Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Crises, Or Invitation To Anniversary Celebration?

restaurant invitation

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I did go to the anniversary party. It was at Applebys.  When Dad asked, (I was so glad he did) I requested we not go to a pizza restaurant.  Later I wished I would have said one that doesn't have a bakery.  It turned out that Applebys did not smell highly of food or baked goods. 

I heated my food on Dad and Mom's front porch.  I wondered as I dashed out to get it, before leaving to go to the restaurant, just why I felt like a thief.  I had my food in foil and threw them into an insulated lunch bag lined with a towel.  I quickly put my electric skillet into my car.  Then others came out. 

I  brought my own plate, fork, and knife.  I ordered bottle water, but they didn't have it.  I couldn't bring myself to trust their glass, so I went without.  I sat as far as I could away from those I thought might be offended and smiled at them over the long table.  We had a bunch of people, so the table was a little crowded.  I shielded my plate with foil on the one side of me, while on the other side, I had a little more space.  It seemed unlikely any crumbs would have gotten on to my plate.

A little steak sauce spilled on my hand.  I wiped with a napkin.  Meanwhile, My hubby dipped a clean napkin in his water and we dabbed it off.  I sat by all the little ones, so (giggle, giggle) none of them really noticed what I was doing when I pulled out plate, silverware, and food.  Toward the end of the meal my face blushed.  We have noticed recently that if I eat the wrong thing  this happens.  Shortly after we left.  I continued to have a red face for a while.  As soon as I could I gulped in some fresh air. I felt better.  I also had extra mucus in my throat and my head ached very mildly.  My eyes had puffiness under them the next day.

Dad had offered to pick up the tab.  I was touched to tears that he asked me what restaurant.  Dad has never been the one to plan the functions until now.  I can't eat at any restaurant.  Now, I have it confirmed that even going in them isn't the best.  I will wait until the next time it must be done.

My children live with me.  I cook for them all the time.  It really was only one that said nobody would want to eat my food.  She is probably just a celiac in denial!

Diana

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Being around others eating gluten can be tough on super sensitives.  I know that my son got quite sick one time at school.  They had extra sandwiches and were handing them out in the lunchroom.  They handed some out over his head and probably got some on him somehow.  We had worked out a protocol that worked for him in the lunch room under most circumstances, but it was hard to predict this situation in advance.  He didn't go back.

Yesterday I gave a concert at a Farmer's Market.  There was a strong smell of baked bread, but I don't think that was it.  My fellow musicians ate bread sticks and cookies and people were waving gluteny things around and passing them over my instruments.  I don't think that it is very hard to accidentally ingest a minuscule amount under these circumstances.  Fortunately I don't seem to have been hit too hard.

I hope you feel well soon, Diana.

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Thanks, Thankfully, my reaction was mild.  The mind could go crazy thinking of all the little possibilities of contamination in such a situation.  Next time? Hmm what will I do.

Being around others eating gluten can be tough on super sensitives.  I know that my son got quite sick one time at school.  They had extra sandwiches and were handing them out in the lunchroom.  They handed some out over his head and probably got some on him somehow.  We had worked out a protocol that worked for him in the lunch room under most circumstances, but it was hard to predict this situation in advance.  He didn't go back.

Yesterday I gave a concert at a Farmer's Market.  There was a strong smell of baked bread, but I don't think that was it.  My fellow musicians ate bread sticks and cookies and people were waving gluteny things around and passing them over my instruments.  I don't think that it is very hard to accidentally ingest a minuscule amount under these circumstances.  Fortunately I don't seem to have been hit too hard.

I hope you feel well soon, Diana.

#19 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Diana, I am so glad you went and were able to share in the celebration. I am also glad it was mild. I was thinking about you and wondering how this played out, hope you keep feeling better.

#20 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Diana
I am pleased that you went to the celebration. I had my fingers crossed that you would make it :)

I truly think that you have taken a big step here, and will start to find it easier to join in on occassions in the future, now you have done this successfully.

I hope you recover quickly

Hugs
Mw
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

That's great that you made it to the dinner Diana.  And it wasn't as bad as you thought it might be either?  Picking a place that doesn't do baking or make pasta from scratch should go a long way toward avoiding cc.  Many restraunts have their bread delivered, including buns.  So they don't bake them from scratch.  They sometimes just warm them up.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

{{{{ hugs! }}}  :)

#23 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Oh, thanks.  Tough times this week.

I described what happened to a doctor and he said that I should absolutely avoid restaurants.  I mentioned that I had been, but this was a family important reunion.  Then he said, okay, you could go, BUT eat at home.  You are always supposed to eat at home.  That is at least until we can figure out what these reactions are.  I am taking it that I could eat in my car as long as it gets cleaned up and the family doesn't eat gluten there.  I better wash the steering wheel if I take my husbands car.

I just wanted to reiterate that I brought my own food and all utensils.  I even used my fork to handle the muffin I brought rather than touching it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: