31 replies to this topic

#1 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

This is a friend I have known since we were little. Are mothers are very good friends. We haven't seen each other in years but keep in touch on FB. This girl has always been very conscious of calories and, as a result, was and still is, very thin. She also like to be trendy.

This is her post:

"Day one of my 1,000 calorie no gluten, less sugar diet. Side affects....grumpy--check, hungry--check, upping my caffeine addiction--check, ready to eat my own arm--check!"

This is my response:

"As a person with Celiac Disease, I wish people wouldn't play at being gluten free. Taking croutons off salads and eating one bite of cake at a restaurant, makes it hard to get them to take those of us with a medical need seriously."

Think she will respond? Think her mom will call mine?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thank you, Karen. If they call, hopefully they will understand when you explain it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

THIS is the reason, I stress my celiac disease as "I get really, really get sick if I eat any wheat/flour or wheat/flour products" when ordering at a restaurant.

Yeah, speak your thought Karen. :) Will you let us know if she replies?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Good job K...will be interesting to hear the response .... maybe she will simply delete her post ... minimally she will likely consider more carefully before posting about her fad diet attempts - well hopefully.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Good luck. 

I have the same argument with people claiming intolerances are the same as allergies.  Sure, lactose makes your tummy hurt. It can kill my child. So not the same thing.

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I bet she ignores my response. And all the people that were making responses to her will probably stop cause I spoiled their fun.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Spoil sport.  Check!

You "done good", kid--- telling it like it is.   G F Dabblers do us no favors. 

Happy skiing. ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I could understand if, say, someone with diabetes wished to try it to see if it would help them control their blood sugar.

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

So what is necessary and sufficient evidence for her to try a gluten free diet?  The implication, karen, of your reply is that, unless she is diagnosed as celiac, she shouldn't be trying gluten free, because it belittles the diet for other people who truly need it.  I know that is not what you really mean, of course, but that's what it sounds like.

I'm not sure what would have been better, but I can't quite get into the camp of people who think it's a good response either.  I know you meant well.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

So what is necessary and sufficient evidence for her to try a gluten free diet? The implication, karen, of your reply is that, unless she is diagnosed as celiac, she shouldn't be trying gluten free, because it belittles the diet for other people who truly need it. I know that is not what you really mean, of course, but that's what it sounds like. I'm not sure what would have been better, but I can't quite get into the camp of people who think it's a good response either. I know you meant well.

I guess I should have put the other responses before mine. One was even from her hub. All laughing about how miserable she will be. She is just doing this to loose weight as she is 5'6 and now weighs 115 lbs. It would have been better if she had just said she was giving up sugary foods and bread and pasta for awhile.

From her post, it seems quite clear to me that she is just doing to loose weight.

dancing-turkey.gif

#11 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I guess I should have put the other responses before mine. One was even from her hub. All laughing about how miserable she will be. She is just doing this to loose weight as she is 5'6 and now weighs 115 lbs. It would have been better if she had just said she was giving up sugary foods and bread and pasta for awhile.

From her post, it seems quite clear to me that she is just doing to loose weight.

Ummm... that seems to be a bit underweight for her height... :blink:

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I totally believe you, and even imagined it that way.  You've known her for quite a while, so I'm certain that you read it right.  But all the other people reading your response may or may not take it the same way.

I keep trying to figure out what I would have put in place of what you wrote... probably something about how much everyone loves my gluten free breads and cookies and muffins :P

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

I actually think it's great when other people try the gluten-free diet.  There are so many of us undiagnosed because of medical incompetence it seems likely at least a few real celiacs will discover their issue that way.  Heck, we know there are people walking around with silent celiac too, who might never be diagnosed if they don't get the idea in their head to be trendy sometime and try the diet.  Regardless of their motivation when trying the gluten-free diet, if they get a benefit from it I think that's great.  I would like to see many more people try a gluten-free diet really.  Maybe 30 million, or what the hey, maybe 300 million or more.  Why the heck not?

It seems to me some times celiacs think they own the gluten-free diet.  When it could be that the gluten-free diet would help many people with diabetes, Crohns, mental conditions, or other diseases.  Heck, we could have a national no gluten month if you ask me.  It would probably save us a fortune in medical costs.  Hmm, the trendy people probably wouldn't like that tho.  It would make them average Joe's instead, if everyone had to do gluten-free for a month.

Hmm, I can almost hear the screaming now, oh no, gluten-free month is coming again!  :(

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

No, celiacs don't own the gluten free diet. At the same time, people trying to lose weight and claim to be gluten free are usually no such thing. They have given up bread, pasta and cereals, maybe a few other things that are super starchy and all the calories that go with those, and that accounts for the weight loss as long as they don't replace it with anything. It isn't some magical weight loss bullet, and picking croutons off a salad in a restaraunt while claiming to be gluten free to the staff only screws over the rest of us. I do not even try to hide how much I despise these practices by these people and the devastating effects it has on those of us that medically require a gluten free diet. Wanna dabble that way? Fine, but it is called cutting carbs, not gluten free.

For those who truly go gluten free for an attempt at helping any of a host of medical issues. I absolutely applaud them because it isn't an easy road, not to be sick and not to be truly gluten free. I only hope each of them finds the help they were looking for.

As for your friend, if she is on a 1000 calorie diet at her weight and height and trying to lose weight, I would suspect she has some sort of eating or self image disorder. That isn't healthy at all.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm 5'7" and 125lbs. I'm on the 'shove as much in my face as often as humanly possible

within my irritating restrictions' diet. I say your friend is nuts.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: