7 replies to this topic

#1 Vixine

Vixine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new here and had a question about gluten withdrawals.  I have self-diagnosed with a possible gluten-sensitivity or even celiac, who knows.  I'm going to the dr. next week to see about a test, but I am doing a trail elimination as of Monday (today is day 4).  

I suspect gluten because I have bloating after meals (though painless), chronic constipation, asthma, restless leg syndrome, insomnia issues, anxiety and irritability, and some mild depressive symptoms, chronic stuffy nose/sinus issues, fatigue/difficulty motivating, and difficulty focusing/brain fog.

So all of these things are on the list of possible symptoms and it would be amazing if this was my answer.  

However after 4 days of cutting out gluten I am feeling intensely irritable and sad, body aches, bloating and stomach discomfort, headaches, and starting today suddenly this feeling like everything without gluten is just not worth eating! (even the stuff that I normally like doesn't sound good right now).  Just feeling all around crappy.

Just wanted a little feedback - wondering how many of you experienced withdrawal symptoms when you cut gluten - what they were - and how LONG it lasted?  I can handle this for a few days but I read a post somewhere else that someone was super depressed for three months after cutting gluten.... ugh, I don't want that!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Normal, mine lasted a month or so.

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh yes. I hit withdrawl too. Very nasty.  :(  Hang in there.

I felt poorly - meaning worse than normal - for about 2 weeks. the migraine and the moodiness was quite annoying... I'm sure that I was quite annoying at that time too.  LOL Hang in there. It will slowly ease up until one day you will notice you are feeling better. I would guess you could be feeling better by Easter.

Eat well, take your vitamins and probiotics, try L-glutamine (speeds recovery), and maybe something to help withe the inflammation.

Hope you feel well soon.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Vixine

Vixine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replies... Two weeks I think I can handle...

Tonight I felt like I was withdrawing from heroine or something (not that I'd know first hand but I've seen it in the movies!) - body aches, chills, feeling faint, stomach cramps.  Man - if this is the gluten it makes me never want it again.  Just woke up, feeling a little better but wondering what is in store tomorrow.  Glad to know it hopefully won't last months - eek.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I couldn't say how long.  My situation was just too complicated with cross contamination, food intolerances, and nutritional deficits.  I am now 10 months free and have a clear mind!

Diana

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Unfortunately, you need to be earing gluten for accurate testing.  and, yes, it can feel like opiate withdrawl.

#7 norman516

norman516

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

As a follow up question, is having withdrawal a sign that you definitely have gluten sensitivity/intolerance? 

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

No. Your body likes the gluten, and it wants more. Kinda think of it like how a little kid wants more sugary treats after only being allowed to have one. Logically, there shouldn't be a temper tantrum, but there ends up being one anyway. Thus, your body is throwing a temper tantrum right now because it does not have what it wants.

Or at least thats how i think of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: