11 replies to this topic

#1 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

The one frozen thing that always catches my eye at the store is fish. Since I still buy filets and such I end up seeing if they have any gluten free goodies. I noticed a while ago that one of the local stores started carrying Starfish battered halibut and cod that were gluten free. Sure to be disappointed I picked up a box and read that they are also peanut free, soy free, milk free (casein), and egg free. No MSG to be found either. I finally caved and bought a box even though (as usual) they were a little pricey at $7 for a small box.

I'm glad I did. I've had breaded fish before with tortillas and crap that is cheaper but sometimes you just want a good old fashioned battered fish and this sure lived up to my expectations. It was crispy out of the oven, exactly following the directions so I won't have to deep fry for a crispy fish. And the taste and texture are good too! I was very surprised. It'll have to be a rare treat at that price, but it makes for a fairly quick meal if your day doesn't go as planned.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

What do they use for the batter? Just curious. Might be fun to try these as I'm not going to batter and fry fish.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Psh... I don't know. The only thing it seems to have in it is fish. :lol: I suppose I could go get myself a bowl of tiramisu ice cream for dessert and go check.

K, I went to check. (and get ice cream) It has corn flour, rice flour, both gums and some spices and crap. I have a REALLY short memory and am in far too much pain to walk it down the stairs and back up again. But hopefully that is enough info.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Psh... I don't know. The only thing it seems to have in it is fish. :lol: I suppose I could go get myself a bowl of tiramisu ice cream for dessert and go check.

K, I went to check. (and get ice cream) It has corn flour, rice flour, both gums and some spices and crap. I have a REALLY short memory and am in far too much pain to walk it down the stairs and back up again. But hopefully that is enough info.

Rice and corn....good enough!

Now to the important info - tiramisu ice cream?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

It is a store brand of ice cream with a billion ingredients, which I normally wouldn't eat. But it looked good and I read the label like 10 times. I know the manufacturer takes every precaution to prevent CC and so in the cart it went. It doesn't have cake pieces, which is probably the only reason it is gluten free. After reading like 2 dozen ice cream labels at the store of flavors I wanted and them all having soy I was like screw it, I'm having THIS ONE! It is the private selection brand which is Kroger or Smith's or something like that.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

I've also had the Starfish brand fish, I thought it was tasty too! I recently saw

in a store they have shrimp now, little sad I'm grain free now.....

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

lol...was thinking fish and chips before I saw this thread -- the boys will be happy to try these!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Where is the FISH from? If it is from China like most fish available here in the midwest, I won't eat it. If is is wild-caught USA fish, I probably can't GET it here.

I swear, the ONLY thing that could get me to take a trip back East is seafood.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

It is wild caught. I don't know where from, but wild from somewhere. That was all it took to sell me.

Also, I live in Utah. The only fresh fish we get that doesn't suck is from the lakes here. It is shipped all over so you may very well find it near you once you get your corn back.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I haven't seen that fish at our stores but I'll sure keep my eyes open. I have a HECK of a time finding ice cream without gluten!

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

. I have a HECK of a time finding ice cream without gluten!

That's odd.  Unless they add cookies or certain candies, most ice cream is gluten free.

santa-dance.gif

#12 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

At the grocery store in town they seem to only carry ice cream that list wheat as an ingredient. I feel certain it's the ones they choose to carry that is the problem. They have 2 I can eat (honest) one is chocolate and the other vanilla, no variety.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: