22 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Back to the original poster but this would apply to others posting here: you will have to stand up for yourself and your health. If you do not think you can eat something safely, you don't eat it. You can choose to explain it a few times to close family but ....Don't let them talk you into doing something you know will hurt you. If they can't prepare and eat their gluteny junk food in a way that is safe for you, don't be around them.

Gluten is poison for us. Anyone who wants us to eat gluten/ poison might need to be avoided if you can't put your foot down and make them listen.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Gluten is poison for us. Anyone who wants us to eat gluten/ poison might need to be avoided if you can't put your foot down and make them listen.

Agree completely and if you are the Mom of the household, they need you to be healthy.

These family members who are uncooperative should be made very aware that you have a serious, life-threatening disease (if it is not treated) and the treatment is a strict gluten-free diet.

Period. 

These family members  should also be tested as this is hereditary.

If you feed your family healthy meals everyone can eat, along with occassional G F treats, no one should complain about the food.

All of these meals and snacks listed below are G F, but not any more expensive than meals I prepared before diagnosis.

(this info is in the Newbie 101 thread under the Coping Section)

LUNCH and DINNER ideas:
Leftovers from last night's dinner make an easy lunch
Some Progresso soups are gluten-free. Check the label!
Some Pacific and Imagine brand soups. Read the label!
A sandwich with gluten free bread or rolls—UDIs, Rudi's, Glutino Genius, Scharr's and Canyon Bakehouse --all have decent packaged breads, rolls and bagels, but homemade is the way to go.The baking section has many ideas. 
A big salad or an antipasta with tons of veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp and Hard-boiled eggs/ with gluten-free or homemade vinegrette dressing. 
A list of gluten free salad dressings is available online. Marzettis, and most of WishBone and Ken's are okay. Homemade is best!
Homemade vegetable minestrone ,chicken soup, stews, black bean or White bean chili (use gluten-free stock--pacific, imagine or make your own from scratch--even better!)
Chicken or bean nachos (can use corn tortillas)
Red beans and rice
grilled burgers and beans (Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and Bush's Baked Beans are gluten-free)on a bun (Udi's makes hamburger rolls now or you can make your own. CHEBE bread mix makes killer rolls)
almost all mexican food is safe (just no flour tortillas!)
Pasta and sauce w/meatballs (brown rice or corn pasta) 
TINKYADA BRAND penne pasta is delicious! Cook 13 minutes exactly. Trust me!) and use gluten-free breadcrumbs (purchase or just grind some gluten-free bread and season)in your meatballs
Another good pasta is CORN pasta. BiAglut or Sam's Hill are a couple. Cook as directed.
meatloaf (beef or ground turkey) baked potato or yams, green veggie of some kind
Other proteins: roasted or grilled chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, talapia, scallops, lamb, some sausages are safe, bacon (Check labels)
Vegetarian chili--homemade.
I eat a variety of veggies.....whatever looks fresh at the super market or farmer's market or stands...steamed, grilled--- or roasted root veggies in stock.
Sweet potatoes—baked at 350 degrees in a pan for 45-50 mins.--are yummy
Potatoes—roasted, grilled, in a gratin or whipped with milk
Fritattas with veggies and salad
Stuffed peppers—with ground turkey, beef or lamb and rice

ANYTHING GOES!! smile.gif 

ANY recipe you already use can probably be altered--just use gluten-free breadcrumbs or rice/corn pasta ---use any flour made from amaranth, corn, bean, etc...just NO WHEAT, RYE OR BARLEY or cross -contaminated OATS. 

Snack ideas that are safe and handy 

Cozy Shack Rice Pudding or Tapioca cups (in the dairy section)
All natural applesauce cups
Gluten-free cookies or muffins (Bake them or buy them.) 
Pamela's Baking Mix is versatile and good for cookies, baked goods. There are many options (check the recipe and baking section on the forum)
Bagel with cream cheese and jam or nut butters. Udi's and Glutino bagels are pretty good (frozen section)
Pamela's and King Arthur gluten-free--makes a very good brownie mix too!
Chobani Yogurt or So Delicious coconut milk Yogurts- if you cannot have dairy
Scharr cookies (chocolate-dipped shortbread or the mocha layers--are VERY tasty!)
Lundberg rice cakes or sliced apples and celery sticks with natural peanut butter or almond butter or hummus smeared on
Mary's Gone Crackers, Crunchmaster's or Glutino crackers with cheese or peanut butter
BOAR's Head or Applegate Farms deli--ham, turkey, pepperoni, salami, proscuitto--most all cold cuts and cheeses
Slices of cantaloupe wrapped in proscuitto
Watermelon with crumbled feta cheese
Peanuts, almonds, cashews. (I like Blue Diamond or 
Nutsonline.com has a HUGE gluten-free selection of nuts and flours)
SUNMAID raisins, prunes. Craisins by Ocean Spray. (**some raisins and dried fruits are dusted with flour to keep them from sticking but these brands are safe.)
Smoothies- made with coconut milk, various fruits, yogurt, etc.
Potato chips----like Cape Cod, Kettle Brand, Utz
Indiana Popcorn--comes in all flavors--the kettle corn is delicious
Glutino brand pretzels—they come in all flavors even chocolate -coated
Coconut milk, creamer and ice cream ( So Delicious brand is very good)
Ice Cream, if dairy is not a problem for you. Most Haagen Das flavors are good, for example. READ LABELS!!!
Organic Corn chips w/salsa, hummus, or Guacamole
Sunflower , pumpkin or flaxseeds
Candy—Hershey's kisses or regular size bars, regular size Reese's cups, Snickers, York peppermint patty, Health Bars, Butterfinger and M &Ms plain and peanut. Ghirardelli squares. These were safe--last I read online--but READ LABELS!
Enjoy Life chocolate chips, chunks and Boom Choco Boom bars (free of ALL top 8 allergens)
Make some Chex mix with gluten-free chex cereals
gluten-free Rice Krispies treats (recipes are online)
CHEBE pizza and breadstick mixes—are very good.
Against the Grain and Glutino make some good frozen pizzas.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 Melissa.77

Melissa.77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info very helpfull to me.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Do not despair, hon.  It does get easier, I promise! Soon, it will be the "new normal".

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 Melissa.77

Melissa.77

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Well spent hours with dietitian and she does believe I may have alot of food allergies. She has also put me on a high protien and fat diet to put some weight on my bones to. Kind of a little week at times so got to get some strngth back.

#21 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

OP, your mom sounds like mine. She believes me that I have an illness, but everytime I see her, she offers me something or suggests something for me to eat. She brings up items that me and her cooked ages ago and froze (gluten free peroggies) that I now don't want to touch, and she doesn't understand it. I just keep telling her no, and I know I will have to do that the rest of my life. But of course that's also part of her personality, whether it's gluten or an article of clothing I try on that I hate and she loves, or job/career suggestions, you name it, if she thinks it will be good for me, she'll take jabs at it until I give in.

I suppose I should be thankful that I don't find it hard to say to eating the gluten though. It's not usually that I'm worried about hurting her feelings and I'm not in regards to gluten, but rather that I know 100% that her opinion in regards to what I can eat isn't valid. 

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#22 Kaukaukka

Kaukaukka

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

I had it for so long before being diagnosed.  I was a mess growing up and untill I finally found out was was the issue. My Dad does not take it serious at all (Even though its HIS side of the family it comes from) mom still makes me feel bad for being so "bad" all those years.  If I eat there or go out, they forget. And then I feel like crap because I am sitting and not eating.  Dealing with people and their "nit getting it" is the hard part for me.  I hate the "Oh so you cant eat bread? " Oh, if that was all it was. *sigh* LOL

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. :D

#23 Serenity1366

Serenity1366

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

It poses the question, does it not?..if a condition that cannot be seen is dismissed as a person being a hypochondriac, what of heart disease, Crohn's disease, Arthritis and Asthma?  :unsure:

I think if/when I encounter a negative reaction I do not think that I would waste my time on getting upset and stressed, at the end of the day it is their problem; that they have to deal with.  We all have enough issues each day with fighting the ‘Gluten Dragon’.  I feel the more you try to explain or make them understand, the more they will dig their heels in and not let it drop.

I am lucky at the moment as it is early days for me. I have not encountered this heartache. I have only told my Mum who said she knew I had a problem with wheat and milk, and is surprised I have eaten/drunk it for so many years and suffered.  But when I visit her, she will totally forget :rolleyes:  lol.  My work colleagues are great.  They wave biscuits and sandwiches under my nose, but we laugh and I call them bad names, :P  lol.  We have a laugh over it, but bless them they never slip up and put normal milk in my tea :wub: . My 14 year old son totally gets it, and made some pretty good observations and ideas.

My heart goes out to you all, but you have this forum to run back to for a quick hug and support.  :)

Serenity1366

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: