4 replies to this topic

#1 maximoo

maximoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I am a lousy cook but i didn't mess up this recipe for ziti.  My very picky DS even liked it.

**NOTE**  cook pasta for 1/2 the time it says on the box or it will be too mushy.  It was a little too garlicy for me so I need to put a little less but to each his own.  I also added 3/4 lb ground beef. For those like it real meaty  add more meat 1-1 1/4 lb.  Yummy! 

http://glutenfreelic...ucy-baked-ziti/ Saucy Baked Ziti Penne

16 oz package gluten-free pasta (I actually don’t know that a gluten-free ziti even exists.  I like to use Tinkyadaor Trader Joe’s brown rice penne.)
6 cups pasta sauce (I like Classico Four Cheese Pasta Sauce.)
4 cups mozzarella cheese
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 tbsp Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a big bowl, mix hot pasta, 2 1/2 cups sauce, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic powder.

Spread 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce across the bottom of a 13″x9″ pan.  Top with pasta mixture.  Cover with remaining 2 cups sauce.  Sprinkle with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted.

ENJOY!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

I made this the other night and the hubs loved it. Since it's just the two of us next time I will cut the recipe in half. It is very rich. Thanks for posting.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#3 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

I made this the other night and the hubs loved it. Since it's just the two of us next time I will cut the recipe in half. It is very rich. Thanks for posting.

U can put 1/2 in  the freezer in serving size containers.  I'm gonna make it again tonight, with more meat & less garlic.

#4 missamanda

missamanda

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

wow sounds great I will make this thanks for the post

I am a lousy cook but i didn't mess up this recipe for ziti.  My very picky DS even liked it.

**NOTE**  cook pasta for 1/2 the time it says on the box or it will be too mushy.  It was a little too garlicy for me so I need to put a little less but to each his own.  I also added 3/4 lb ground beef. For those like it real meaty  add more meat 1-1 1/4 lb.  Yummy! 

http://glutenfreelic...ucy-baked-ziti/ Saucy Baked Ziti Penne

16 oz package gluten-free pasta (I actually don’t know that a gluten-free ziti even exists.  I like to use Tinkyadaor Trader Joe’s brown rice penne.)
6 cups pasta sauce (I like Classico Four Cheese Pasta Sauce.)
4 cups mozzarella cheese
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 tbsp Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a big bowl, mix hot pasta, 2 1/2 cups sauce, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic powder.

Spread 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce across the bottom of a 13″x9″ pan.  Top with pasta mixture.  Cover with remaining 2 cups sauce.  Sprinkle with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted.

ENJOY!

#5 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

You are welcome!  When non- cookers like me  find a simple & delicious recipe it is only fair to share with others who also may be culinary challenged. :D

Well as promised I made this ziti again tonight with less garlic, more meat (close to 1 lb) & I also cut the ricotta down to about 4oz. (not a fan)  and I  used a different sauce Bertolli ,5 cheese (it was buy 1 get 1 free-who cld resist?) And we all agree it was better than the 1st time! 

So you can tweak the ingredients a little to you/your family's liking. It may take a few times but its always good. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: