1 reply to this topic

#1 danelleme

danelleme

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am new at this because my daughter has just started a gluten free diet but they have been giving her the turkey sausage at school and she has had problems. So I am concern if it is gluten free. I have read that it is but when I email the company they tell me that the only items they have certified gluten free is Sara Lee deli meats and aidells sausage. They do not promote or certify that any of their other products are gluten free. Can anyone help me with this. I am so confused. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

I am new at this because my daughter has just started a gluten free diet but they have been giving her the turkey sausage at school and she has had problems. So I am concern if it is gluten free. I have read that it is but when I email the company they tell me that the only items they have certified gluten free is Sara Lee deli meats and aidells sausage. They do not promote or certify that any of their other products are gluten free. Can anyone help me with this. I am so confused. Thanks

Welcome!  Generally,  a product that is certified means that it has been tested for it's  gluten level.  If other products do not contain gluten and are not tested, they are not certified.  All gluten free labeling, at this time in the US is totally voluntary.  

The turkey sausage could be contaminated from the gril, even though gluten free.  But I would revisit her diet. If new to the diet, she needs to be off dairy for a while until she can heal.  Dairy can mimick being glutened as well. Once healed, it can be slowly introduced.

Keep a food diary as well as you can, since she is at school.  That will be helpful.

Edited:  And all food may be problematic for a while, until some healing can take place.  Be careful and have patience. ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: