Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Swanson's Organic Chicken Broth Now Has Gluten

8 posts in this topic

If this has already been posted please excuse me for posting this. A week and a half ago my husband bought a carton of their broth,(knowing that it was safe) and just right now for no reason in particular I decided to look at the ingredients and was shocked to see wheat on the list. It's very disappointing as I will now have to throw it out.

Its puzzling as to why they would change their broth because I recall just last year seeing this broth on their gluten free list. BTW I live in Texas so maybe its a regional "thing"

Yvette

Ads by Google:

The organic broth has had wheat in it for years.  Every time I've checked a label it's been there.

I don't think they changed anything.  I learned the hard way.  Read every label, every time.  I think some of the Swanson broth is safe and some is not.

Really?? I could've sworn that I saw it on their gluten free list recently. I've read through that label many times and have never seen that. Unless I'm confusing it with something else.

Really?? I could've sworn that I saw it on their gluten free list recently. I've read through that label many times and have never seen that. Unless I'm confusing it with something else.

Swanson's 99% fat free is gluten free.  They tend to look alike, so it would be easy to get them mixed up.  And, yes, as others have noted, the "organic" has always contained gluten. 

I think their overlapping labels is what is confusing to me and their gluten free product list simply states chicken broth or stock.

I think their overlapping labels is what is confusing to me and their gluten free product list simply states chicken broth or stock.

http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/pdf/FAQ_GlutenFreeProductList.pdf

I agree, it is not clear.  Campell's is not one of the best to serve their gluten free customers - at least in the US.  In Canada, Campbells offers more options.

http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/pdf/FAQ_GlutenFreeProductList.pdf

I agree, it is not clear.  Campell's is not one of the best to serve their gluten free customers - at least in the US.  In Canada, Campbells offers more options.

Sometimes the Great White North is a better place. Campbells in Canada have an ongoing effort to reduce sodium content and eliminate gluten where possible. In the US, not so much.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Research with KP and find a celiac-savvy GI in your area ( read the biographies). and ask your PCP/GP for a referral to that specific GI (not his buddy).  Ask the GI for the rest  of the celiac panel or proceed with an endoscopy/biopsies -- 4 to six.  Keep eating gluten daily until all testing is complete.  Document and request in writing.  Do not worry about symptoms.  There are over 300 of them and some celiacs have none!   Research all that you can about celiac disease.  The University of Chicago has a great celiac website that has testing Information etc.   Poet me know how it works out.  Hope you feel better soon!  
    • I react to both wheat and barley.  I've opted to just go completely gluten free, for the sake of simplicity and my sanity.  I don't have a diagnosis of celiac disease, but I strongly suspect it.  Unfortunately, I'm not willing to endure the misery of staying on gluten long enough to pursue further testing.  I just know I need to avoid the gluten grains, so I do.  
    • I think that we have to remember that celiacs often develop intolerances due to our  damaged guts.  Our guts do not ncessarily heal either (usually adults) for  a variety of reasons even if their symptoms improve (see links below).   Nuts are just plain hard to digest.   I can not tolerate almonds, but can handle walnuts and cashews in small amounts.  I can eat peanuts too, but resort to Peanutbutter after a Glutening as it is easier to digest (maybe I have to learn to chew better!  😀)  My nut symptoms have  nothing to do with gluten as I have purchased certified gluten-free nuts and suffered with the same symptoms.  .   https://www.verywell.com/celiac-disease-when-will-your-small-intestine-recover-562341 http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/treatment/ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23936873 i call the manufacturer when I suspect the manufacturer is sharing the line or if I just want to know.  I bought some Black English walnuts and called the company.  Those are the only nuts they process and they do not have any flavored nuts.   if you really want to test your theory out, buy some nuts from Nuts.com (certified gluten-free).   See if you get a reaction or ask your GI to retest your antibodies (which should be done annually anyway).   I just hate to have Planters get a bum rap when you do not really know for sure.......😥    
    • New to forum! Appreciate all of the information.  I have Kaiser as many of you do.  My ttg is 1.18 (Kaiser <90), iga 31 (Kaiser <90). I have emailed my pcp in regards to where we go from here.  Is this a positive result or just a little above normal like Kaiser will tell me? I have had conflicting symptoms of some sort of inflammatory problem for 9 years.  I am almost convinced that this might be my answer. Can anyone give insight?
    • I eat them with no issues and know several other Celiacs that eat them with no issue.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mycaringkidsmom