4 replies to this topic

#1 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

I've recently been prescribed caramellose sodium drops for dry eye syndrome due to my thyroid disease and have noticed my stomach hurting increasingly more each day, in the way it does when I've been contaminated with gluten. Has anyone else had this problem?

The leaflet included with the drops doesn't mention any reaction with the stomach but when I looked at the chemical compound on line, it mentioned it was non toxic, and hypoallergenic (unless there is a wheat intolerance) I contacted the pharmacy and they rang the drug company, and they said they have never had any reaction in this way recorded and more or less thought it must be something else. I stopped using the drops last night as a precaution and am still having symptoms (I've been taking them for 10 days). Any suggestions? Could I be barking up the wrong tree? I've checked everything I've eaten and have no other clues other than the eye drops.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

It really said " unless their is a wheat intolerance"? I can't imagine how an eye drop would have irritating things like wheat in it.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

It really said " unless their is a wheat intolerance"? I can't imagine how an eye drop would have irritating things like wheat in it.

Yes it did.  If you think about it, it makes sense.  When you put eye drops in, they drain down through the nose, and things which drain through the nose end up in the stomach.  That's why some people of here are worried about inhaling flour, wheat etc.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've recently been prescribed caramellose sodium drops for dry eye syndrome due to my thyroid disease and have noticed my stomach hurting increasingly more each day, in the way it does when I've been contaminated with gluten. Has anyone else had this problem?

The leaflet included with the drops doesn't mention any reaction with the stomach but when I looked at the chemical compound on line, it mentioned it was non toxic, and hypoallergenic (unless there is a wheat intolerance) I contacted the pharmacy and they rang the drug company, and they said they have never had any reaction in this way recorded and more or less thought it must be something else. I stopped using the drops last night as a precaution and am still having symptoms (I've been taking them for 10 days). Any suggestions? Could I be barking up the wrong tree? I've checked everything I've eaten and have no other clues other than the eye drops.

Here are some links that will be useful to you:  http://www.nhs.uk/me...rmellose sodiumpreparationCarmellose%201%%20eye%20drops%200.4ml%20unit%20dose

http://en.wikipedia....ethyl_cellulose

I am in no way a fan of Wiki but in researching this medicine, I found something interesting.  Look under "Uses" on the second link and right there, in the first paragraph, there it is.....a reference to wheat intolerance.  I am still trying to figure that one out myself. 

I have Sjogren's Syndrome and use Restasis eye drops for dry eye, which is the leading Rx here in the States for dry eye.  I see you are in the UK?

You may want to be tested for Sjogren's, if your eyes are that bad that you are being given drops to use for it.  It is a blood test.  The Restasis works very well.  I had never heard of the one you mentioned but I wouldn't if you are in a different country.  The Restasis is safe for Celiacs and yes, you are 100% correct in that you have to screen eyedrops cause they do go down the throat after application.

This is a first for eye drops for me....never heard of one that is not safe for Celiacs and I would love to know the reason why.  Back to research..... :)

#5 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Many thanks for replying.  I had already tried the sites you had spotted and drew a blank with the NHS one, mainly because it appears that the information is sourced from a third party and not NHS themselves. I had also seen the information you had spotted on wikipedia, like you, I am always sceptical about the information on there as you don't necessarily know who has provided the information.  Having said that, because it mentioned wheat sensitivity, it made me question whether I was right in my assumption. 

I will look into everything else you said, as it pays to be open minded in these things. Thanks :)

Here are some links that will be useful to you:  http://www.nhs.uk/me...rmellose sodiumpreparationCarmellose%201%%20eye%20drops%200.4ml%20unit%20dose

http://en.wikipedia....ethyl_cellulose

I am in no way a fan of Wiki but in researching this medicine, I found something interesting.  Look under "Uses" on the second link and right there, in the first paragraph, there it is.....a reference to wheat intolerance.  I am still trying to figure that one out myself. 

I have Sjogren's Syndrome and use Restasis eye drops for dry eye, which is the leading Rx here in the States for dry eye.  I see you are in the UK?

You may want to be tested for Sjogren's, if your eyes are that bad that you are being given drops to use for it.  It is a blood test.  The Restasis works very well.  I had never heard of the one you mentioned but I wouldn't if you are in a different country.  The Restasis is safe for Celiacs and yes, you are 100% correct in that you have to screen eyedrops cause they do go down the throat after application.

This is a first for eye drops for me....never heard of one that is not safe for Celiacs and I would love to know the reason why.  Back to research..... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: