your metabolism (check liver function), or maybe you lost count and had more than two.

Archived