16 replies to this topic

#16 Lori2

Lori2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely mention gastroparesis and cystic fibrosis when I visit the doctor next, but I'm not sure the symptoms fit me quite right after reading about them. I'm thinking now that a lot of my problems are actually coming from the gastritis which is refusing to heal. I've been on Prilosec for 5 weeks now. For some reason, the gastritis hates foods high in fat and really wants me to eat things full of carbs, but the only things I seem to be able to eat are higher in fat. My stomach has not tolerated grains or potatoes since I did the gluten challenge in December and the only fruit it will tolerate is bananas. I have been eating 3-4 bananas a day and squash on occasion to try to get some carbs in but it's just not cutting it. I am literally eating only bananas, lean chicken and turkey, cooked spinach, small servings of avocado, occasional squash, carrots and a handful of nuts when I feel like I'm dying. My stomach is generally at least manageable when I eat only this, but as soon as I try to add in anything else the pain flares back up. I have lost 10 pounds and I'm constantly exhausted, and I'm feeling very depressed and lost. I don't know what to do, my gastro brushed me off last time I went in and my GP has told me to rely on the Prilosec for now. I can't get in to see another gastro without a referral from my GP, who will just tell me to wait it out. My mom is all caught up in the idea of doing the celiac gene and food reactivity tests from Enterolab, but I'm not sure what that will even help at this point because I'm already avoiding gluten like the plague and I'm not sure what else I could possibly be reacting to with such a small selection of food, if I'm reacting to anything at all. I just wish I knew why the gastritis isn't healing.

I personally found the Enterolab testing very helpful.  Most of my problems improved after going gluten free, however I was still left with some diarrhea problems.  I went back to a very simple basic diet based on rice, grass-fed beef and bananas, but the problem persisted.  I finally did Enterolab testing which showed an intolerance to rice--one of my go-to foods.  The last day I ate rice, March 11, 2011, I used four Immodium.  I have had a total of four Immodium in the two years since.  I just wish they could test for more things than they do.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely mention gastroparesis and cystic fibrosis when I visit the doctor next, but I'm not sure the symptoms fit me quite right after reading about them. I'm thinking now that a lot of my problems are actually coming from the gastritis which is refusing to heal. I've been on Prilosec for 5 weeks now. For some reason, the gastritis hates foods high in fat and really wants me to eat things full of carbs, but the only things I seem to be able to eat are higher in fat. My stomach has not tolerated grains or potatoes since I did the gluten challenge in December and the only fruit it will tolerate is bananas. I have been eating 3-4 bananas a day and squash on occasion to try to get some carbs in but it's just not cutting it. I am literally eating only bananas, lean chicken and turkey, cooked spinach, small servings of avocado, occasional squash, carrots and a handful of nuts when I feel like I'm dying. My stomach is generally at least manageable when I eat only this, but as soon as I try to add in anything else the pain flares back up. I have lost 10 pounds and I'm constantly exhausted, and I'm feeling very depressed and lost. I don't know what to do, my gastro brushed me off last time I went in and my GP has told me to rely on the Prilosec for now. I can't get in to see another gastro without a referral from my GP, who will just tell me to wait it out. My mom is all caught up in the idea of doing the celiac gene and food reactivity tests from Enterolab, but I'm not sure what that will even help at this point because I'm already avoiding gluten like the plague and I'm not sure what else I could possibly be reacting to with such a small selection of food, if I'm reacting to anything at all. I just wish I knew why the gastritis isn't healing.

Ask for a SIBO test.   It will check to see if you have a bacterial overgrowth.  Sibo can make you react badly to a lot of foods.  A HIDA scan might be a good idea too?  It will test to see if your gallbladder releases the bile and enzymes you need to digest your food.  If you are taking an acid blocker it can stall the release of bile too, which can cause or aggrivate some of your symptoms.

Are you keeping a food log?  By listing what you eat including which seasonings you may be able to figure out other food intolerances.  Some seasonings like seasoning salt contain paprika which can irritate gastritis.  They may contain cornstarch too, which can bother some people.  Avoid MSG.  Write down any symptoms you get. Be mindful of how the main allergens effect you.  You could have intolerances, which aren't full blown allergies.. but enough to give you reactions.   By keeping a record you will have a way of seeing if there is a pattern or connection between various symptoms and foods, which can be tricky to figure out since many food reactions are delayed.

Try eating a few blueberries.  They help heal gastritis.  You could cook an apple with some blueberries and have applesauce, try a bit of sweet potato because they are very nutrient dense.  Please stay away from artifial sweeteners too. 

Take a good probiotic.  It helps digest your food and helps your body use the nutrients in the foods you eat.  It helps balance out the "flora" in your gut too.  Don't expect drastic changes from the probiotic.  They tend to work slowly.

Make bone broth to eat.  By slowly simmering a chicken in water with a small amount of vinegar(1 teaspoon) the gelatin from the bones and cartilege will come out, but doesn't taste sour.  This helps heal the gut.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: undereating, undiagnosable, food hurts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: