This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Dropped My Guard... Bad Idea. Lol

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

I think I got too comfortable with eating gluten-free and thought I had it down pat... Oops. I have been feeling like something is glutening me since January and I haven't been able to figure it out. I double checked all of my supplements and vitamins thinking it might have been there. I dropped all Dream milks (was using coconut for cooking).... That wasn't it.

Then I thought it might be something else. I dropped coffee for a bit but thankfully that wasn't it. I cut out nuts for a few days even. Nope.

Then I started to find some sources of food that could be bothering me but it wasn't the whole story: I discovered that Lindt truffles are made on a line with barley and are not considered gluten-free; I was having about 1 a week during February.  Oops.

Then, I did discover that Hemp hearts seem to bother me... no idea why but I get that cold sweat and gluten pain after eating them. They are gone.

Finally I think I found the source of my inflammation, migraines, stomach aches, and feeling of poor health these last couple of months, I re-read some labels on some spicier french fries that i had been buying occassionally... I thought I had read the label in the past, and no I (dumbly) don't read the label every time I buy food i have bought in the past... but I will from now on.  Sigh.  There it was in the ingredients "wheat starch". Duh! It even had it written at the bottom of the ingredient list in bolded letters "contains wheat".  I make fries for the kids every week so every week, I have been gluteening myself as I pick the fries off their plates when I do dishes.  Sheesh. :rolleyes: How careless of me.

Hopefully, that is all that I have been doing wrong and I'll feel better again in a week.  I have felt so off for a few months now and I didn't know what I was doing wrong.  I think I am one of the few who do not react worse to gluten now that they are gluten-free, so it took me a while to understand what I've done wrong. I think I'm on the right track again.

I guess it pays to read the label every single time, eh?  LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Well, maybe not EVERY time or you would wear our your eyeballs, but more often than every three months!!! :D

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I read the label when I buy anything with a label. I mean like, half n half. Cheese.

If it's got a label, I read it. That may seem neurotic, but it only takes me a second.

I also don't buy very much with labels on it! ;)  I was bothered by sour cream

that turned out to have corn starch in it (corn starch? really? :angry: ) some years ago

and have been hyper-vigilant since. I think of it as like using condoms- it only works

if you do it EVERY TIME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nvsmom Community Regular

I think of it as like using condoms- it only works

if you do it EVERY TIME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P:D:lol:  LOL ... Better than every 3 months too, eh Mushroom?

mushroom Proficient

:P:D:lol:  LOL ... Better than every 3 months too, eh Mushroom?

Now that's something else!!! -_-

Adalaide Mentor

I'm neurotic about labels. I still read the label on my Classico pasta sauce when I buy it. I know we all know that it is perfectly safe, but what if it stops being safe. I mean, how would I know. And yes, I'm the same way with everything with a label. Cheese? Check. Sour cream? Double check. (Have you ever seen the amount of crap in some brands? Holy crap!) I'm 100% with Miss Buns on this one. Label reading is only effective if you do it every time.

Takala Enthusiast

The parent company of Classico sauces, Heinz, was just sold to Warren Buffet.  The first public statement right outta Buffet's mouth after he buys it, is that food manufacturers are spending way too much, and that they have to cut costs to be competitive.  Don't be surprised if he ends up other selling parts of the Heinz line of foods they make, again.  We all know that Heinz has been one of the better companies for gluten free labeling -  but you'd better be watching them very carefully, now, because we all know how businesses "cut costs."   :angry:  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

The parent company of Classico sauces, Heinz, was just sold to Warren Buffet.  The first public statement right outta Buffet's mouth after he buys it, is that food manufacturers are spending way too much, and that they have to cut costs to be competitive.  Don't be surprised if he ends up other selling parts of the Heinz line of foods they make, again.  We all know that Heinz has been one of the better companies for gluten free labeling -  but you'd better be watching them very carefully, now, because we all know how businesses "cut costs."   :angry:  

This has just lead to a significant outbreak of my language problem. But this is exactly why we need to read every label, every time, no matter what. I missed this in the news somehow, but wouldn't have missed a label change since I always read the label. They better not mess with my ketchup. That is the only brand that doesn't taste like complete crap and I am far too lazy to make my own.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ever since my mom (also celiac) accidentally bought non-gluten-free bread which we happily ate daily for over a week until I finally read the label... I don't take chances (now especially when I'm at my parents' house!)

Now that I also can't do soy, I'm uber paranoid and read everything 3 times over... except when I don't, like the ingredients on a box of tea (soy in tea!!??). We all make slip ups. And it turns out to be the last thing we expect.

And I can't eat classico anymore because of the soy, but it was my favourite. Fing Warren Buffett!

Hope you feel better soon Nicole

GottaSki Mentor

Just saw this Nicole....bummer -- must say I went thru a few similar "doh!" moments during my first year....after we learn the ropes it is easy to get a bit more lax -- unfortunately it about the same time we are becoming much more sensitive -- double whammy!

And ya, I read all labels nearly every time -- our processed food purchases have dropped drastically over the past four years, but I still buy several items for the men -- but $#!7 still happens -- son got got with frozen french fries recently -- now he is double checking my shopping -- good training for when he is out on his own :)

Don't be hard on yourself -- it will happen again...hopefully not for a nice long while!

bartfull Rising Star

I not only read the label every time, but if I'm buying more than one, I read the label on them both. You never know when you're getting one from the old batch that was safe and one from the new batch with different ingredients.

Don't laugh! It has happened to me! I bought two pints of ice cream once, and even though they were identical in both brand and flavor, one had guar gum and one didn't. They now always have guar gum. They changed their recipe. Guar gum isn't a problem for me, but that experience taught me to read every label on every item that goes into my basket - even if it IS a duplicate item.

Paranoid? Maybe...but am I paranoid ENOUGH? :lol:

mushroom Proficient

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't somebody following you :ph34r:

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL :ph34r: Cheers to us paranoid super sleuths.   :ph34r:

I will be more careful in the future... It's just sort of funny because I had become a bit smug thinking " this gluten-free thing isn't so hard". I almost deserved that little smack down back to reality. lol

I think it was the fries that were getting me. I haven't had them for a good week and the stomach aches are gone and the headaches are going. I've had a bit of carb cravings but no biggie, I'm just tired and a bit slow... That explains where my brain has been lately. Over the last few days I have forgotten a major part of a meal I was to bring to relatives, left my house and car keys in my winter jacket in another city, and today I almost forget (okay I did forget but my 8 year old remembered) to get my kids to swimming lessons, and then when we got home I left my van door wide open... good thing it hadn't started snowing again yet!  LOL :huh:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

I used to think that I had escaped the neurologial symptoms this disease can cause... I think I was deluding myself.  LOL ;)

CaliSparrow Collaborator

If it makes you feel better, I've noticed a strange comfort zone that sets in about a month after being glutened. I now consider it a time of extreme vulnerability.

Those pesky neurological symptoms. Sometimes, I just wake up out of it and continue losing things/forgetting things until the more obvious symptoms rear their heads.

Last weekend I went famished to Whole Foods. I'd gotten comfortable eating safely from the salad bar, but the hot Indian food was irresistible. Even though I read the labels, there was gluten somewhere & I went back in a fog the next day and possibly consumed more! I'm still paying for it.

Now I'm going back to the "eating home food only" until I reach the one year mark (but will keep salad bar on safe list).

I can't wait until October. Everyone seems to be much, much better at this after the one year mark. I've been rushing myself thinking I can cut corners without paying the price of these hard learning lessons. Nope. I get to learn them just like everyone before me did.

gatita Enthusiast

I guess a few us have climbed into the same little rowboat here!

I've been feeling sick for a week and just noticed Trader Joe's corn tortillas are made in a facility that processes wheat. Doh. I've been careful to stick with tortilla brands I know are made in corn-only factories, but then the housemate bought these and.... well, you know...

Note to self (version 7.0):   READ... EVERY.... LABEL...

myquest7846 Newbie

I know what you mean, I got careless and instead of picking up the Udis gluten free bread I grabbed a loaf of Rudis (not gluten-free) bread.  I ate about half the loaf when I realized what I had done,  I was out of town at the time and it took just a little while for the drowsy, stumbling symptoms.  Then a migraine that started the morning I was supposed to take a 4 hour flight, although I take Imitrex, it takes a while to kick in, and one of the things I cannot do with my headaches is sit or lay down, not possible on a plane.  Poor fellow I was wedged in with on the plane, I probably looked like I was gonna die - I felt like it!

Why can't stores make up gluten free sections instead of mixing organic and gluten free together.  And lord only knows why Rudis and Udis have to look so much alike.

nvsmom Community Regular

Everyone seems to be much, much better at this after the one year mark. I've been rushing myself thinking I can cut corners without paying the price of these hard learning lessons. Nope. I get to learn them just like everyone before me did.

LOL School of Hard Knocks.  ;)

Note to self (version 7.0):   READ... EVERY.... LABEL...

LOL :D  :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Love that... I must be version 16.0 about now - I actually say "doh" at a certain pitch - I am told by those arond me - they can tell from twenty yards or from another level of the house when I discover the error. Shit happens.

Coryad Rookie

I'm comforted to know even the more "seasoned" celiacs can slip sometime :D  I've been at this almost a year and I still goof up....  most times its because I'm checking the label as I stick the food in my mouth LOL

nvsmom Community Regular

I've been so close to doing that soooo many times!  It's usually with a candy or chocolate from someone's candy bowl... I miss random candy eating. LOL

CaliSparrow Collaborator

I almost sprayed breath spray in my mouth last week and was amazed that I stopped myself.

mushroom Proficient

Living out of toiletries bag this past week ~~ almost brushed my teeth with hydrocortisone cream :blink: which actually works much better on psoriasis!

nvsmom Community Regular

I hope you are feeling fine soon, Neroli. ((Hugs))

mushroom Proficient

I hope you are feeling fine soon, Neroli. ((Hugs))

Thanks.  I'm planning on it :)

Archived