• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

mare bear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I was just diagnosed with allergies to wheat and gluten does that mean I have celiac s disease ????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,564 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

A wheat allergy is different than Celiac. did they run the Celiac blood panel? You don't have an allergy to gluten - you have an allergy to wheat or rye or barley.

http://www.curecelia...d-wheat-allergy

"What’s the difference between celiac disease, gluten intolerance, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wheat allergy?
We use “gluten intolerance” when referring to the entire category of gluten issues: celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wheat allergy.
Celiac disease is an inherited autoimmune disorder that affects the digestive process
of the small intestine.
“Non-celiac gluten sensitivity” (what many call “gluten intolerance”) causes the body to mount a stress response (often GI symptoms) different from the immunological response that occurs in those who have celiac disease (which most often causes intestinal tissue damage).
As with most allergies, a wheat allergy causes the immune system to respond to a food protein because it considers it dangerous to the body when it actually isn’t. This immune response is often time-limited and does not cause lasting harm to body tissues."

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

No, but you must follow a simalar diet:  No wheat and other glutenous grains.  I hope that will improve your health.

Diana

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

mare bear,

Welcome to the club! :D

I have been tentatively diagnosed with wheat allergy and also have gluten intolerance symptoms too. The gluten-free diet has not only helped my symptoms but cleared up a bunch of other stuff I didn't know was related, like joint pain. Hopefully you find the same relief.

You'll find tons of assistance here to help you navigate this ocean, this is a terrific site.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: