10 replies to this topic

#1 txgal

txgal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Need some direction here... I was diagnosed about 2 months ago. While I am feeling better, the joint pain I thought was unrelated, is now getting worse. I can barely use two fingers on my right hand. Besides Aleve, what have you found helpful in alleviating the pain? I'm 32 and thinking I am too young to have debilitating joint pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

If it's not related to celiac,  then you may have to approach your Doctor.  Keeping fingers warm helps with pain along with doing finger stretches. 

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Yes, keep the joints mobile, keep stretching and straightening to maintain flexibility, is the best thing you can do.  

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

I agree you may be "too young", but arthritis knows no age limit, I am afraid. I started with joint pain in my 30's.

If it is related to gluten and celiac, it may resolve in time. Try to be patient.

I keep moving despite the stiffness and pain because it "lubes the joints". No meds have ever really helped my chronic bone and joint pain (and I have osteoarthritis) but warmth, movement, gentle yoga and constantly gently stretching and using my body keeps me less "ouchy". Walking in a heated pool is fantastic. 

Try warming your hand and then just opening and closing your hand a few times a day.Like Colleen says,  if it gets worse, see a doc.

Hope you feel better soon!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 srall

srall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I definitely get very bad joint pain from gluten, but even when there is absolutely no dairy/corn/gluten/soy in my diet I still can get pretty stiff based on how much alcohol I've been drinking, how much rice I've been eating (that's our only grain) and even how much sugar.  If I'm eating a paleo diet with very little alcohol (for me this means wine) and drinking a ton of water, I have no joint pain.

I hope you get it straightened out.  I have battled arthritis since I was very young too and it's horrible.  It might be worth a trip to the doctor just to see if you can rule out other causes.  

#6 txgal

txgal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for your thoughts y'all!

#7 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

You can try taking fish oil to see if it helps. Apparently DHA (specifically found in oily fish like salmon or fish oil pills) is supposed to help with joint pain (among many other things). Not sure how  long you would need to take it to see if it works though.

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

My joints were huge when I was diagnosed.  I had given up wearing rings because I was afraid that I would have to cut them off (the rings, not the fingers).  It took some time gluten free for them to go down, but now I am wearing rings again.  When I get into accidental gluten they go back to being big and painful.

It might take you some more time, or more attention to your diet.

I hope that you feel better soon.

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Need some direction here... I was diagnosed about 2 months ago. While I am feeling better, the joint pain I thought was unrelated, is now getting worse. I can barely use two fingers on my right hand. Besides Aleve, what have you found helpful in alleviating the pain? I'm 32 and thinking I am too young to have debilitating joint pain.

Have you had your thyroid checked?  I have Hashi's and if my thyroid gets too low, I get joint pain in my fingers.  It goes away completely and stays away when my thyoid is in the correct ranges.....which are different for everyone.  That could be another reason because yes, 32 is too young for joint pain.  That is a symptom of thyroid disease.

#10 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

I'm going to start a new thread on this but have you had your immunoglobulins checked ? I am partway through getting diagnosed with IgG deficiency - possibly something called CVID (common variable immune disorder)....other Ig possibly low as well (just did more bloodwork). What it means is bascially low immumity and I have lots of joint pain.

It may not be this at all but discuss it with your doc....I am 2 years into trying to determine why I hurt, might save you some time.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Northern Elf, that would be an informative thread indeed! Please do. I'm interested in reading your thoughts/research. Thanks! IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: