17 replies to this topic

#1 HuberNS92

HuberNS92

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hello everyone: I am new to the Gluten-Free Diet lifestyle, so am unfamiliar with what I am able to eat. Fortunately, I have a girlfriend whom is gluten-free now, but our knowledge is still limited. I hoped that you all could help determine what foods are considered okay to eat. 

My first question is whether or not I can eat these tortilla chips. I live in a Fraternity House and eat a lot of these.

I can't find out how to use the attachements, so here are the ingredients: Yellow Stone Ground Corn Masa Flour and a Trace of Lime, Vegetable Oil (Canola and/or Safflower and/or soybean, Salt, TBHQ, Citric Acid.

I researched the flour and saw an instance of one girl having a reaction to the flour, but she commented that it seemed to be a bad batch.

Are these generally okay to eat?

Thanks,

Nate

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

I see no gluten in those. Mind you, i'd be more concerned about getting CC'd by others who eat those than the chips themselves.

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

There is no gluten in those. 

This might be helpful:

http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

You need to eat more than chips.  Not sure if you can safely eat anything served in the Frat.  You might want to talk to the cook about that.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 HuberNS92

HuberNS92

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hey guys! I have a few more questions. (1) I've seen that eggs can be a concern for some people. Whether the chicken is fed gluten-containing food or not. If you've read any of my other posts I'm not sure if I have gluten intolerance/celiacs or not, so obviously my symptoms are debilitating. Anyone care to weigh in if the eggs are a big deal? (2) High fructose corn syrup... Cool or not? And (3) Xanthum gum. It's in my salad dressing. I've read split rulings.

Thanks guys!

#5 BZBee

BZBee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Make sure gluten fingers aren't reaching for the same bowl or bag.

#6 HuberNS92

HuberNS92

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Make sure gluten fingers aren't reaching for the same bowl or bag.

Soooo, are you saying all those are O.K.?

#7 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yes.  They are as long as you don't have a intolerance to them (some people do). 

Biggest thing is to get to that bag of chips before those "gluten eating" folks do.  I've been training my extended family to 1) let me eat first and 2) pour from the bag on to individual plates or a napkin.  No reaching into the bag.  No need to do this at home, since it's gluten free completely, but when visiting a gluten filled house, it's the only way to survive!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

As for X gum, HF corn syrup and eggs - they are all gluten free. People, Celiac or not, can tolerate them. People, Celiac or not, don't tolerate one or more of them. You will have to see for yourself if those foods bother you or not.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Eggs are a staple food for me appearing poached daily on my breakfast table.  My cholesterol is not high.  They are an excellent protein source.  I would only take them out of my diet if I knew they were a problem.

#10 BZBee

BZBee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

They are ok as long as your friends don't contaminate the chips. Community food is always tricky for us celiacs. Make sure you get yours first or have a separate stash.

#11 HuberNS92

HuberNS92

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! I'm really happy to of found such a helpful forum. 

I doubt you have read my other thread. I am a possible candidate for Gluten sensitivity/Celiacs. It's not debilitating to me, but I have bloating, occasional diahrrea in the morning, brain fog, and fatigue. Also my hormones looking good. Those are the symptoms I think are related to Celiacs. 

Do you think that I need to be concerned about cross-contamination from people in the chips if my symptoms aren't SO bad?

Also, does anyone know if Whey Protein is gluten-free? I see glutamine on the back and that has me worried.

#12 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! I'm really happy to of found such a helpful forum. 

I doubt you have read my other thread. I am a possible candidate for Gluten sensitivity/Celiacs. It's not debilitating to me, but I have bloating, occasional diahrrea in the morning, brain fog, and fatigue. Also my hormones looking good. Those are the symptoms I think are related to Celiacs. 

Do you think that I need to be concerned about cross-contamination from people in the chips if my symptoms aren't SO bad?

Also, does anyone know if Whey Protein is gluten-free? I see glutamine on the back and that has me worried.

Glutamine isn't gluten. Whey is a part of milk. Both gluten-free.

Have you been tested for Celiac?

santa-dance.gif

#13 HuberNS92

HuberNS92

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Glutamine isn't gluten. Whey is a part of milk. Both gluten-free.

Have you been tested for Celiac?

Okay great. Do you know if the Whey Protein's other ingredients are okay or if there is a possibility of cross-contamination? I can post the ingredients on this forum if that is more helpful.

And this is the link to my other thread. I have the test is posted there.

http://www.celiac.co...3-gluten-issue/

#14 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Okay great. Do you know if the Whey Protein's other ingredients are okay or if there is a possibility of cross-contamination? I can post the ingredients on this forum if that is more helpful.

And this is the link to my other thread. I have the test is posted there.

http://www.celiac.co...3-gluten-issue/

Whey is an ingredient. It is a part of milk. It wouldn't have any other ingredients. It might be an ingredient in a protein powder. Most of them seem happy to state gluten-free on them if they are.

santa-dance.gif

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Glutamine and whey are gluten-free. Whey is dairy, so that may be of concern to those with dairy issues.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: