Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Is Cake Shortening Gluten Free?

7 posts in this topic

Yesterday I bought a decorated birthday cake. One of the letters was wrong, so I carefully scraped it off and without thinking, stupidly licked the knife.  Sure enough, this morning I have a full-on gluten reaction, which is very severe for me and usually means 5 days in bed.  Oh joy.  

I called the baker out of curiosity, as I'm only 18 months into being Gluten Free and still learning (and still hitting myself about the head occasionally, when I do dumb stuff like this).

The icing contained two things that I think may have been the problem -- vanilla flavoring (not extract) and cake shortening.  I know some vanilla flavorings are made with barley malt, yep, did that one already a couple of times about a year ago.

But I have no idea about Cake Shortening, what is it, and does it contain gluten?

Thanks for reading my post  :D

Ads by Google:

Neither are an issue, I believe, CC how ever is a major issue, especially in a bakery.

Shortening is probably fat (think crisco), with some sugar (kinda like a butter frosting), and flavoring

What is CC?

Vanilla extract is gluten free.  Vanilla flavoring sometimes contains barley malt, or malt.  It's always labeled, but I didn't think to look and got glutened by this a couple of times in the early days.

Oh... Cross Contamination... of course :-)

Oh... Cross Contamination... of course :-)

Highly likely that is the culprit. :)

I would say that the issue is almost certainly because it was from a bakery laced with flour or just because it was from a decorating bag and tip that were frequently touching cakes made of gluten. The icing itself was probably made of gluten free ingredients, but I can't imagine any circumstances under which I would eat anything from a regular bakery.

I forget about the Cross Contamination issue frequently.  I think my brain tries to hang on to the way things were, even though I lived with severe Gluten reactions for years without knowing it.

I would never eat anything from a regular bakery either... but INSTINCT took over... and I licked that knife!   Mmmmm.... and stupid :-)