5 replies to this topic

#1 solitaire_master-(*)>

solitaire_master-(*)>

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

How many of you had lactose intolerance kick up after going gluten free? Does anyone know the medical answer to why this happens? Is it indicative of a gluten sensitivity or celiacs disease if other food allergies start after going gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

My lactose intolerance started years before I was diagnosed so I'm not of much help.  BUT I have heard of health problems showing up after a chronic problem is treated; it's sort of like the bodyrelaxes now that one issue is being dealt with so it focuses on the next one.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 masterjen

masterjen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

I developed lactose intolerance after going gluten-free as well.  I too, would like to know of any medical explanation for this, esp. when my last endoscopy showed the vili to be back to normal.  I've heard other people say they have developed other food intolerances after going gluten-free, too.

Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#4 solitaire_master-(*)>

solitaire_master-(*)>

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Flatulance from lactose has gone down after reincorporating gluten into my diet but not like before.

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Welcome!

To digest lactose - our bodies need lactase - this enzyme is produced in the small intestine.  It is advised that newly diagnosed remove dairy for six months if they notice a problem -- most get dairy back.

If there is significant to severe damage of the small intestine prior to diagnosis -- a few more intolerances may come into play until healing can take place.  Most folks get these foods back = eventually.

Hang in there -- it absolutely gets better :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Flatulance from lactose has gone down after reincorporating gluten into my diet but not like before.

Why did you remove gluten originally?

Perhaps your body is too busy processing gluten to worry about dairy.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: