23 replies to this topic

#16 foam

foam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

My allergist put me on a histamine free diet.. worked really well for my itching and general excessive histamine. I'm still on anti histamines for the Kimuras's disease (Zyrtec) but I can go off that and not itch which I couldn't before, I'd been scratching my skin off for 20 years

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thank you everybody for your advice and support. I have lately been focusing on these: getting to bed a bit earlier (though not optimal yet), and eating after 9-10 PM, and shortening my workout times. It would be very difficult for me to have days that are completely off workout because I have a desk job and I am in pain if I don't do something, so I decided to reduce the workout time. Other changes I did was getting a larger share of my calories at breakfast, and that has almost totally eliminated snacking/sugar cravings for the rest of the day. So far so good. I seem to have lost 3 kgs from the day I posted this. Fingers crossed.

I have also got my blood tests back. Hypoalbulinemia gone. Cortisol in range again (top half). TSH always suppressed, but FT3 and FT4 are getting lower, ever if they are still hyper, but I guess this means the therapy is working.

But the AMAZING thing, is that my aTPO was slashed in HALF. I wonder if the gluten-free diet helped on that one. It is still high, and positive, but half as it was about a year ago. Anti-tyreoperoxidase and TRab still the same thing.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#18 dlysarz

dlysarz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Thank you all for sharing your weight gain issues since being diagnosed with celiac disease.  I have been diagnosed with celiac, hashimotos thyroid, hypertension, arthritis, and menopause within the last 8 years.  I have gained 16 pounds in those 8 years.  Most might say that isn't terrible, only 2 lbs per year but I feel so unhealthy.  This is not my normal pre- celiac health condition.  I cannot seem to find the correct nutritional combination to stop the weight gaining process.  I have tried the 17 day diet and lost 4 pounds in 17 days and then stopped loosing even though I stayed on the diet.  I have tried just low fat, high protein diet totally eliminating carbs and I continue to gain.  My metabolism is altered with the decreased heart rate produced by the blood pressure medicine and my arthritis prevents me from the physical activity that I want to do.  The physical activity that I prefer is walking, group fitness classes at the gym, biking, weight lifting (light weights for shaping) but am not able to participate for the recommended time frames or with reguarity and I get discouraged and give up.  

Does anyone else experience the same or similar issues?  Does anyone have suggestions regarding the appropriate foods and physical activities to counter act this?  Please advise.  I need new and fresh input... D

#19 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

I found that when I significantly dropped my carbs I had to up my good fats so I didn't feel hungry and snack too much. I use avocados, olives, and oils of avocado, olive and coconut. Sweet potatoes are good too.

I don't deal with the extra sugar which is sometimes in low fat foods, and that gives me cravings too.

I ended up mostly paleo, lost 42 lbs so far, but more to go....

I did give myself a few months gluten-free before I tried losing weight, and found that I gained weight when I used gluten-free replacement foods like gluten-free bread, pasta, cake etc.

Good luck
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#20 CeliacInSenegal

CeliacInSenegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hi Butterfly Chaser, other medical issues may well be affecting things, but from what you said about your exercise routine and eating patterns, it seems like you are aren't nourishing your body enough for all that exercise. You've dealt with the starvation mode issue before, so you know that can make your body cling to every bit of nourishment you do give it, mess with your hormones, and encourage your body to sacrifice muscle before fat since it requires more energy to maintain (thereby lowering your metabolism further). For the very high amount of exercise you are doing, you should probably be eating quite a bit more than you are. You can look for BMR calculators online, plug in your target weight as the weight for calculation, and then factor in your activity level to get the amount of calories you'd need daily to be a healthy person at that goal weight. Your calorie level will be enough to make you lose steadily, but not so little that your body perceives it as unhealthy or starvation mode. You can find some options here:

I sometimes use the My Net Diary app to check on my dietary balance of protein/fat/carbs, and that seems to give a good estimate as well. For me, for example, as a fairly normal weight woman of 5'8" who is pretty active, it calculates that I need roughly 2500 a day to maintain and can shave off a hundred or two a day if I'm trying to lose a few pounds. It accounts for exercise as well and ups the number you can eat that day. When I do use it and look at my calories, it has been remarkably accurate and predicted correctly if my weight will head up or down based on how much I'm eating.

People have been trying to follow this conventional wisdom that tells them to restrict calories to 1500/day or less and exercise as much as possible, but as a society, we just keep getting fatter. Clearly this approach isn't working (and I know this firsthand from years of trying it myself). The body fights the weight lost, the individual can't live forever on so few calories, and when they do start to eat more again, they often rapidly gain back what they lost and more, given their new lower metabolism, starved body, and higher body fat composition. Luckily there is a lot of new research coming out that is showing more success with an approach focusing on quality of food (with plenty of protein) rather than quantity. It sounds like you've already got the food quality thing sussed, so maybe you just need to eat more of it!

Good luck with your tests and I hope you find some answers. Cheers.

*I just reread your posts and see that you are only 5'1'', so your level of calorie restriction isn't as extreme as I thought. Still, though, you are getting so much exercise, you likely need quite a few more calories to fuel your body. And with eating healthy whole foods like you are, it's pretty hard to overeat. Best of luck.

Diagnosed Celiac Jan-Feb 2013

Gluten Free since Feb. 2013

#21 CeliacInSenegal

CeliacInSenegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hmm, the BMR calculator link didn't show up, so maybe they aren't allowed. If this doesn't work, just check out the fat2fit radio bmr calculator. They have a very sensible approach to weight loss and their bmr calculator generates a table that tells you what your goal weight calories would be for your given activity level. (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/)

Diagnosed Celiac Jan-Feb 2013

Gluten Free since Feb. 2013

#22 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

You poor thing. I don't have any advice as I am in the same boat but wanted to let you know you aren't alone. 

#23 lyndaloo

lyndaloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

So...

As many of you know, I have been practically primal for over three months now. it does help a lot with my tummy, especially since I have limited my intake to 3 brazil nuts per day.

90% of what I eat is whole foods; the 10% of foods including human intervention are: milk and yogurt, coconut bread, sometimes two tablespoons of organic fruit spread (unsweetened) at breakfast, and, increasingly rarely because I've had reactions to it, very very dark chocolate. I only drink water, coffee, and tea; rarely enjoy a glass of wine if dining out (read: no more than twice per month).

I exercise 6 days a week (sometimes 7, or on the 7th day I walk a lot) for 90-120 minutes: usually half medium-high impact cardio, and half strength training; I rotate activities - dancing, bootcamping, running, etc.

I am hyperthyroid - or so I was in January. I have all antibodies for both Grave's and Hashimoto. My FT3 and FT4 were through the roof. I am getting treatment trying not to suppress my thyroid function because I have seen lots of "suppress and replace cases" around me which did. not. go. well. Many symptoms are disappearing. Insomnia, especially, is mostly gone. My period is back - sorry for TMI - after being in menopause for a year and a half (I am 30) following being underweight due to thyrotoxic crisis in 2011.

Now I am 30 lbs overweight, and no matter how hard I try I do not lose weight, but pounds keep creeping up. I gained 15 in a week in July 2012. I was hypERthyroid then. Then I gained 8 lbs in a month in October, soon after going gluten-free. I was still hypERthyroid. Then I gained 7 lbs in the past few months, while being primal/low-carb/calorie counting. AND *very* hypER.

My joints hurt from excess weight. I cannot move properly and I used to be a ballet bun. :( Lots of this is water weight - I have hypoalbulinemia. My cortisol levels are below range, so that's not what's making me fat.

What is going on with me? It is not just frustrating that no matter what I do my weight goes up and up, it is also scary, because no one seems to have neither an explanation nor a solution. :( :( :( :(

I want to cry :(

Check out Underground Wellness, Sean Croxton's ebook Dark side of Fat Loss...

#24 florida1641

florida1641

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:37 AM

So...

As many of you know, I have been practically primal for over three months now. it does help a lot with my tummy, especially since I have limited my intake to 3 brazil nuts per day.

90% of what I eat is whole foods; the 10% of foods including human intervention are: milk and yogurt, coconut bread, sometimes two tablespoons of organic fruit spread (unsweetened) at breakfast, and, increasingly rarely because I've had reactions to it, very very dark chocolate. I only drink water, coffee, and tea; rarely enjoy a glass of wine if dining out (read: no more than twice per month).

I exercise 6 days a week (sometimes 7, or on the 7th day I walk a lot) for 90-120 minutes: usually half medium-high impact cardio, and half strength training; I rotate activities - dancing, bootcamping, running, etc.

I am hyperthyroid - or so I was in January. I have all antibodies for both Grave's and Hashimoto. My FT3 and FT4 were through the roof. I am getting treatment trying not to suppress my thyroid function because I have seen lots of "suppress and replace cases" around me which did. not. go. well. Many symptoms are disappearing. Insomnia, especially, is mostly gone. My period is back - sorry for TMI - after being in menopause for a year and a half (I am 30) following being underweight due to thyrotoxic crisis in 2011.

Now I am 30 lbs overweight, and no matter how hard I try I do not lose weight, but pounds keep creeping up. I gained 15 in a week in July 2012. I was hypERthyroid then. Then I gained 8 lbs in a month in October, soon after going gluten-free. I was still hypERthyroid. Then I gained 7 lbs in the past few months, while being primal/low-carb/calorie counting. AND *very* hypER.

My joints hurt from excess weight. I cannot move properly and I used to be a ballet bun. :( Lots of this is water weight - I have hypoalbulinemia. My cortisol levels are below range, so that's not what's making me fat.

What is going on with me? It is not just frustrating that no matter what I do my weight goes up and up, it is also scary, because no one seems to have neither an explanation nor a solution. :( :( :( :(

I want to cry :(

They had me do all kinds of tests and everything was fine and nothing wrong. Well, I started to look at all different web sites to see why I'm gluten-free and still gaining weight and even watching my calorie intake and good healthy foods. Well, I found a doctor, that listened to me that something is wrong with copies of what web sites said was wrong with me, that said let's see if we can solve this puzzle. He did an endoscope and said that my bile duct was inflamed & blocked and there was an infection in my intestines. So, now he has me on a regimen of taking one antibiotic for one week and then for the next 3 weeks it is enzymes and probiotics (but not while on the antibiotics as they will kill the good & bad bacteria) and then a different antibiotic on the next month and then repeat every other month for the next 3 months. So far it seems to be working, as when I eat, I don't get sick and I'm not eating every 30 minutes as I wasn't able to eat anything after just a few bites without getting sick. He said that I need to take enzymes and probiotics everyday. He said that probably part of my problem was because I wasn't taking enzymes and probiotics from the start of my Celiac’s but I'm still extremely tired and find myself wanting to fall asleep at 11:30 am, even though I get a good night’s sleep. He said that all my levels are good but my body is and has been fighting this major infection in my intestines. My advice, Celiac is still so new and research your symptoms and be proactive with your doctor and don’t give up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: