38 replies to this topic

#16 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Product reviews are always helpful and don't let we folks with green eyes put you off doing them :)   I'm like GFreeMO, I long since gave up even looking in the frozen meal case (helps speed me through the store :P and keeps the dial down on my annoyance meter), but it's nice to know that others are being well served by the gluten-free food industry.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Product reviews are always helpful and don't let we folks with green eyes put you off doing them :)   I'm like GFreeMO, I long since gave up even looking in the frozen meal case (helps speed me through the store :P and keeps the dial down on my annoyance meter), but it's nice to know that others are being well served by the gluten-free food industry.

Amen Sista!  Also keeps the grocery bill down.   :)

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wine...that sounds perfect -- one more errand and then Zin :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Heck I dunno.  :unsure:

Gemini, I sure hope that you are right.  B/c all of this cooking from scratch is a PITA.  Before my stupid gluten challenge, I could eat a few processed foods. Now, nothing. Meat, fruit and veg.  Sucks

Sorry to hijack your thread Karen!  

Carry on celiacs...don't mind me.   :)

I wanted to add that I really do understand your frustration over your ultra limited diet.  I did the candida diet twice in my life, pre-Celiac diagnosis and that was a total bitch to do.  I really did have a systemic candida problem and constantly suffered with bouts of thrush.  It was all because of the Celiac I did not know I had and it really disrupted the flora balance in my gut.  I had to abstain from all kinds of sugar....totally, because sugar feeds yeast. The only carb I could eat was brown rice because that is a whole carb and my doctor didn't want me losing any more weight.  I was already too thin to begin with.   But it was essentially protein and veggies.......the only fruit I could eat was underripe bananas. Yoghurt had to be totally sugar free.  I did it for a year and it worked really well but it was the most food boring year of my life.  I never went out to eat, either.  No alcohol.  Man, I can't believe I survived it, from an emotional point of view.  I think that's why the gluten-free diet seems so easy to me.  I can eat many more foods now then ever before so thank God for that.

I really believe that if you can stick out the rough part here, you'll gain foods back. But it is a really hard road to follow.  If nothing else, it builds strength of mind and body. But, I understand the urge to just scream your lungs out on occasion..... :)

#20 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Where can we buy these meals? I'd love to pick up some so I have something I can eat when my husband wants something I can't have.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#21 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

I've had the meals from Artisan Bistro, they are pretty dang good. I liked the Organic Bistro brand

as well, I don't think they're related. Also, Feel Good Foods makes egg rolls you heat up in the

toaster oven- those are the tastiest frozen gluten free food I've had in 8 years of experimentation.

They're incredible. I'm grain free entirely right now, so I pretty much just can't go in a store that I

know sells them because I just can't stop myself. I have to just not go in..... It's bad.... :ph34r:

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#22 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Oh, Tater, for any food you want to find in your area, a good strategy is to go to the brand

website. They'll usually have some kind of search engine or guide for how to find their product

in your area.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#23 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hooray, Karen has opened the door for those of us who can handle and like a pressed, frozen meal (taboo).  I raise my hand and admit: I love Amys burritos,  yup, get them all the time.  I put warmed salsa on the plate then the cooked burrito then top with shredded cheese.  It is my go to food when hubs is out of ideas, lol.

And also, just like some people will say it tastes like cardboard, my taste buds have evolved to try a food without comparing it to its gluten counterpart.  Hubs has not mastered this yet.  

Thanks for the post Karen.

Colleen.  drooling.png

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#24 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I've had the meals from Artisan Bistro, they are pretty dang good. I liked the Organic Bistro brand

as well, I don't think they're related. Also, Feel Good Foods makes egg rolls you heat up in the

toaster oven- those are the tastiest frozen gluten free food I've had in 8 years of experimentation.

They're incredible. I'm grain free entirely right now, so I pretty much just can't go in a store that I

know sells them because I just can't stop myself. I have to just not go in..... It's bad.... :ph34r:

I'll second the thumbs up on the egg rolls.  They have a veggie one and a chicken one. I like the chicken.  They are really, really good, considering there is no gluten in the egg roll.  They are big too, so quite filling.

#25 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

As long as we are reviewing frozen foods, here's one of my favorites:  http://www.prweb.com...rweb8824920.htm

I have only tried the mushroom and feta cheese one but it was delicious......not dry and there is a lot of filling in it.  I cook mine in the oven but you can nuke them too.  They are low cholesterol, low glycemic, gluten free and high in protein....almost the perfect food.

Never gotten sick from one, although I have to take a lactose pill to help with the cheese.....very creamy. They are also very filling.....keeps you full for a long time.

I never would have thought that a frozen egg white omelet would be this good but they are!

#26 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

Thankfully I have a total notch omelet maker in house.  If I didn't, those sound pretty good.  

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#27 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thankfully I have a total notch omelet maker in house.  If I didn't, those sound pretty good.  

Colleen 

My husband makes the BEST omelets ever...he's gotten quite good at it.  However, he doesn't like egg white omelets so doesn't make those. I use these when time is limited...which is often.  I was very surprised at how good these are. They can be difficult to keep in stock at my local grocery store.....I think the gluten-free people have discovered them.  ;)

#28 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

My husband makes the BEST omelets ever...he's gotten quite good at it.  However, he doesn't like egg white omelets so doesn't make those. I use these when time is limited...which is often.  I was very surprised at how good these are. They can be difficult to keep in stock at my local grocery store.....I think the gluten-free people have discovered them.  ;)

I think they would be good for work or traveling, too. I haven't seen them but I'll look.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#29 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have not had an egg roll in a LONG time! I hope I can find those at a store near me! We went to the city today, over 2 hours round trip and found the frozen Bistro meals! We do buy some processed foods because my poor husband does most of the cooking (I am not able to do it any longer)  plus he works 11 hours a day, 6 days per week at 62 years old so he needs the break sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion Bunnie. :D

Edited to add, I checked on locations of the egg rolls and none are sold within a 100 miles of me.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#30 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

I am currently eating an Artisan Bistro gluten-free frozen " meal". This one is the Cheddar Beef Bake. I microwaved it and its pretty tasty. Not very big or cheesy but has a nice spicyness. Only 250 calories so it can't be very big. Not sure about the price as I got them on sale for about $2.89.

Organic, grass- fed no hormone beef.

http://www.theartisa...o.com/home.html

I will buy more.

Oh wow!  Finally something my daughter can eat!  Between her needing whole grains, picky eating and food intolerances there isn't much in the way of convenience foods for her.  But it looks like she can eat the tuna bake.  And tuna isn't something that she gets often because I can't eat it.  But she loves it.  And she loves peas.  And they sell it at a store near where my dad is.  So I'll look for it.  Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: frozen meals, microwave, artisan bistro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: