9 replies to this topic

#1 PreschoolTeacher43

PreschoolTeacher43

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using diamatious earth to help with gut healing? I can't seem to find any info directly related to it and celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

I tried DE for a short while, but didn't notice any improvement from it.  I think it's main claim to fame is as a treatment for parasite infections.  Not for general healing.  I don't know if it works for parasites or not, but it seems possible it would.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 PreschoolTeacher43

PreschoolTeacher43

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your input, I was worried it might cause problems of some sort with the damage from celiac already there.  I have no symptoms of the celiac, it was found while trying to figure out problems after a surgery, so it's hard for me to know what's working or not. 

Thanks again,

Lisa Marie

Hi,

I tried DE for a short while, but didn't notice nay improvement from it.  I think it's main claim to fame is a a treatment for parasite infections.  Not for general healing.  I don't know if it works for parasites or not, but it seems possible it would.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

We were not designed as primary consumers of DE.  I am trying to consider where it may be advantageous and must admit -- am at a loss.  Can you educate me?

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

You are welcome Lisa Marie.  I didn't notice any benefit or any harm form the DE myself.  I didn't feel worse or feel better after taking it.  It turned out for me that my symptoms were caused by various foods I was eating, and once I got those foods out of my diet my symptoms went away.  Not having any symptoms is trickier I think.  We have several members of the forum who have "silent celiac" (no  symptoms),  So it does happen.  Sometimes people start out with no symptoms and then develop symptoms after they have been gluten-free for a while too.  Celiac is a really variable disease symptom wise.  They say that celiac is sometimes triggered by a stress of some sort to the body.  Many people have the genes for it but only a small percentage actually develop the autoimmune response (celiac disease).

If you are just starting out on the gluten-free diet, it is best to stick with whole foods that you cook yourself.  Stay away from restaraunts and keep your meals simple.  We are happy to help with answering any questions you have.  We all have been there ourselves to some extent anyway.

Hi LIsa,

The Wiki below has lots of info on DE.  It doesn't go into the possible health benefits though.  I am not so sure about health benefits myself.  They do put DE in livestock feed though so I don't think it is harmful to eat.

http://en.wikipedia....tomaceous_earth

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

DE works on the exterior of furry/feathery animals as way to kill external insect pests, like fleas, because it cuts into their exo skeletons and they dehydrate.  Animals lick themselves when self- grooming, so it obviously doesn't harm them internally, but I don't think this is going to help otherwise.  You have to be careful when applying it, don't get downwind, because it will scratch your eyeglass lenses really badly if you get the dust on them and don't carefully rinse it off.  DE works well as a non toxic home flea remedy if you clean out the pet's sleeping crates with an alcohol solution, like mouthwash, let it dry, then put the freshly DE dusted pet in to "dust" the crate.  Cats are sort of notorious for hating flea treatments, while at the same time being a great flea carrier, so if you treat all the dogs living with the cat, you can still put a serious dent in you indoor flea lifecycle, especially if you then vacuum a day later.  Now, if the fleas the animals were carrying had parasites, then this is a way to kill those fleas, the host carrier of the parasite, before your pet eats them while licking itself. 

But as for symptoms of IBS/leaky gut/celiac/gluten intolerance, while I've been exposed to all sorts of secondary diatomaceous earth dust, especially from pets who think it's funny to sneak into the bedroom and jump up on the bed after getting their dust powdering, :rolleyes:  avoiding gluten and gluten cross contamination, and my few other foods I don't get along with, is what matters.  DE isn't going to change gluten protein so it doesn't cause a reaction in my gut, and I don't think I have internal parasites. :o  

#7 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi

I didn't know you could use it for humans.

We use it for our chooks (hens) to control red mite/mites, etc. Dust the chook and put in their house and scratch/rolling holes in dry summer weather so they can dust themselves with it. I think they are ok eating a bit too.

Sorry, not much help.

#8 PreschoolTeacher43

PreschoolTeacher43

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the information, It's much appreciated!  Several friends had told me about it prior to me knowing I had Celiac.  The website I found about human use is earthworkshealth.com    I was concerned about possible leaky gut and have not had any luck with my regular dr. regarding it.  Was just looking for ways to maybe help with that if yeast or parasites were a possible problem.  However, I sure didn't want to do something that would cause more of a problem!

Lisa Marie

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I heard not to play with your pet after dusting for fear that you will ingest a little.  Strange to think of eating it.

#10 indigoredster

indigoredster

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

I will probably get some of hate responses for this but:

I believe from much research that Diatomaceous earth flours used in grains storage and food processing account for an increase in celiac like illnesses.

Real world Quality control is lacking and basically you get a quantity of basically silica-flour content. It is used also as a filler in many of the

products listed to avoid. It act as an allergen and abrasive to villi. And face it: if it kills insects and worms by abrading and moisture absorption, how

can it be good for you gut unless you do have a parasitic infection. There has not been enough study to prove its long term health impact and saying it is

non-toxic only implies that you dont have adverse affects in the short term.

read: http://ntp.niehs.nih...our_oct2009.pdf

http://www.ars.usda....l98/sci0798.pdf ( even though this is a pro article it describes the toxicity mechanism on insects )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: