Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ibs And Hysterectomy

25 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have severe IBS?? I'm on 3 different IBS meds now and I'm even having a complete hysterectomy.

Ads by Google:

Talk to us, Amanda.  Tell us a little more about yourself and your symptoms.  We are here to listen. :)

Welcome Amanda!

I had a hysterectomy -- not total -- 12 years ago due to cancer - wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until 4 years ago after decades of numerous symptoms.

IBS is a collection of symptoms that are often the same as those with missed or un-diagnosed Celiac Disease.

Let us know if we can help :)

Another "IBS" and hyster-sister right here. Total hysterectomy after years of miscarriages and the early menopause from hell. 

Those symptoms you're having may all be celiac-related.  Tell us more!  (that "IBS" I had for most of my life--all gone)

Yep, IBS all my life and hysterectomy at age 49 following an unpleasant period where I was in peri menopause, my then indiagnosed celiac was shifting into high gear, and I had fibroids, endometriosis and addenomyosis.

Let us know how we can help-- there is light at the end of this tunnel:)

.......and that light is not an oncoming train, we promise! :)

Me, too, P--I was 47 and those fibroids, endo, cysts, etc can wreak havoc with the intestines. Adhesions can make a mess, too.My entire pelvic floor was deeply impacted and I had to have "special PT" to make things right. Not fun. 

.......and that light is not an oncoming train, we promise! :)

Me, too, P--I was 47 and those fibroids, endo, cysts, etc can wreak havoc with the intestines. Adhesions can make a mess, too.My entire pelvic floor was deeply impacted and I had to have "special PT" to make things right. Not fun. 

Not at all <_< I had a similar mess going on in there--the surgeon had to deviate from the planned procedure because the endo had attached itself outside the reproductive area.  Looking back, I wish I had had it done 10 years prior. (the famous hindsight B) )

Does anyone else have severe IBS?? I'm on 3 different IBS meds now and I'm even having a complete hysterectomy.

what is the reason for the hyst?  what out comes are being hoped for?  If you haven't tried gluten free, I would give it a go first.

I'm 31 and I've been gluten free for almost a year, not only with my food but w/ every products. I've always have had a history w/ my periods I.E. small clots cysts bad cramps. But since the IBS dx the clots are now the size of cutie oranges, severe watery D, and vomiting. I lost 5lbs in 3 days and was extremely weak. With an active 5 year old I can't afford to go down like that.

And I'm having surgery 3-13-13 so if I don't respond in a timely manor you know why. Lol

And I'm having surgery 3-13-13 so if I don't respond in a timely manor you know why. Lol

Best of luck! I hope it all goes smoothly. Let us know how you're doing when you are able:)

Best of luck Amanda!

If you haven't been there yet HysterSisters is a great website :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Yes-- HysterSisters! That was very helpful to me, thanks Lisa:)

My gyno office called this evening to say that BCBS decided to deny my surgery at the last minute :(. If I was a betting gal I would say the person whom denied it has male plumbing! Now they have my doc and I jumping through hoops and dang it my muscles hurt to much to keep jumping not to mention girls w/ big boobs aren't ment to jump!!!

Ok...I feel a lil better now after venting.

:(

Goodness:(. I hope your doctor will be able to get them to cover it.

Only time will tell :). I'm just trying to stay positive in the mean it and jump thru their stinkin hoops. Thanks for all help!!'

I'm 31 and I've been gluten free for almost a year, not only with my food but w/ every products. I've always have had a history w/ my periods I.E. small clots cysts bad cramps. But since the IBS dx the clots are now the size of cutie oranges, severe watery D, and vomiting. I lost 5lbs in 3 days and was extremely weak. With an active 5 year old I can't afford to go down like that.

What about an ablation?  have you tried anything to suppress ovulation for an extended period of time? have had a D/C?    It makes me very nervous when a doc is going for the hyst in a person so young. 

Good luck!  Try not to worry.  I have both IBS and had hysto when I was in my early 40's, it's not as bad as you think.  Let us know how you get on.

We have been suppressing ovulation w/ meds but my body isn't handling it very well. It's like it can sense the need to go into a cycle and can't and my bowel become inflame still killing my lower back. But she did an ultrasound and found evidence of a " spongey " uterus so now I go in for out patient procedure thru the belly button ( which the insurance wanted any way) this up coming week.

Thanks for the update. All the best to you:)

Oh Goodness...Hang in there Amanda!

Keep us updated...pulling for and praying for you that the upcoming procedure goes well. :)

Thanks every1. I was never worried about having the hysto I was kind of looking forward to it lol, I was just wondering if it helped w/ the IBS or was hoping for to much. I know it's not a cure but I would be grateful for a 1% improvement....

Amanda, many times it can help with IBS symptoms, especially in the case of endometriosis.

I had my surgery after I had been gluten-free for 2 years. My bowel symptoms improved a lot in those 2 years, especially after I identified some additional food intolerances and cut those from my diet.

I can say that the monthly pain and diarreah that always accompanied my period went away, never to return.

I hope you sail through your surgery, recovery, and feel much, much better. I am betting you will:)