12 replies to this topic

#1 Colleeney

Colleeney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

I am desperately trying to figure out what made my son and I sick last week. The only thing I can come up with is the Safeway hamburger. Can that be possible? Has anyone ever had that experience? I am extremely sensitive and have been so super careful. Canned tuna got me as the vegetable broth they add wasn't gluten free although Starkist disagreed. Why would there be gluten in a hunk of ground cow, or horse for that matter!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

No, there wouldnt be. There is a chance when it comes to seasoned stuff though.

There are however additives that make the meat stay that bright color. Sage oil is an example of this. I cannot eat it due to that, so i buy from a local family run butcher.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

If the vegetable broth from the tuna had wheat, they would be required to list that.

I don't see any reason the tuna or the plain ground beef would have gluten.  Its possible, if it came from a meat counter that something from another meat product fell in the hamburger.  Like some breading if they sell breaded cutlets in the same open case.

Sometimes, when you are new to the diet, you can either miss something that is glutening you or your insides are so damaged something else bothers you.  For example, ground beef is very fatty and that can be hard for some people.  You might have rinsed the fruit in a colander that you used for gluten pasta, etc, etc, etc.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Safeway did do a recall of ground beef a few months back because of E. Coli found in their meat. A mild E. Coli infection can mimic a glutening.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hamburger--ground beef--is inherently gluten-free. Pre-formed hamburger patties sometimes have bread crumbs as a binder--read the ingredients list. If included, the word "wheat" will appear on the label. Always read the label.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

If you are buying plain meat at a store, it should be safe.  Unless perhaps you are buying it from the butcher counter.  If so, check there and see if they have any breaded meats, meatloaf mix, or anything else that might have gluten in it.  If there is such stuff, it could have been cross contaminated.  Do beware taco meat at some restaurants because they might put gluten in there.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

I did, once, years ago, find a package that looked like ground beef.  I think it was labeled "ground beef for hamburgers" or "ground beef for meatloaf".  It had an ingredient list that included breadcrumbs.  So, I will say that it pays to actually read the package.  But the package MUST state if it has wheat in it, and the "title" of the package will give you some clues too.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

People have welll addressed the ground beef and as stated it should be safe unless cross contaminated. The tuna you mentioned is indeed gluten free as the company says. You may have an issue with soy which is in the veg broth in many tunas. I buy the one that is just water and I think there is also a brand that packages in olive oil. Read the whole label and look for a brand that packages in just water and you will be okay with the tuna. I think the Starkist in the Gold can is the one I buy if I am not shopping at Wegmans, but I'm not sure.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 Colleeney

Colleeney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thank you all for the info. However I cry as I write this. I look 12 months pregnant with bloating and discomfort. I was diagnosed 4 year's ago and stripped the kitchen; new everything including pots and pans, cutting boards etc. I do try to read each label but have messed up sometimes when in a hurry and think I remember the correct brand but don't. I was on a trip recently and got glutened from eating out. But the week after not only was I sick but my son was too which meant I must have cooked something w gluten. It feels so much worse when I do it to him than me. I cannot figure out where the contamination is coming from except another weird one that the soap I use to clean the counters may have a residue that I pick up on my hands inadvertently. I do have a fatty liver that I struggle to control and with traveling probably messed up big time too. I also was given new hormone patches which I wonder if they cause bloating. It's all so frustrating. Do I have a gluten contamination, fat issue or hormone or all. I feel horrible, look like an ancient pregnant lady and all my neuropathology issues are back. I have 1 week before returning to my cardio doc who has threaten a whacking (she's really great and funny, not serious) if I'm not 8lbs lighter. The blimp is not and I'm not walking as much cuz my muscles keep seizing up and yes I stretch the mechanics of walking is different. Sigh, sorry. Just really really frustrated

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Have you considered cutting out soy or corn? Both can act the same as a glutening can.

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thank you all for the info. However I cry as I write this. I look 12 months pregnant with bloating and discomfort. I was diagnosed 4 year's ago and stripped the kitchen; new everything including pots and pans, cutting boards etc. I do try to read each label but have messed up sometimes when in a hurry and think I remember the correct brand but don't. I was on a trip recently and got glutened from eating out. But the week after not only was I sick but my son was too which meant I must have cooked something w gluten. It feels so much worse when I do it to him than me. I cannot figure out where the contamination is coming from except another weird one that the soap I use to clean the counters may have a residue that I pick up on my hands inadvertently. I do have a fatty liver that I struggle to control and with traveling probably messed up big time too. I also was given new hormone patches which I wonder if they cause bloating. It's all so frustrating. Do I have a gluten contamination, fat issue or hormone or all. I feel horrible, look like an ancient pregnant lady and all my neuropathology issues are back. I have 1 week before returning to my cardio doc who has threaten a whacking (she's really great and funny, not serious) if I'm not 8lbs lighter. The blimp is not and I'm not walking as much cuz my muscles keep seizing up and yes I stretch the mechanics of walking is different. Sigh, sorry. Just really really frustrated

If it's any comfort to you, I always look pregnant.  And I don't have issues with gluten.  In my case, I think, it's caused by gastroparesis.  Slowed digestion.  Which you can also have when you have celiac.  I also have tons of food intolerances.  As does my daughter.  And I know what you mean.  I have accidentally fed her something she shouldn't have.  And then I always feel bad.

#12 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

For some of us eliminate just gluten is enough , for some of us it takes more to be healthy.

Have you kept  a food journal?

I  agree with the suggestion of elimination soy and corn 'completely '  to see if those are the possible cause . 

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#13 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

check back with the store.  I know years ago when working in a kitchen we used sliced bread to "clean" the slicer.  perhaps they put bread thru the grinder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: