9 replies to this topic

#1 buckwheat

buckwheat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

Been taking leftovers for awhile and its getting old. Tired of taking homemade BBQ, chicken breast, hamburgers. I know about corn tortilla roll ups but you get sick of that quick. I'm a working man, I have two kids and I dont have time to make a fancy salad for lunch. I need some ideas that are quick in the microwave and will keep a man full for a long work day. Appreciate any help I can get, need real world blue collar ideas.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well, how about chili, casseroles, hearty stews, pasta dishes, etc. These you can make on the weekend, and freeze in individual portions. Then you just move one to the fridge the night before, so it won't be frozen solid when you need to heat it up.

If you're not into baking bread, and the stuff at your local health foods store doesn't satisfy, then perhaps consider a bread machine. Then you'd also have some sandwich options to choose from.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 BridgetteIMcleod

BridgetteIMcleod

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Have you tried lettuce wraps, use lettuce as the bread. Also baked potato, they can be topped with a variety of different options. Soups are also a good choice for lunch.

#4 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Maybe not blue collar lol but "Amy's" frozen gluten-free meals kept me going at work for months. (However, some people say they are bothered by them). They aren't super cheap, but they are very easy and hearty! They make gluten-free lasagna, all kinds of chili bowls, maco cheese, etc.

Also Trader Joe's gluten-free pizza has been my lunch more than once.

Hormel chili is supposed to be gluten-free, as well as a bunch of Dinty Moore microwavable meals: http://www.hormelfoo...n-Free-Products

Right now I'm off all grains to lose weight, but my mouth is watering as I write about that stuff LOL

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Been taking leftovers for awhile and its getting old. Tired of taking homemade BBQ, chicken breast, hamburgers. I know about corn tortilla roll ups but you get sick of that quick. I'm a working man, I have two kids and I dont have time to make a fancy salad for lunch. I need some ideas that are quick in the microwave and will keep a man full for a long work day. Appreciate any help I can get, need real world blue collar ideas.

Thanks

I always did leftovers, and my husband does too.

Stir-fry of many varieties, pasta salad, soups (chicken rice and lentil are popular around here and are very filling the way we make them), chili.  We do absolutely zero extra work to make lunch.  We just put up leftovers after dinner, and pull out a container to put in a lunch bag the next morning.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 buckwheat

buckwheat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the idea! keep them coming. I'm sure there helping out other people too.

#7 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

I recently made a chicken sausage and peppers meal that has fed me lunch for 3 days so far.  Basic recipe is potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, and cut up chicken Italian sausage (you can of course use regular as long as it's gluten-free).  Roast it all in the oven and voila - lunch!!  Since I don't eat white potatoes, I substituted sweet potatoes.  I also added cut up brussels sprouts for added veggie content - they are my new obsession.  Heating up the last of it for lunch today - hungry already!  I agree with the suggestions above as well.  Since I stay mostly low carb, I will cook a spaghetti squash for "pasta" lunches also.  Mix cooked spaghetti squash with some alfredo and canned tomatoes...heaven.  I use different sauces all the time depending on my mood or where I am in rotation diets, etc.  You can add all kinds of stuff to it (ground beef, sausage, veggies, chicken, etc).  Can also cook up a large pan of enchiladas to reheat over a couple days - yum!

#8 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

lolz husband says:

S T E A K

(he gets samwiches, potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, etc.. - when he is on the road, i give him microwavable leftover dinners one for each night he is gone, in addition to lunch items.  he has a mini-fridge and a microwave in his truck.  lasagne, macaroni & cheese, meat, vege,, taters.....and, sometimes, he gets S T E A K)  

you could also have soup - i don't give him soup as sometimes he eats while driving.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi Buckwheat,

You might find something in these threads.  You could also try doing some crock pot meals and freezing portions in plastic bags.  If you make a different crock pot meal each weekend you can freeze portions you can have a nice variety after awhile.

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
http://www.celiac.co...l-ideas-anyone/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 RyeSnake

RyeSnake

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

When I was in a hurry, I use gluten free soup over rice.  Also like using frozen gluten free waffles (unflavored) mic'd 40 seconds and hamburer pattie.  Can also get the "Againts-the-grain"  http://www.againstthegraingourmet.com/  frozen bread microwaved and fill with store bought sub or your own ham and cheese from home.

Rye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: