19 replies to this topic

#1 Canefan

Canefan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hi all! I'm new to the board. I've been living with Celiac for 6 years now, and follow the diet to a 't.' While I've become pretty comfortable with food (always open to new suggestions), I struggle to find alcohol. I primarily drink Hard Cider (Crispin, Magners, Angry Orchard, etc.) and Malibu rum. The problem is the high sugar content. I will have maybe 2 drinks and want to vomit from all the sugar (not the alcohol), or wake up with the worst hangover. Can anyone provide some good alcohol choices (by brand) that are Celiac friendly, and don't have an insane amount of sugar? I'm very sensitive, so I don't believe the triple distilled wheat based alcohols that people can be safe. 

All help is appreciated, thanks! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Most distilled liquors have no sugar content as the fermentation process converts the sugar to alcohol, and then the distilling process removes any that remains. Double or triple distillation increases the certainty.

Some liquors have flavorings added after distillation that may add sugar back to the product. This is particularly true of liqueurs--these are sweet drinks that contain distilled alcohol as a major ingredient.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Go for vodka. Tito's, Vikingfjord, and Chopin are all non-gluten-grain based, if

you prefer to avoid that.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 Canefan

Canefan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks JN, any other non-vodka choices? 

#5 strongwilledwoman

strongwilledwoman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I too would be interested in any specific brand Vodka's.  That is what I would prefer, but I would also need to know what I can mix it with?????

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I too would be interested in any specific brand Vodka's. That is what I would prefer, but I would also need to know what I can mix it with?????

Bunny listed some. What would you normally mix with vodka? Fruit juices? Lime juice and fizzy water?

What about rum? Isn't that made with sugar cane? tequila? I suppose you could email different companies.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 Canefan

Canefan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Bunny listed some. What would you normally mix with vodka? Fruit juices? Lime juice and fizzy water?

What about rum? Isn't that made with sugar cane? tequila? I suppose you could email different companies.

Malibu Rum is gluten-free, but I'm trying to avoid sugar, because there is too much in cider and rum. 

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

What about wine?  They vary in sweetness, but perhaps you could fine a crisp one you like? 

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I personally drink vodka with water (I'm Polish :D ).

Also, Woodchuck cider does tend to be sweet, but the Granny Smith flavor has half

the sugar the other ones do. I also enjoy Green's beer, it's my favorite of the gluten

free beers. I find also that mead, wine made from honey, doesn't give me headaches

the way regular wine does (probably a sulfite thing).

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#10 Shelley11

Shelley11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hi all! I'm new to the board. I've been living with Celiac for 6 years now, and follow the diet to a 't.' While I've become pretty comfortable with food (always open to new suggestions), I struggle to find alcohol. I primarily drink Hard Cider (Crispin, Magners, Angry Orchard, etc.) and Malibu rum. The problem is the high sugar content. I will have maybe 2 drinks and want to vomit from all the sugar (not the alcohol), or wake up with the worst hangover. Can anyone provide some good alcohol choices (by brand) that are Celiac friendly, and don't have an insane amount of sugar? I'm very sensitive, so I don't believe the triple distilled wheat based alcohols that people can be safe. 

All help is appreciated, thanks! 

There are plenty of Gluten Free vodkas - you can find some here http://celiacdisease...-Vodka-List.htm

I just mix it with sparkling water and a lime..  Lovely refreshing coctail!

Shelley

#11 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

I too would be interested in any specific brand Vodka's.  That is what I would prefer, but I would also need to know what I can mix it with?????

I buy blueberry Smirnoff vodka and mix a shot with lemonade and crushed ice.  Makes a great drink for summer!   :D  

#12 lucien

lucien

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

Estrella Damm/ Daura is real larger beer won many world championship. Made in Barcelona. Then your back to being normal. Www.estrelladamm.com

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Estrella Damm/ Daura is real larger beer won many world championship. Made in Barcelona. Then your back to being normal. Www.estrelladamm.com

If you search this forum (Gluten-Free Foods, Products, Shopping & Medications) for "Estrella" you will find numerous other topics which discuss this low-gluten beer. It is not truly gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Strongwilled woman...I will only use a potato vodka.as that is the only one I can feel safe about. The brand I have here is Vesica and on the bottle it says triple distilled potato vodka. It is from Poland and I found the price to be very reasonable. I know some potato vodkas can be quite expensive. When I first bought it at a liquor store I asked for potato vodkas and what was available there.

I actually bought this vodka so I could make my own vanilla extract. I only thing I really drink is a bit of wine with dinner sometimes. But I would expect you could mix it with some orange juice to make a screwdriver drink. When I ever get better I am going to celebrate by having a drink though. I thought I would put some R.W. Knudsen Black Cherry concentrate in some seltzer water and add a bit of the potato vodka to it. I also think it would be good with some lime concentrate and seltzer water for a refreshing summer drink.

#15 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like Chopin Potato Vodka in Kern's Apricot Nectar. Ohhhhhhh yummy, yummy in my tummy! :lol:

You can add sparkling water if you like for some fizz.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: