This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Alcohol

Canefan

Canefan Newbie

Hi all! I'm new to the board. I've been living with Celiac for 6 years now, and follow the diet to a 't.' While I've become pretty comfortable with food (always open to new suggestions), I struggle to find alcohol. I primarily drink Hard Cider (Crispin, Magners, Angry Orchard, etc.) and Malibu rum. The problem is the high sugar content. I will have maybe 2 drinks and want to vomit from all the sugar (not the alcohol), or wake up with the worst hangover. Can anyone provide some good alcohol choices (by brand) that are Celiac friendly, and don't have an insane amount of sugar? I'm very sensitive, so I don't believe the triple distilled wheat based alcohols that people can be safe. 

All help is appreciated, thanks! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Most distilled liquors have no sugar content as the fermentation process converts the sugar to alcohol, and then the distilling process removes any that remains. Double or triple distillation increases the certainty.

Some liquors have flavorings added after distillation that may add sugar back to the product. This is particularly true of liqueurs--these are sweet drinks that contain distilled alcohol as a major ingredient.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Go for vodka. Tito's, Vikingfjord, and Chopin are all non-gluten-grain based, if

you prefer to avoid that.

Canefan Newbie

Thanks JN, any other non-vodka choices? 

strongwilledwoman Newbie

I too would be interested in any specific brand Vodka's.  That is what I would prefer, but I would also need to know what I can mix it with?????

kareng Grand Master

I too would be interested in any specific brand Vodka's. That is what I would prefer, but I would also need to know what I can mix it with?????

Bunny listed some. What would you normally mix with vodka? Fruit juices? Lime juice and fizzy water?

What about rum? Isn't that made with sugar cane? tequila? I suppose you could email different companies.

Canefan Newbie

Bunny listed some. What would you normally mix with vodka? Fruit juices? Lime juice and fizzy water?

What about rum? Isn't that made with sugar cane? tequila? I suppose you could email different companies.

Malibu Rum is gluten-free, but I'm trying to avoid sugar, because there is too much in cider and rum. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

What about wine?  They vary in sweetness, but perhaps you could fine a crisp one you like? 

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I personally drink vodka with water (I'm Polish :D ).

Also, Woodchuck cider does tend to be sweet, but the Granny Smith flavor has half

the sugar the other ones do. I also enjoy Green's beer, it's my favorite of the gluten

free beers. I find also that mead, wine made from honey, doesn't give me headaches

the way regular wine does (probably a sulfite thing).

Shelley11 Newbie

Hi all! I'm new to the board. I've been living with Celiac for 6 years now, and follow the diet to a 't.' While I've become pretty comfortable with food (always open to new suggestions), I struggle to find alcohol. I primarily drink Hard Cider (Crispin, Magners, Angry Orchard, etc.) and Malibu rum. The problem is the high sugar content. I will have maybe 2 drinks and want to vomit from all the sugar (not the alcohol), or wake up with the worst hangover. Can anyone provide some good alcohol choices (by brand) that are Celiac friendly, and don't have an insane amount of sugar? I'm very sensitive, so I don't believe the triple distilled wheat based alcohols that people can be safe. 

There are plenty of Gluten Free vodkas - you can find some here Open Original Shared Link

I just mix it with sparkling water and a lime..  Lovely refreshing coctail!

Shelley

twe0708 Community Regular

I too would be interested in any specific brand Vodka's.  That is what I would prefer, but I would also need to know what I can mix it with?????

I buy blueberry Smirnoff vodka and mix a shot with lemonade and crushed ice.  Makes a great drink for summer!   :D  

lucien Newbie

Estrella Damm/ Daura is real larger beer won many world championship. Made in Barcelona. Then your back to being normal. Www.estrelladamm.com

psawyer Proficient

Estrella Damm/ Daura is real larger beer won many world championship. Made in Barcelona. Then your back to being normal. Www.estrelladamm.com

If you search this forum (Gluten-Free Foods, Products, Shopping & Medications) for "Estrella" you will find numerous other topics which discuss this low-gluten beer. It is not truly gluten-free.
SensitiveMe Rookie

Strongwilled woman...I will only use a potato vodka.as that is the only one I can feel safe about. The brand I have here is Vesica and on the bottle it says triple distilled potato vodka. It is from Poland and I found the price to be very reasonable. I know some potato vodkas can be quite expensive. When I first bought it at a liquor store I asked for potato vodkas and what was available there.

I actually bought this vodka so I could make my own vanilla extract. I only thing I really drink is a bit of wine with dinner sometimes. But I would expect you could mix it with some orange juice to make a screwdriver drink. When I ever get better I am going to celebrate by having a drink though. I thought I would put some R.W. Knudsen Black Cherry concentrate in some seltzer water and add a bit of the potato vodka to it. I also think it would be good with some lime concentrate and seltzer water for a refreshing summer drink.

• 1 month later...
squirmingitch Veteran

I like Chopin Potato Vodka in Kern's Apricot Nectar. Ohhhhhhh yummy, yummy in my tummy! :lol:

You can add sparkling water if you like for some fizz.

psawyer Proficient

Smirnoff vodka is widely available, reasonably priced, and made exclusively from corn. Corn is gluten-free. Smirnoff is gluten-free.

It is generally accepted that any distilled liquor, even whisky, is gluten-free. I singled out whisky since it is made from grain mash, which often includes gluten grains. Bourbon whisky is often just corn. But I have not seen a warning from a credible source about gluten in whisky this century. I think the last one I saw was from about 1997, before current testing was able to show that there was no detectable gluten in the distillate.

Bottoms up!

IrishHeart Veteran

If there were gluten in any distilled liquor, trust me, I'd be dead by now. :D Cheers!.

"Distilled alcoholic beverages are gluten free because distillation effectively removes gluten from wheat. "

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21886/1/Distilled-Spirits-Grain-Alcohols-and-Vinegar-Are-they-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

GlutenFreeRupert Newbie

Chopin is my favorite gluten free vodka. Tito's and Krome are also very good gluten free vodkas.

• 2 weeks later...
CLH6288 Newbie

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find Tito's Gluten Free Vodka, it's certified and delicious, not too expensive either.

mbrookes Community Regular

I guess I am not what is referred to as a "super sensitive" as I do not react to a lot of things I see mentioned here. That said, I have had no trouble with any distilled liquor except sour mash bourbon. I mix with whatever suits my mood (bourbon or vodka with Crystal light lemonade, bourbon or rum with Sprite or Coke, etc.) Bloody Marys are good if they are not made with a gluten-containing mix (beware of those containing soy sauce). I am not a heavy drinker, but I do love a cocktail.

Archived