2 replies to this topic

#1 Weeber47

Weeber47

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

I was recently diagnosed and am having a hard time dealing with not knowing what to eat, even though my dietician gave me plenty of information and I have found plenty of useful information on this site.

I guess my biggest problem is family events. My family is constantly having huge get togethers and they are chefs so they cook elaborate meals, appetizers, desserts...well, none of which I can eat and I feel left out most of the time. I never want to go anymore because its always awkward going into the kitchen full of people and make my own food.

Is there anything I can prepare ahead of time?? And how do I explain to my family about all of this...they are always asking me questions and I'm never sure how to answer their barrage of questions.

Diagnosed with Celiacs January 2013

Gallbladder Removed May 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

If you can make it, you can take it. Anything from pastas, to other dishes. As long as you can heat it up for the meal, I don't see why you couldn't do so.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Many things that you use to have, you can....just with a bit of a twist. 

When you are newly diagnosed, it's always a large transition.  Take little steps.  Begin with cooking simple with fresh veggies, meats, fish, fresh fruit, and potatoes and rice.  Shop on the outside of the store and stay away from processed foods.  Use salt, pepper and simple spices for flavor.

Tell your family the truth..that you have been diagnosed with a medical condition called Celiac Disease. Educate yourself and share your knowledge. Yes, this is a great place to learn and we can help you along your way.

In my community, we often share in a pot-luck type of gathering.  I always bring something that I can enjoy as a meal for me, as well share with others.

Take a minute to catch your breath.......it will be okay and the road to good health is ahead of you.  :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: