Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Intolerances And Blood Sugar Issues , A Connection Beyond Diabetes?

7 posts in this topic

Intolerances and blood sugar issues ,, a connection ??

Recently I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I have been tracking my blood sugar levels for awhile now.

Interesting ( to me anyway :) ) is how my blood sugar levels reacts to different  foods.In particular how my blood sugar levels reacted to foods that I had been  questioning ( wither or not  I was  intolerant  ).

I have been grain free except for rice for quite awhile . I had been questioning rice before  I started tracking my blood sugar levels . Once testing my blood sugar levels I found that rice was sending my blood sugar off the charts ( over 200) even when eaten in very small amounts and eaten with a protein .  It was when I tested dairy that I began to wonder ( dairy sent my blood sugar levels threw the floor , into the 40-50's :ph34r: )

Peanut butter was another food I had been questioning ( my blood sugar levels were all over the place when eating peanut butter)

Since eliminating rice, dairy  :( and peanut butter  my blood sugar levels have been stable .

, I am currently grain, refined sugar/artificial sweetener  ,dairy free ,along with gluten and soy free( among others :rolleyes:  ), I eat  frequently and am strict about eating a protein when ever I eat a carb  ,   so those could be  the reasons my levels are currently  stable but I wonder ,,,,,,,,,,

So I am asking these knowledgeable forums,,,

Could there be a connection  between intolerances and blood sugar issues ??

Ads by Google:

This is interesting. I am amazed to note the diverse blood sugar reactions that you had toward various foods. I have always thought there was some connection.  I feel as if when I eat something I don't tolerate that my body just doesn't process it.  I don't think it takes in anything else that came with it either.  That tends to make the blood sugar low. 

I haven't started keeping track of blood sugar yet, but I feel more inclined to do it having read this.  I am feeling like some foods I don't tolerate are still going in.  I need some way to discover what they are.

I have read that grains like rice and wheat, can affect your blood sugar more than table sugar. I remember being shocked that a slice of whole grain bread has more readily available sugar to you blood than a few teaspoons of sugar... Just crazy! (I have read this in books like Wheat Belly and not medical journals though.)

I used to have a bit of (undiagnosed hypoglycemia when my celiac was untreated. I would get the shakes and be light headed if I wasn't eating every 2-3 hours. It was worse when i ate grains too.

I hope you feel better soon and can reintroduce some of those foods into your diet as your healin goes on.

Rice is a carb. Carbs turn into sugar... thus can spike your blood sugar. No real big surprise there.

Unless that peanut butter had sugar already added to it (some do), i don't see how it could. Its pretty much its own protein source. Have you tested regular peanuts as opposed to the butter?

As for dairy, huh? It made it lower? If i'm understanding that correctly.

Rice is a carb. Carbs turn into sugar... thus can spike your blood sugar. No real big surprise there.

Unless that peanut butter had sugar already added to it (some do), i don't see how it could. Its pretty much its own protein source. Have you tested regular peanuts as opposed to the butter?

As for dairy, huh? It made it lower? If i'm understanding that correctly.

The rice I understood being that it is  a high glycemic  carb.

The peanut butter was suckers natural ingredients were just  peanuts and salt . I did a trial with just plain peanuts and since have eliminated peanuts altogether .

Yes my BS readings were very low with dairy.Scary low :ph34r:

I guess if I was not absorbing the dairy it could  have  caused the very low readings.

Well the sugar in milk is lactose, and a lot of celiacs don't break it down properly due to intestinal damage, so if low blood sugar would result from only having the protein in milk get absorbed, then that makes sense I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if differences in blood sugar could be something like an intolerance. I'd probably, however, call diabetes (at least type 2 diabetes) an intolerance in and of itself though.

I find that some foods must be eaten in combination with others to stabilize or maintain blood sugar. Is this because I'm "hungry" and my body needs a "complete" meal or because an individual food causes glucose to go wonky? I don't know, excellent question.

I do know as I get healthier (including exercise) my glucose is more stable regardless of what I eat. I think I was headed into (or already in) Syndrome X/Metabolic Syndrome territory. http://www.m.webmd.com/heart-disease/metabolic-syndrome-what-is-it?page=1

I think many of us are vulnerable to the above, because we generally go so long undiagnosed with AI disease that we live by coping - and struggle to exercise and be active. We may also pick up unhealthy eating habits to compensate for foods that make us sick.

Ironically, I headed deep into X territory while trying to heal from celiac. I was so strung out, tired, etc. that I was very inactive. One day it all crashed, with a big nudge from the steroids for that Damn Rash).