3 replies to this topic

#1 plittrell

plittrell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

So being a new celiac, I wasn't sure where to post this question.  I am still  making a number of mistakes with the hidden gluten in things.  But I printed a list of trader joes gluten free items and just shopped off a that and didn't read lables. I bought 2 items that when I got them home and had eaten some of one saw that it was made on shared equipment.I'm just 4 months into my gluten free-ness but I guess even when it is on a gluten free list I still have to read every label... Wow this is tough.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Many products which are, in fact, gluten-free are made in facilities where gluten is present, sometimes even on shared equipment. Unless you are extremely sensitive, it is usually not a problem. Equipment is cleaned thoroughly between batches.

Having said that, there are suggestions here from time to time that TJ isn't as good at preventing cross-contamination as most are. I have no personal experience as TJ does not operate where I live.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 MJ_S

MJ_S

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

My nutritionist who is expert in Celiac recommended that I avoid TJ's products. There have just been too many issues with cc. I only buy olive oil, salt, paper products, and dish soap from them.  

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

There are quite a few threads on here about TJ's.

I buy dairy products, veggies,fruit, etc. there. I do stick to processed products at TJ's that are not made in shared lines when it comes to nut products, dry fruit and desserts. I don't buy their chips, either.

Part of it is the ability to choose (since they disclose factory info quite often). The other part is in the early days of gluten-free I had a major DH reaction to some chocolate covered "gluten-free" nuts from TJ's. while that reaction could or could not have been just from those nuts the thought of a rash like that enables me to keep a wide berth.

I don't have a problem with their gluten-free cookies, btw (other than the fact they make my butt larger) . Others here have.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: