21 replies to this topic

#16 hannahisabrooks

hannahisabrooks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Has anyone taking a back pack trip and how would you pack for that?  I personally would not want to put what's on my list on my back, but maybe in a large tired suitcase on wheels?  Maybe I just invented the large- wheel for suitcase concept, but it sounds like a winner to me!

Diana

I think it depends on where you're traveling to. If you're traveling to more developed countries, then I don't see that as a problem. I would bring essentials but try to then stay in hostels where they have kitchens you can use, or stay anywhere where you could buy food there and cook. However, in certain places, I think a large suitcase would be impossible. Personally, I have never traveled with a suitcase. I always bring backpacks because they're much easier for me to lug around. =) My back does get tired though some days!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 hannahisabrooks

hannahisabrooks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Exactly!

I plan to, one day, travel to Japan. I know that i'd probably have to either rent an apartment per area so i could cook, but that won't stop me :)

I've been to Japan, Korea, and China. And out of these three, personally, I think Japan and China would be he hardest because they seem to add soy sauce to so many different things. However, wheat can sneak in a lot of foods. A lot of foreigners go to Japan and I'm sure there has been at least one with Celiacs, so just do some research. I lived in Korea for one year, and I'm not pretty familiar with the cuisine and what I can eat and what I can't. If you just eat traditional Korean food, I think it wouldn't be too bad because they don't add soy sauce to nearly as many things as they do in Japan or China. Don't eat the Korean hot pepper paste though, called gochujang 고추장.  If you go to Japan, make sure you go to Korea too. It's just one ferry ride away and it's amazing!

#18 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

My plan is to cook for myself, so getting meat, veggies, fruits and rice won't be an issue. I've got two years of japanese under my belt, so it wouldnt be too difficult.

#19 Coryad

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

I was also a vegetarian before diagnosed. While I'm still trying my hardest not to eat meat, I do struggle. How did you start eating meat again? It makes me feel bloated and I get painfully constipated.

Thanks for the encouragement about traveling btw. I can't wait to hit the road again!

It was really hard.... I started with a bit of chicken maybe twice a week, slowly added a little more.  I really don't eat much red meat because it makes me kind of nauseous :(  Just take your time and hiding it in other foods helps :D  

Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

#20 Coryad

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I've been to Japan, Korea, and China. And out of these three, personally, I think Japan and China would be he hardest because they seem to add soy sauce to so many different things. However, wheat can sneak in a lot of foods. A lot of foreigners go to Japan and I'm sure there has been at least one with Celiacs, so just do some research. I lived in Korea for one year, and I'm not pretty familiar with the cuisine and what I can eat and what I can't. If you just eat traditional Korean food, I think it wouldn't be too bad because they don't add soy sauce to nearly as many things as they do in Japan or China. Don't eat the Korean hot pepper paste though, called gochujang 고추장.  If you go to Japan, make sure you go to Korea too. It's just one ferry ride away and it's amazing!

I am currently in China (surprise, surprise) and I have to say if you eat traditional Chinese there isn't a lot of soy sauce. Definitely some though!  I've been able to eat pretty much everything that my colleagues eat and I have not had one issue....  I can always fall back on rice just in case :D

Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

#21 hannahisabrooks

hannahisabrooks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

My plan is to cook for myself, so getting meat, veggies, fruits and rice won't be an issue. I've got two years of japanese under my belt, so it wouldnt be too difficult.

Enjoy! I'm sure you'll love it. It's a beautiful country.

#22 hannahisabrooks

hannahisabrooks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I am currently in China (surprise, surprise) and I have to say if you eat traditional Chinese there isn't a lot of soy sauce. Definitely some though!  I've been able to eat pretty much everything that my colleagues eat and I have not had one issue....  I can always fall back on rice just in case :D

Awesome! I'm glad you have found foods to eat. Is there a website you can suggest where I can find a list of foods to eat? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: