Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Finally Some Excellent News...

14 posts in this topic

Finally some good news - after an unexpected, shocker diagnosis on May 3, 2012, many dietitian appointments, 2 endoscopies, 1 colonoscopy, 1 capsule test, and a partridge in a pear tree later, I finally got the news from my GI doc that my TTG levels are within normal range and an intestinal biopsy confirmed that my villi have returned back to normal!!!  The good news seems surreal after so many bumps in the road...

I didnt write this to brag - rather to lend some support to those of you who may be struggling or thinking that things cant get better.  It hasn't been easy - and this is coming from a girl who lived off of chicken fingers, pizza, and macaroni and cheese for most of her life.  Yes, I had to change most of my lifestyle habits, and yes, there have been many accidental slip-ups, tears, and feelings of anger/frustration along the way.  But it DOES get better....thanks to everyone on this forum who have listened to me vent, provided support when I needed it, and helped me get on the road to being healthy.  I'll be sure to continue to return the favor where ever possible!! 

Ads by Google:

So very happy for you LauraB!  Your inspirational post can only serve as motivation, when there are down times, for the many who visit here and are struggling daily.  Thank you! 

Life is good! :D

Congrats!!  That's awesome!  :D

Woohoo!!! Gotta watch out for those partridges huh?

Brilliant news, well done :)

Thanks for inspiring those of us new to the journey

Many kudos to you Laura.  That is a great accomplishment in only a year.  Very happy for you.

By the way,  I can't stop thinking about the partridge and the tree awkward-smile-smiley-emoticon.png

Colleen 

blow.gif

Good for you, hon! I noticed from the beginning that you have a mega-positive attitude and you did your homework and you tamed the beast.

A celiac DX is not the end of the world (though many view it that way at first) and you're proof that healing happens.

Rock on, little sister! Thanks for sharing your success story. It helps in so many ways.

hugs, IH

so happy for you! thanks for sharing.

That's great! :)

I can't believe I get to be the first person to say "It only gets easier from here!". :D

Yay!

Out of curiosity... Was your follow up endoscopy routine follow-up. I am approaching a year since diagnosis and wondering if another endoscopy will be recommended. Personally my symptoms have improved but not 100% and it makes me wonder how healed I am.

Thank you everyone!!!

Christine - Yes, my endoscopy was a 1 year follow-up...the capsule/video test I took in October showed continued damage in my duodenum (even though my TTG levels dropped significantly) so the doctor just wanted to do another biopsy just to make sure that I continued to heal.  I was curious also (and needed a little conformation that I was making some progress) so we agreed to go ahead and do the one year follow-up endoscopy and biopsy.  My symptoms when I get glutened are mostly some bloating, but mainly fatigue and joint pain.  Since I work full time and attend nursing school in the evenings, I'm never really sure whether the fatigue is gluten related or because I'm so busy and tired.  So the endoscopy was a way for me to really tell how I've been doing.  I hope your one year follow up goes well!!!!

Woo hoo!!!  Good to know there is light at the end of this tunnel!!  :D

Awesome! All of my blood work came back in normal ranges a couple of months ago as well, but I need to find a new GI doc to do my follow up endo to make sure I'm totally healing the way I need to be. Congrats! You were diagnosed only a month after me!