• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#1 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think I got too comfortable with eating gluten-free and thought I had it down pat... Oops. I have been feeling like something is glutening me since January and I haven't been able to figure it out. I double checked all of my supplements and vitamins thinking it might have been there. I dropped all Dream milks (was using coconut for cooking).... That wasn't it.

Then I thought it might be something else. I dropped coffee for a bit but thankfully that wasn't it. I cut out nuts for a few days even. Nope.

Then I started to find some sources of food that could be bothering me but it wasn't the whole story: I discovered that Lindt truffles are made on a line with barley and are not considered gluten-free; I was having about 1 a week during February.  Oops.

Then, I did discover that Hemp hearts seem to bother me... no idea why but I get that cold sweat and gluten pain after eating them. They are gone.

Finally I think I found the source of my inflammation, migraines, stomach aches, and feeling of poor health these last couple of months, I re-read some labels on some spicier french fries that i had been buying occassionally... I thought I had read the label in the past, and no I (dumbly) don't read the label every time I buy food i have bought in the past... but I will from now on.  Sigh.  There it was in the ingredients "wheat starch". Duh! It even had it written at the bottom of the ingredient list in bolded letters "contains wheat".  I make fries for the kids every week so every week, I have been gluteening myself as I pick the fries off their plates when I do dishes.  Sheesh. :rolleyes: How careless of me.

Hopefully, that is all that I have been doing wrong and I'll feel better again in a week.  I have felt so off for a few months now and I didn't know what I was doing wrong.  I think I am one of the few who do not react worse to gluten now that they are gluten-free, so it took me a while to understand what I've done wrong. I think I'm on the right track again.

I guess it pays to read the label every single time, eh?  LOL

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well, maybe not EVERY time or you would wear our your eyeballs, but more often than every three months!!! :D

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I read the label when I buy anything with a label. I mean like, half n half. Cheese.

If it's got a label, I read it. That may seem neurotic, but it only takes me a second.

I also don't buy very much with labels on it! ;)  I was bothered by sour cream

that turned out to have corn starch in it (corn starch? really? :angry: ) some years ago

and have been hyper-vigilant since. I think of it as like using condoms- it only works

if you do it EVERY TIME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think of it as like using condoms- it only works

if you do it EVERY TIME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P :D :lol:  LOL ... Better than every 3 months too, eh Mushroom?

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

:P :D :lol:  LOL ... Better than every 3 months too, eh Mushroom?

Now that's something else!!! -_-

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm neurotic about labels. I still read the label on my Classico pasta sauce when I buy it. I know we all know that it is perfectly safe, but what if it stops being safe. I mean, how would I know. And yes, I'm the same way with everything with a label. Cheese? Check. Sour cream? Double check. (Have you ever seen the amount of crap in some brands? Holy crap!) I'm 100% with Miss Buns on this one. Label reading is only effective if you do it every time.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

The parent company of Classico sauces, Heinz, was just sold to Warren Buffet.  The first public statement right outta Buffet's mouth after he buys it, is that food manufacturers are spending way too much, and that they have to cut costs to be competitive.  Don't be surprised if he ends up other selling parts of the Heinz line of foods they make, again.  We all know that Heinz has been one of the better companies for gluten free labeling -  but you'd better be watching them very carefully, now, because we all know how businesses "cut costs."   :angry:  

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

The parent company of Classico sauces, Heinz, was just sold to Warren Buffet.  The first public statement right outta Buffet's mouth after he buys it, is that food manufacturers are spending way too much, and that they have to cut costs to be competitive.  Don't be surprised if he ends up other selling parts of the Heinz line of foods they make, again.  We all know that Heinz has been one of the better companies for gluten free labeling -  but you'd better be watching them very carefully, now, because we all know how businesses "cut costs."   :angry:  

This has just lead to a significant outbreak of my language problem. But this is exactly why we need to read every label, every time, no matter what. I missed this in the news somehow, but wouldn't have missed a label change since I always read the label. They better not mess with my ketchup. That is the only brand that doesn't taste like complete crap and I am far too lazy to make my own.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Ever since my mom (also celiac) accidentally bought non-gluten-free bread which we happily ate daily for over a week until I finally read the label... I don't take chances (now especially when I'm at my parents' house!)

Now that I also can't do soy, I'm uber paranoid and read everything 3 times over... except when I don't, like the ingredients on a box of tea (soy in tea!!??). We all make slip ups. And it turns out to be the last thing we expect.

And I can't eat classico anymore because of the soy, but it was my favourite. Fing Warren Buffett!

Hope you feel better soon Nicole

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Just saw this Nicole....bummer -- must say I went thru a few similar "doh!" moments during my first year....after we learn the ropes it is easy to get a bit more lax -- unfortunately it about the same time we are becoming much more sensitive -- double whammy!

And ya, I read all labels nearly every time -- our processed food purchases have dropped drastically over the past four years, but I still buy several items for the men -- but $#!7 still happens -- son got got with frozen french fries recently -- now he is double checking my shopping -- good training for when he is out on his own :)

Don't be hard on yourself -- it will happen again...hopefully not for a nice long while!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I not only read the label every time, but if I'm buying more than one, I read the label on them both. You never know when you're getting one from the old batch that was safe and one from the new batch with different ingredients.

Don't laugh! It has happened to me! I bought two pints of ice cream once, and even though they were identical in both brand and flavor, one had guar gum and one didn't. They now always have guar gum. They changed their recipe. Guar gum isn't a problem for me, but that experience taught me to read every label on every item that goes into my basket - even if it IS a duplicate item.

Paranoid? Maybe...but am I paranoid ENOUGH? :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't somebody following you :ph34r:

Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#13 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

LOL :ph34r: Cheers to us paranoid super sleuths.   :ph34r:

I will be more careful in the future... It's just sort of funny because I had become a bit smug thinking " this gluten-free thing isn't so hard". I almost deserved that little smack down back to reality. lol

I think it was the fries that were getting me. I haven't had them for a good week and the stomach aches are gone and the headaches are going. I've had a bit of carb cravings but no biggie, I'm just tired and a bit slow... That explains where my brain has been lately. Over the last few days I have forgotten a major part of a meal I was to bring to relatives, left my house and car keys in my winter jacket in another city, and today I almost forget (okay I did forget but my 8 year old remembered) to get my kids to swimming lessons, and then when we got home I left my van door wide open... good thing it hadn't started snowing again yet!  LOL :huh:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

I used to think that I had escaped the neurologial symptoms this disease can cause... I think I was deluding myself.  LOL ;)

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#14 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

If it makes you feel better, I've noticed a strange comfort zone that sets in about a month after being glutened. I now consider it a time of extreme vulnerability.

Those pesky neurological symptoms. Sometimes, I just wake up out of it and continue losing things/forgetting things until the more obvious symptoms rear their heads.

Last weekend I went famished to Whole Foods. I'd gotten comfortable eating safely from the salad bar, but the hot Indian food was irresistible. Even though I read the labels, there was gluten somewhere & I went back in a fog the next day and possibly consumed more! I'm still paying for it.

Now I'm going back to the "eating home food only" until I reach the one year mark (but will keep salad bar on safe list).

I can't wait until October. Everyone seems to be much, much better at this after the one year mark. I've been rushing myself thinking I can cut corners without paying the price of these hard learning lessons. Nope. I get to learn them just like everyone before me did.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#15 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I guess a few us have climbed into the same little rowboat here!

I've been feeling sick for a week and just noticed Trader Joe's corn tortillas are made in a facility that processes wheat. Doh. I've been careful to stick with tortilla brands I know are made in corn-only factories, but then the housemate bought these and.... well, you know...

Note to self (version 7.0):   READ... EVERY.... LABEL...

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: