3 replies to this topic

#1 mare bear

mare bear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I was just diagnosed with allergies to wheat and gluten does that mean I have celiac s disease ????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

A wheat allergy is different than Celiac. did they run the Celiac blood panel? You don't have an allergy to gluten - you have an allergy to wheat or rye or barley.

http://www.curecelia...d-wheat-allergy

"What’s the difference between celiac disease, gluten intolerance, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wheat allergy?
We use “gluten intolerance” when referring to the entire category of gluten issues: celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wheat allergy.
Celiac disease is an inherited autoimmune disorder that affects the digestive process
of the small intestine.
“Non-celiac gluten sensitivity” (what many call “gluten intolerance”) causes the body to mount a stress response (often GI symptoms) different from the immunological response that occurs in those who have celiac disease (which most often causes intestinal tissue damage).
As with most allergies, a wheat allergy causes the immune system to respond to a food protein because it considers it dangerous to the body when it actually isn’t. This immune response is often time-limited and does not cause lasting harm to body tissues."

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

No, but you must follow a simalar diet:  No wheat and other glutenous grains.  I hope that will improve your health.

Diana

#4 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

mare bear,

Welcome to the club! :D

I have been tentatively diagnosed with wheat allergy and also have gluten intolerance symptoms too. The gluten-free diet has not only helped my symptoms but cleared up a bunch of other stuff I didn't know was related, like joint pain. Hopefully you find the same relief.

You'll find tons of assistance here to help you navigate this ocean, this is a terrific site.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: