5 replies to this topic

#1 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've had multiple mixed IBS and gluten-like reactions from Planter's honey roasted peanuts. I bought Wegman's brand honey roasted peanuts (labeled gluten free) to just make sure it was the brand and not peanuts in general and I'm totally fine (eating them now actually).

The only difference in ingredients is that Planter's uses fructose and corn starch whereas Wegman's uses potato starch and no fructose. I do have an IBS reaction (but not glutened) to Wegman's corn pasta but not corn tortillas or chips. 

Has anyone else had an issue with Planter's?

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I eat Planters honey roasted peanuts. Sounds like you might have an issue with processed corn like corn starch?

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#3 pianoland

pianoland

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I've also reacted to Wegman's corn pasta (not consistently though) but don't react to corn tortillas/chips. I tried googling to see if anyone had issues with their corn pasta but didn't find any good info.

As for the peanuts, it could be cross contamination.

Celebrating being gluten free since July 22, 2011.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I agree with Karen.

I had issue with planter's dry-roasted and for a time was very confused as they should have been "safe".  Some time later I had issue with planter's plain salted peanuts...what the heck?

Turns out I was intolerant of peanuts - not allergic.  When we remove gluten - sometime other temporary intolerances rear their ugly heads.

Planters/Kraft is one of the safest companies around as far as gluten disclosure.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 whatsit

whatsit

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I've had multiple mixed IBS and gluten-like reactions from Planter's honey roasted peanuts. I bought Wegman's brand honey roasted peanuts (labeled gluten free) to just make sure it was the brand and not peanuts in general and I'm totally fine (eating them now actually).

The only difference in ingredients is that Planter's uses fructose and corn starch whereas Wegman's uses potato starch and no fructose. I do have an IBS reaction (but not glutened) to Wegman's corn pasta but not corn tortillas or chips. 

Has anyone else had an issue with Planter's?

I had a reaction this very afternoon to Planters honey-roasted peanuts (a small pack), but I have been eating Jiff Natural peanut butter wil no ill effects. 20 minutes after eating the peanuts I felt as though I'd been sedated; thirty minutes later my teeth were hurting and my eyes starting watering.

#6 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

I have a peanut intolerance to begin with, but I can tell you that I've had the honey roasted cashews with no issues (so far at least.)

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: