8 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Lately celiac has really been messing with my period.  Like for instance, in Nov.  I had 2 periods in one month.  Dec. and Jan were normal-ish.  I had one in Late Feb. and now I am having another one.  They seem to come at random.  Very annoying.  I also feel like crap on my period.  I am still dealing with intestinal inflammation and malabsorbtion issues.  My intestine is still really raw and inflamed.  (i've only been at this since the beginning of Jan with screw-ups in between.  I had to do a gluten challenge and it was horrible. I am dealing with all of that still)  a period does not help matters.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

I found that gluten makes any PMS type symptoms worse.  I also had issues with very heavy periods on gluten.  Depending on your age, it could be peri menopause.  Celiac can cause early menopause.  I heard that in a recent webinar you can access here: http://www.celiaccen...binars/archive/

I'm really sorry that you had to suffer through a gluten challenge.  Whatever it is, I hope that you feel better soon.

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Steph.  I have noticed that gluten makes my PMS worse.  It also causes heavy and irregular periods.  Sadly, my undiagnosed celiac that went on for years robbed me from my chance of having children.  I think it is a combo.  of gluten and peri.  I am over 40 so that could def. be involved.  

I was gluten free for 3 years and started having problems.  I went to a new gastro and he had me do a gluten challenge.  I lasted a few days and am still paying the price.  I developed DH everywhere and the intestinal issues are still causing me problems.  My gut feels tender and swollen and a period made it so much worse.

Thanks.  

Edited for my horrible typing skills.   :)

Edited by GFreeMO, 08 March 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hippocratic Oath

"I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone."

#5 mommyof4

mommyof4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm glad you brought this question up.  I find that sometimes it is difficult to know if symptoms I deal with are related to Celiac Disease, aging, peri-menopause, "normal" woman issues...it's crazy to sift through!

Have you been in to see your gyno just to make sure everything is ok?    

I have had some issues with ovulation & my periods also...I am 41 yrs old & was dianosed Celiac in Fall of 2011...not sure how many years undiagnosed.  What is crazy with me, is my G.I. issues get worse during ovulation & my period.  My paps are normal & I've had my ovaries ultrasounded.

Thank you, Steph, for that link to the webinar about perimenopause.  I've talked to my G.I. dr about my issues with my period.  The main response I get is that inflammation during those times of the month can affect our whole system, but to make sure I am seeing my gyno. also.

Anyways, sorry you are dealing with this...keep us posted on how things are going.

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Steph, that is my thought exactly!

mommy of 4, I was at the gyn in Dec.  I mentioned it to her and she didn't seem at all concerned.  Just a celiac or peri thing I suppose.  

#7 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

After going gluten free, I noticed that my PMS and period symptoms became much worse too - once I even called the GYN to ask for a pain medication because Midol (my usual go-to for period pains) wasn't even making a dent anymore.  I was surprised when she switched my birth control medication to something else - I thought, "yeah ok, this wont work but I'll humor her this time.."  Now its been fine and my periods are very light without the pain.  Would you consider taking birth control just to regulate yourself and your periods??  Just a thought...  :)

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#8 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Also childless here. However, my periods were regular like clockwork until going gluten-free. Then I missed three in a row and now back on schedule. I think I've had this for so long, it would be impossible to know what "normal" is regarding PMS and menstrual symptoms. Being a rookie at Celiac, the longest I've made it is 35 days without being glutened (which means I'm either suffering or recovering when my period hits). Everything is awfully close in proximity in there and it stands to reason any inflammation will increase symptoms in either direction.

I thought it weird that my body reacted AFTER I eliminated gluten but think I threw everything into roller coaster mode with the back & forth issues of mistakes & recovery.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#9 EricaM15

EricaM15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've been having a similar problem. I was diagnosed with PCOS last October. I had a bad reaction to the medication they gave me to manage the symptoms, and I decided to go gluten-free at the beginning of December. When I was eliminating gluten, my periods came on time with no medication (only two or three times in a row), but now it seems like it's late every time I discover a new intolerance. Thankfully, it hasn't been painful. Last month, I had breakthrough bleeding that lasted a week before my period actually came. It's frustrating, but I assume once I get everything stable, it will start to regulate itself the way it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: