8 replies to this topic

#1 Tiredsean

Tiredsean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Had anyone on this site have both fibro & celiac and once going gluten free got rid of their fibro???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I was diagnosed with fibro a couple of years before my surprise celiac diagnosis. After trying both Cymbalta and Lyrica and having neither help, I gave up on the idea of ever feeling better. Much to my surprise, the longer I have been gluten free (just over a year now) the less all over pain I have. It hasn't gone away, and because I also have CRPS it can be difficult for me at times to gauge pain in the rest of my body, but I can say that outside of the times that I am glutened it is rare for the pain in the rest of my body to bother me. It isn't that I don't have any, it is that it is so small compared to how it used to be that it is hardly worth noticing.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 Tiredsean

Tiredsean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Mmmmmm very interesting,your post has made me very happy indeed :) thank you so much!! Question if I may ask, what's that other item you suffer from?

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia seven months after my Celiac Dx.  I had horrid reaction to the first fibro drug I was given - Savella -- not surprising as I have been given a host of meds over the years for my autoimmune symptoms -- all failed miserably.  I did have some success by supplementing targeted amino acids - sadly this was short-lived and the relapse was the worst flare of my entire life.

I am now doing very well on my VERY limited diet -- last year this time I was the "human amoeba" and needed hubby to carry me to the bathroom.  Today I am vertical and slowly regaining a very fulfilling life.  I hope meds help you more than they did me or my daughter -- but if they fail -- take a look at other foods - may help and can't hurt.

ps...my daughter was dx'd with fibro at 13...she turns 30 soon and while still battles many AI issues daily - her fibro has improved gluten-free and returned when one of her lupus meds changed and had hidden gluten in it.

Edited by GottaSki, 19 March 2013 - 02:26 PM.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I was the opposite - I had been gluten (and dairy) free for years before dealing with fibromyalgia.  Based on what's happened leading up to it and through it and since then, though, I strongly suspect that it was - amongst other things that simply made me prone to it - an incredibly stressful job that lead to the problem.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Tiredsean

Tiredsean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm not officially fibro yet ,my doc isn't convinced yet.At 37 male and fit prior to my injury he isn't leaning towards fibro just yet.Given my symptoms are some tender points the main problem is muscle rigid ness for example when I flex and let go my muscles are like molasses going back to their original position.No real pain unless I over do it .Plus I have a constant post nasal drip and swollen sinuses.When I get a system wide flare my sinuses hurt the most,I get really itchy ears,pain in muscles and anxious .Not really fatigued or anything ,and all my symptons take days to get over.I equated this to everytime I get glutened by accident or my own stupidity.While I'm off gluten I still get aches and pains so my doctor is testing me Thursday for Lyme disease,systemic candida ,histamine intolerence and I'm gonna ask for adrenal saliva test depending on $$$ .I believe that my problem is in my gut and gluten had a lot to do with it.I took gluten out and I don't need tums or Zantac anymore ,now I need to know what else is causing my sinus/muscle issues.

#7 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome

Mmmmmm very interesting,your post has made me very happy indeed :) thank you so much!! Question if I may ask, what's that other item you suffer from?

#8 Psyche

Psyche

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

I was dx with Fibro in 1999 while in the Navy after an injury. Though I have a new Celiac dx, I have done low carb and gluten free many times in the past few years and each time the Fibro did get a lot better.

Something witty this way comes...

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I was slow in getting back, but it got nailed for me. Yes, it is CRPS. Sort of makes fibro pale in comparison for me, but I still wouldn't wish fibro on anyone. Good luck with the gluten free helping you.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: