Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Kissing...does This Happen To Anyone Else?

19 posts in this topic

It's so annoying! When I go on a date and/or kiss someone who has ingested gluten (even if they drank beer), my lips end up getting horribly chapped, dry, crack, peel and get canker soars for weeks! Does this happen to anyone else, or am I alone on this one? 

Ads by Google:

Did they brush their teeth before they kissed you? CC issue there :(

No, and I figured so, but you don't really carry a toothbrush on a date and sometimes the moment is just there and you end up kissing. It would be rather odd if I told everyone I went on a date with/hook up with to make sure they bring a toothbrush and tooth paste to the date just in case they get lucky enough to kiss me, haha. :P

rofl :) ..yep it would kinda kill the moment! im in same predicament but look on the bright side, at least we have a good excuse for asking them to keep good dental hygeine without them feeling we were nit-picking at em personally !!

That could explain the years of horribly chapped lips!! But I've got my boyfriend trained that if he doesn't wash up after eating gluten, no good bye kisses. It's kinda sad sometimes, but getting sick from a snog is worse!

I'm getting better at enforcing my no kissing after gluten rule. I can't say I've ever gotten glutened, but it's worth being careful. Of course, he makes just as much of a fuss if I've been eating meat, so it evens out. Stick to the cheek until teeths have been brushed.

If your (potential) significant other can't handle it, then it's probably not going to work out.

(My lips are also ridiculously dry lately, but I put that up more to it being winter and dry in general)

hmmm that only happened once to me with my boyfriend! So Just avoid French kissing lol.

hmmm that only happened once to me with my boyfriend! So Just avoid French kissing lol.

Not enough, i'm afraid :(

I've always been really uptight about no gluten kissyface. I'm just now

starting a new relationship, and made it very clear upfront about the need

for toothbrushing (and beard washing :D ) and he was fine with it. The

gluten thing has definitely kept me from being as free with my kisses as I

might like to be, but I just am not willing to risk it. Nothing with gluten on

it goes in or near my mouth, and that includes someone else's mouth. If

they're all gluteny they can kiss my neck, I like that fine! ;)

I wish I had the will power to say no, lol. When I had a BF I made sure he brushed before we kissed, but being single and just being in the moment, I just don't have to will power of telling the guy "no" when I really just want to maul them. Haha!

I suppose you could always go and brush yourself, after. Although, to be

honest, I did just fine 'mauling' my new guy without having to kiss him...

on the mouth. :D

I know it isn't brush brushing, but you could carry those Wisp thingers (if they are gluten free) and offer him one after a meal out and you both go use one. I may seem a little presumptive but at some point the gluten thing will come up and and can just be very matter of fact, no big deal about it and you're prepped and ready to go make kissy faces.

Hmmm.  Maybe hang out in wine bars or go to wine tastings ? 

My boyfriend avoids eating gluten at least 8 hours before we see each other because I've been glutened before due to that:-(

No you are not alone. My hsuband of 33 years mostly can only kiss me on the cheek if he has eaten gluten. Which he does everyday.

Sadly even if your partner brushes teeth and uses mouthwash a night of romance will make you sick.

It is very annoying!!

It's so annoying! When I go on a date and/or kiss someone who has ingested gluten (even if they drank beer), my lips end up getting horribly chapped, dry, crack, peel and get canker soars for weeks! Does this happen to anyone else, or am I alone on this one? 

.Sadly even if your partner brushes teeth and uses mouthwash a night of romance will make you sick.It is very annoying!!

My hub brushes and flosses and rinses and he doesn't make me sick! Unless being with your husband just makes you sick even without gluten?

Drives me up a freakin wall, but I have had to make sure my husband's toothpaste is gluten free because he refuses to switch to my Earthpaste.  <_< But if your partner is brushing with a toothpaste or using a mouthwash with gluten in it, then all they are doing is brushing and swishing around the gluten with more gluten! 

Drives me up a freakin wall, but I have had to make sure my husband's toothpaste is gluten free because he refuses to switch to my Earthpaste.  <_< But if your partner is brushing with a toothpaste or using a mouthwash with gluten in it, then all they are doing is brushing and swishing around the gluten with more gluten! 

In the US, what toothpaste or mouthwash has gluten?

In the US, what toothpaste or mouthwash has gluten?

None that I know of, but I check anyway and recheck things once a year just to keep on top. I'd hate to start getting sick and not know why and it was from stupid random thing like that. I've said it before, but I am the most paranoid person I know. :ph34r: I'd still just feel better if he used what I use, it is chemical free.