23 replies to this topic

#16 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Thanks-- went back to work today for the first time in a week. Tuckered me out!

Wow, I took my eyes off the board for 2 mins and so much went on!
I hope you like your spiraliser as much as I do - I've had vegetable 'noodles' for every meal but dessert, lol. I like the thin noodle attachment the best. So far I've done: courgette, carrot, swede and now butternut squash (just used the solid top section).

I still think it's great, I get that'stuff your mouth full of noodles' feeling that I miss. Also, however you cook the noodles, it takes a LOT less cooking time than if you cooked the veg 'chopped up'.

I had to turn the swede using my hands, rather than by cranking the handle, but I did put the whole thing on at once! If I had cut off an appropriate sizes portion, then it probably would have worked just by cranking the handle.

Happy noodling! :-)

Obvious symptoms started as a baby with gastroenteritis....
Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.
Low sugar/refined carbs since Aug '08 due to reactive hypoglycemia.

22/03/13 Mung beans and blackeyebeans reintroduced successfully!

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

One happy noodler here :D

much improved ZuNoodles over my julienne mandolin!

Also made sweet potato and yam curly Q fries -- yum and more fun than my regular version.

Was set to try a butternut squash today --- glad to hear it went well for you.

HIGHLY suggest any grain-frees out there order or pick up one of these little machines

Oh I used the small attatchment for ZuNoodles and the larger one for the sweet potato fries..

Thanks again for posting this fun machine :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Sweet potato curly fries! Great minds think alike, they are next on my list, I might try them with the straight blade though....I haven't even taken the protective sticker off that blade yet, so not sure how thick it will cut.

I did thin parsnip noodles, sprayed with a little oil and fried in a non stick pan, I was going for crunchy, but didn't have enough oil to shallow/deep fry and not enough time to use the oven to bake them, but the result was tasty all the same!

If you have any more successes, I'd love to hear.

Another reason I like this is that I'm also nightshade free, and missing chips (fries) and crisps (chips, lol). The vegetable crisps that I buy are very expensive, and my attempts to make parsnip crisps (thin slices using a peeler and baked in the oven) so far have been a fail....
:-)

Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sweet potato curly fries! Great minds think alike, they are next on my list, I might try them with the straight blade though....I haven't even taken the protective sticker off that blade yet, so not sure how thick it will cut.

I did thin parsnip noodles, sprayed with a little oil and fried in a non stick pan, I was going for crunchy, but didn't have enough oil to shallow/deep fry and not enough time to use the oven to bake them, but the result was tasty all the same!

If you have any more successes, I'd love to hear.

Another reason I like this is that I'm also nightshade free, and missing chips (fries) and crisps (chips, lol). The vegetable crisps that I buy are very expensive, and my attempts to make parsnip crisps (thin slices using a peeler and baked in the oven) so far have been a fail....
:-)

Exactly -- what I would give for a real potato chip substitute -- we do pretty well with baking sweet potato chips in the oven -- the thinner you get them the better....we have fried some in oil that turned out ok...but for the huge amount of oil in the pan and eventually in my body -- the oven ones get my vote - thus far.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#20 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Lisa, how 'bout if you spritzed the oven fries first with a little olive oil or something ?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#21 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hi Patti!

That's what we do....I toss with olive or melted coconut oil...they are yummy...just not very crunchy

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#22 Dylanm

Dylanm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I am going to get a Spirooli (same idea).  I have been very interested in a raw food diet and if I decide to move forward with it or not I know having veggie pasta would be a huge improvement from rice pasta.  I am also going to plant my first garden this summer and will need to get crafty with how I am going to consume my harvest.  I read some of your comments and I am glad to know that you are enjoying yours! :)

#23 Mark_1

Mark_1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

do you add any protein to your pasta ?

Since i am totally grain and psuedo-grain free, I have really missed pasta.
I'm quite excited at the thought of getting my teeth into something that vaguely resembles pasta.
I've done lots of research and have ordered this:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone else tried it?

Thanks
Diane

#24 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

do you add any protein to your pasta ?

Well, I'd certainly serve protein containing foods with it. E.g. Homemade beef/turkey bolognese, a piece of pan-fried salmon, or a piece of chicken.

Or I even like it sprinkled with roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds - one day.......I would love to try something creamy or cheesey, but I can't do dairy, yet, lol.

Is that what you mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: