Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Slow Or Delayed Reaction Possible With Celiac?

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 Cristine

Cristine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hi!

my two year old used to have some form of gluten sensitivity, it greatly aggravated his infant eczema. However, about 4 months ago the small amount of eczema that remained around his ankles no matter what went away. I reintroduced a small amount of gluten into his diet and he seemed fine and the eczema never returned. I spoke with an allergist and she felt that it was likely he had outgrown his gluten sensitivity and there was no reason to avoid it any longer However, beginning around the last week and a half he has started having very smelly, extremely sticky stools almost every time he has a bowel movement, and he's had two episodes of small amounts of regurgitation (though gluten was not in the food he spit up either time). So, my question is, can it take a while between the introduction of gluten and the onset of symptoms? Four months seems like a long time to me but I don't really have any other ideas at this point as to what is causing the really messy stools. 

Thanks for any personal experience or insight you can offer. My son has other medical issues so I'd rather avoid unnecessary testing and don't want to test him unless it looks strongly like this is the problem. He does have another food allergy so it's also possible he's developed a different allergy to something else, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

It can take a while, if he has Celiac, to build up the antibody response enough to make troubles. I think for small kids it can be a year. If its Celiac, its doing damage, whether you see it or not.

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: