5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi - I'm new to gluten-free (having been diagnosed with Celiac about three weeks ago).  

Even before my diagnosis, I loved many of the meals from Macro Vegetarian.  While several are labeled Vegan or Wheat Free, none are specifically labeled gluten-free.  I have tried to find a contact number for them, but can't.  The ingredients all seem safe, but I'm worried since they don't label them gluten-free despite other labels.

I tried one I think is new the other day and it was beyond delicious:  Sprouted Brown Rice and Sprouted Quinoa.  I felt fine afterward, but don't want to take unnecessary risks.  I also love the sprouted brown rice risotto. 

Does anyone know if these are safe or how to reach the company?

Thanks!

Nikki

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Welcome Nikki!

I couldn't find contact info on their website...but here is a company that sells Macro Vegetarian products.  I'd email them to find out.

http://starsgourmet...._vegetarian.htm

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thanks - is it generally ok to trust the stores?  I'm still trying to get the hang of who to trust.  But I will give them a call.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

I was suggesting you have the store find out from the manufacturer or ask them to give you a contact number or email for the manufacturer. 

Sometimes the store already knows when a product is gluten-free. 

I also prefer email to telephone as then I have a written response and it makes it easier to share the info with others on this forum.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

If you poke around enough, you'll see that their Kosher certificate has their address on it. It doesn't have a zip, but if you plug the address into the USPS website it will provide a zip for you.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

These are great ideas.  Thank you.