18 replies to this topic

#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I made it 35 days gluten-free and noticed many changes: skin looked better, eyes looked better. My lab results continually got better where Ferritin & hemoglobin were concerned. The last blood test showed high lymphs and low neutrophils but didn't concern me since my body seemed to be going through quite an ordeal once going gluten-free in October. I'm awaiting new test results come Monday.

Last weekend I accidentally consumed gluten, I believe, both Saturday and Sunday. My arms are very weak. There's a lot of petechiae on both arms and my stools are very pale in color. I itch all over (no rash). I am so weak and have spent three full days in bed. Before, when I was glutened, I had symptoms but the constellation of petechiae, pale stool and itching were either not there or not close to being this pronounced. Even though the fatigue was intense, I at least began having a better outlook about the 4th day. Not this time. I'm so weak and feeling thrashed even though I've been in bed (except for lots of laundry two days ago which wiped me out).

Can any of you speak to the increase in symptoms? Could consuming gluten two days in a row increase the symptoms and recovery time this much?

I'm getting worried. I keep telling myself it really is just the gluten. Can gluten have this big an impact on other conditions? I keep thinking of the toenail a girl "picked off" my foot a few years ago. I feel like I'm about to turn into powder.

:(
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Has a doctor checked out the petechiae spots yet ?  Sounds like your liver or gall bladder is rather unhappy.  (and yes, gluten damage can do almost anything. Sorry.)

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

I get trashed for weeks at a time. Tired, not like "oh I'm sleepy" tired, but the type of tired and fatigue where I literally can't sit up in a chair for 30 straight minutes. I have mental problems, neurological problems, I itch anyway but it gets worse, plus all my bowel issues. I'm sure I'm missing things that I'd remember if they were happening. And this is all from a single trace CC event. It is truly amazing what a single stupid protein can do to you.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm seeing the hematologist on Wednesday. Add that my hair & eyelashes just started shedding. I am having a difficult time getting ready for the day and it's almost 1pm, not to mention, I look contagious. Guess I thought I'd be rounding the bend at this point... Really don't know what to say to people to whom I have commitments.
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#5 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Wow Adelaide. The last glutening lasted about 10 days and less symptoms. Guess I'd like it to remain on a predictable schedule :-(

Sorry folks. This is the pits.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm sorry you are so unwell.  :(

Have you had your platelet count checked? Petechiae are tiny bleeds - hemorrhages - under the skin that can be innocent (from too much coughing or vomitting, or certain medications) to more dangerous problems like serious infection or autoimmune disease (I had this with ITP).

http://www.mayoclini...DSECTION=causes

If things get worse, or don't improve, you might want to see a doctor sooner than Wednesday. I had petechiae and deep fatigue years ago from ITP, and by time they found it I was critical. If you have a lot of bruising, fatigue, and heavy menstral flow, please go to the doctor.

I hope you are well soon.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Wow. i'm so sorry.

The lab technician did comment on the amount of blood that ran out of my arm when I neglected to apply pressure... I'll call the doctor. My hematologist is off on Friday. The doc will probably tell me to go to the hospital if I feel that sick. How does a person make that decision when unable to be objective? The last thing I want to do is worry my husband.

I do have moderate-heavy bleeding. My periods typically wrap up on the third day & this is day 3. No major bruising.

This would have to be on a Friday. Oh well. Ergh

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Well, the good news first.  You probably won't turn into powder.  At least I hope not.  Maybe you should keep some plastic baggies around just in case though. :)

The immune system is one of those gung-ho for the job type of things.  It will keep up it's attack on your body until it is satisfied that all the gluten cowboys that rode into town are dead, the horses they rode in on are dead, and the grass land those horses grazed on is scorched earth.  Sorry, the good news was first, this is the bad news section.  The antibodie production train will slow down and stop in time, but it could take 4 to 6 weeks, more or less..  The antibodies really, really don't likea the gluten.

You can try some Pepto-Bismol for your gut, and lay off sugar and starches for a while.  That might help.  Peppermint tea is good for getting gas out of the stomach if that is a problem.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

It does feel like scorched earth policy going on inside. Doctor said not to second guess petechiae rash so I'm sitting in the emergency room on a Friday afternoon. That's what I get for waiting.

Thanks guys.

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Good luck, Cali.  I am sorry you are sick and have to be sitting in the ER but I think that was a wise choice...and I hate the ER as much as anyone else.  keep us posted on how you are doing.

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Wow!  What a day.  My reactions did change after gluten free.  I think my body was too overwhelmed before gluten free to let me know that it didn't like it.  Stay away from gluten, you aren't at ground zero.  Get well and over it!

Diana

#12 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thank you, Gemini. I will.

#13 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks, Diana. It's difficult to get a clear perspective on whether or not I was just acclimated to feeling sick before or if my symptoms have become worse. I have been ill for a long time. It's overwhelming & foggy. Hoping this is nothing but a gluten flare and that I'm wasting everyone's time.

#14 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks folks. I checked out okay. Apparently there's nothing too big going on, except for a bill coming in the mail soon.

#15 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'm sorry my post was a bit scarey. I was about to reply to your reply to me, and then I scrolled down and saw you went to the doctor.  You periods aren't too heavy (I got up to 20 days once LOL) and without bruising I would guess it wasn't too critical.  I'm glad you got it checked out though... I'm sorry it wrecked your Friday night though.

So your platelet levels were normal? Did they share their results with you?

I hope you feel better soon!

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: