This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alternative For Mayonnaise?

Oria

Oria Rookie

I love mayo but lately I can't eat more than a few bites of it without feeling nauseous. I've tried three different brands and it's all the same. :(  Anyone else like this?  Have any of you found a good tasting alternative? I really miss my salads!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Have you tried something soy free? Lots of people have soy problems and you could simply need a soy free mayo replacement.

bartfull Rising Star

Mom used to make her own.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Smushed avocados?

Takala Enthusiast
mommida Enthusiast

hummus is a good option for replacing mayo on sandwiches and such.  Greek yogurt can be used to replace mayo for recipes like chicken salad.

There is also some replacements products buy Smart Balance (or Earth Balance) but I have never found them at my grocery store.

If your gut is damaged it could be a difficulty with the fat malabsorbtion, and that can get better as your gut heals.  If it is another food intolerance/allergy mayo has eggs in it and most of the time soy too.

kittty Contributor

Tahini sauce and tzatziki sauce are great on sandwiches, and I second using hummus. Lots of these sauces can also add protein, which a lot of us celiacs are deficient in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I have taken to frying or poaching an egg to pop on top of a salad :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

If it turns out to be the egg in mayo that is bothering you, there are egg-free mayo products on the market. One such is called Veganaise. There is also the possibility that the type of oil is the problem. Many mayonnaise products have soy and/or canola, both of which are known to be troublesome to many.

You can also make your own mayo, which is very easy to do. Then you'll know exactly what's in it, and you can experiment with the recipe if you need to. Homemade also costs less.

Oria Rookie

EGGS! Facepalm moment for me here. lol I'm allergic to the yolks. Totally didn't think of that one!  Thanks, I'll see if I can find some. :]

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ginsou Explorer

I am not allergic to eggs, so have not tried this eggless mock mayo recipe.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

dash paprika

dash cayenne

1 Tablespoon vinegar

1 cup canola oil

1 cup water

2 teaspoons arrowroot

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

dash onion powder

Blend together until mayonnaise consistency, store as you would mayonnaise. Looks, smells, and tastes like the real thing. Use for pasta and bean salads.

stanleymonkey Explorer

Nay inside is good, I think they now have a soy free

RiceGuy Collaborator

I am not allergic to eggs, so have not tried this eggless mock mayo recipe.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

dash paprika

dash cayenne

1 Tablespoon vinegar

1 cup canola oil

1 cup water

2 teaspoons arrowroot

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

dash onion powder

Blend together until mayonnaise consistency, store as you would mayonnaise. Looks, smells, and tastes like the real thing. Use for pasta and bean salads.

Since arrowroot needs to be cooked, I'd suggest combining the water which is already called for in the recipe with the arrowroot, and cook that until fully thickened. Some evaporation will occur during the cooking process, so measure afterward, and add more water as necessary, to bring it back up to about one cup. Allow to cool, then proceed with the recipe. Alternatively, if you can have corn, there's Instant ClearJel, which does not require cooking.

Ginsou Explorer

Since arrowroot needs to be cooked, I'd suggest combining the water which is already called for in the recipe with the arrowroot, and cook that until fully thickened. Some evaporation will occur during the cooking process, so measure afterward, and add more water as necessary, to bring it back up to about one cup. Allow to cool, then proceed with the recipe. Alternatively, if you can have corn, there's Instant ClearJel, which does not require cooking.

Good suggestion. I have no idea where the recipe came from, but someone named Melissa Taylor suggested it. On ocassion I make my own mayo using eggs and and it is excellent. I have many food issues, including soy, and am so happy that I can purchase Best Foods Canola mayo at a reasonable price at Walmart.

Ginsou Explorer

Here is another possible alternative.....this one posted by Suzin....perhaps on this website.

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup water

1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sweet rice flour

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Put all ingredients in a blender jar and blend for about 3 minutes. This is a basic recipe....I usually add some seasonings....1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes and a small pinch cayenne to make it a ranch dressing but you can add any seasoning you like. This keeps well in the frig, about 2 weeks.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here is another possible alternative.....this one posted by Suzin....perhaps on this website.

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup water

1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sweet rice flour

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Put all ingredients in a blender jar and blend for about 3 minutes. This is a basic recipe....I usually add some seasonings....1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes and a small pinch cayenne to make it a ranch dressing but you can add any seasoning you like. This keeps well in the frig, about 2 weeks.

Yes, I've seen this one (or something very much the same) on this forum before, and the sweet potato flour would of course also need to be cooked first. It's not a big deal to do, but it seems to be left out of the directions most of the time. A raw flour/starch simply doesn't thicken nearly as much as a cooked one. Incidentally, from all my experiments with making mayo, lemon juice makes for a stiffer result than vinegar, but of course there is a difference in taste. Some brands of mayo use one of these, while others use both.

• 1 month later...
NiceNurse Newbie

Just curious, as mayonaisse is gluten free why are you making it? 

kareng Grand Master

When I read the responses - some make it because they can't find a soy free one where they live or an egg free one they like.  Has nothing to do with gluten.  Just thier other intolerances or allergies.

love2travel Mentor

Homemade is vastly tastier! That is why I make it.

Archived