This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Work Lunch Ideas. Help

buckwheat

buckwheat Apprentice

Been taking leftovers for awhile and its getting old. Tired of taking homemade BBQ, chicken breast, hamburgers. I know about corn tortilla roll ups but you get sick of that quick. I'm a working man, I have two kids and I dont have time to make a fancy salad for lunch. I need some ideas that are quick in the microwave and will keep a man full for a long work day. Appreciate any help I can get, need real world blue collar ideas.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, how about chili, casseroles, hearty stews, pasta dishes, etc. These you can make on the weekend, and freeze in individual portions. Then you just move one to the fridge the night before, so it won't be frozen solid when you need to heat it up.

If you're not into baking bread, and the stuff at your local health foods store doesn't satisfy, then perhaps consider a bread machine. Then you'd also have some sandwich options to choose from.

BridgetteIMcleod Newbie

Have you tried lettuce wraps, use lettuce as the bread. Also baked potato, they can be topped with a variety of different options. Soups are also a good choice for lunch.

gatita Enthusiast

Maybe not blue collar lol but "Amy's" frozen gluten-free meals kept me going at work for months. (However, some people say they are bothered by them). They aren't super cheap, but they are very easy and hearty! They make gluten-free lasagna, all kinds of chili bowls, maco cheese, etc.

Also Trader Joe's gluten-free pizza has been my lunch more than once.

Hormel chili is supposed to be gluten-free, as well as a bunch of Dinty Moore microwavable meals: Open Original Shared Link

Right now I'm off all grains to lose weight, but my mouth is watering as I write about that stuff LOL

tarnalberry Community Regular

Been taking leftovers for awhile and its getting old. Tired of taking homemade BBQ, chicken breast, hamburgers. I know about corn tortilla roll ups but you get sick of that quick. I'm a working man, I have two kids and I dont have time to make a fancy salad for lunch. I need some ideas that are quick in the microwave and will keep a man full for a long work day. Appreciate any help I can get, need real world blue collar ideas.

Thanks

I always did leftovers, and my husband does too.

Stir-fry of many varieties, pasta salad, soups (chicken rice and lentil are popular around here and are very filling the way we make them), chili.  We do absolutely zero extra work to make lunch.  We just put up leftovers after dinner, and pull out a container to put in a lunch bag the next morning.

buckwheat Apprentice

Thanks for the idea! keep them coming. I'm sure there helping out other people too.

ndw3363 Contributor

I recently made a chicken sausage and peppers meal that has fed me lunch for 3 days so far.  Basic recipe is potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, and cut up chicken Italian sausage (you can of course use regular as long as it's gluten-free).  Roast it all in the oven and voila - lunch!!  Since I don't eat white potatoes, I substituted sweet potatoes.  I also added cut up brussels sprouts for added veggie content - they are my new obsession.  Heating up the last of it for lunch today - hungry already!  I agree with the suggestions above as well.  Since I stay mostly low carb, I will cook a spaghetti squash for "pasta" lunches also.  Mix cooked spaghetti squash with some alfredo and canned tomatoes...heaven.  I use different sauces all the time depending on my mood or where I am in rotation diets, etc.  You can add all kinds of stuff to it (ground beef, sausage, veggies, chicken, etc).  Can also cook up a large pan of enchiladas to reheat over a couple days - yum!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

lolz husband says:

S T E A K

(he gets samwiches, potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, etc.. - when he is on the road, i give him microwavable leftover dinners one for each night he is gone, in addition to lunch items.  he has a mini-fridge and a microwave in his truck.  lasagne, macaroni & cheese, meat, vege,, taters.....and, sometimes, he gets S T E A K)  

you could also have soup - i don't give him soup as sometimes he eats while driving.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Buckwheat,

You might find something in these threads.  You could also try doing some crock pot meals and freezing portions in plastic bags.  If you make a different crock pot meal each weekend you can freeze portions you can have a nice variety after awhile.

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/97786-thread-for-gluten-free-dairy-soy-corn-and-nightshade-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/97027-super-easy-meal-ideas-anyone/

RyeSnake Newbie

When I was in a hurry, I use gluten free soup over rice.  Also like using frozen gluten free waffles (unflavored) mic'd 40 seconds and hamburer pattie.  Can also get the "Againts-the-grain"  Open Original Shared Link  frozen bread microwaved and fill with store bought sub or your own ham and cheese from home.

Rye

Archived