18 replies to this topic

#1 Oria

Oria

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I love mayo but lately I can't eat more than a few bites of it without feeling nauseous. I've tried three different brands and it's all the same. :(  Anyone else like this?  Have any of you found a good tasting alternative? I really miss my salads!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Have you tried something soy free? Lots of people have soy problems and you could simply need a soy free mayo replacement.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Mom used to make her own.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Smushed avocados?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Did somebody say "smushed?"  :lol: 

http://www.celiac.co...d-from-avocado/

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

hummus is a good option for replacing mayo on sandwiches and such.  Greek yogurt can be used to replace mayo for recipes like chicken salad.

There is also some replacements products buy Smart Balance (or Earth Balance) but I have never found them at my grocery store.

If your gut is damaged it could be a difficulty with the fat malabsorbtion, and that can get better as your gut heals.  If it is another food intolerance/allergy mayo has eggs in it and most of the time soy too.

Michigan

#7 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Tahini sauce and tzatziki sauce are great on sandwiches, and I second using hummus. Lots of these sauces can also add protein, which a lot of us celiacs are deficient in.

#8 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have taken to frying or poaching an egg to pop on top of a salad :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#9 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

If it turns out to be the egg in mayo that is bothering you, there are egg-free mayo products on the market. One such is called Veganaise. There is also the possibility that the type of oil is the problem. Many mayonnaise products have soy and/or canola, both of which are known to be troublesome to many.

You can also make your own mayo, which is very easy to do. Then you'll know exactly what's in it, and you can experiment with the recipe if you need to. Homemade also costs less.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#10 Oria

Oria

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

EGGS! Facepalm moment for me here. lol I'm allergic to the yolks. Totally didn't think of that one!  Thanks, I'll see if I can find some. :]

Thanks for the replies everyone!

#11 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

I am not allergic to eggs, so have not tried this eggless mock mayo recipe.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

dash paprika

dash cayenne

1 Tablespoon vinegar

1 cup canola oil

1 cup water

2 teaspoons arrowroot

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

dash onion powder

Blend together until mayonnaise consistency, store as you would mayonnaise. Looks, smells, and tastes like the real thing. Use for pasta and bean salads.

#12 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Nay inside is good, I think they now have a soy free

#13 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

I am not allergic to eggs, so have not tried this eggless mock mayo recipe.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

dash paprika

dash cayenne

1 Tablespoon vinegar

1 cup canola oil

1 cup water

2 teaspoons arrowroot

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

dash onion powder

Blend together until mayonnaise consistency, store as you would mayonnaise. Looks, smells, and tastes like the real thing. Use for pasta and bean salads.

Since arrowroot needs to be cooked, I'd suggest combining the water which is already called for in the recipe with the arrowroot, and cook that until fully thickened. Some evaporation will occur during the cooking process, so measure afterward, and add more water as necessary, to bring it back up to about one cup. Allow to cool, then proceed with the recipe. Alternatively, if you can have corn, there's Instant ClearJel, which does not require cooking.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#14 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Since arrowroot needs to be cooked, I'd suggest combining the water which is already called for in the recipe with the arrowroot, and cook that until fully thickened. Some evaporation will occur during the cooking process, so measure afterward, and add more water as necessary, to bring it back up to about one cup. Allow to cool, then proceed with the recipe. Alternatively, if you can have corn, there's Instant ClearJel, which does not require cooking.

Good suggestion. I have no idea where the recipe came from, but someone named Melissa Taylor suggested it. On ocassion I make my own mayo using eggs and and it is excellent. I have many food issues, including soy, and am so happy that I can purchase Best Foods Canola mayo at a reasonable price at Walmart.

#15 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Here is another possible alternative.....this one posted by Suzin....perhaps on this website.

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup water

1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sweet rice flour

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Put all ingredients in a blender jar and blend for about 3 minutes. This is a basic recipe....I usually add some seasonings....1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes and a small pinch cayenne to make it a ranch dressing but you can add any seasoning you like. This keeps well in the frig, about 2 weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: