6 replies to this topic

#1 WhoKnew

WhoKnew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yesterday I bought a decorated birthday cake. One of the letters was wrong, so I carefully scraped it off and without thinking, stupidly licked the knife.  Sure enough, this morning I have a full-on gluten reaction, which is very severe for me and usually means 5 days in bed.  Oh joy.  

I called the baker out of curiosity, as I'm only 18 months into being Gluten Free and still learning (and still hitting myself about the head occasionally, when I do dumb stuff like this).

The icing contained two things that I think may have been the problem -- vanilla flavoring (not extract) and cake shortening.  I know some vanilla flavorings are made with barley malt, yep, did that one already a couple of times about a year ago.

But I have no idea about Cake Shortening, what is it, and does it contain gluten?

Thanks for reading my post  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Neither are an issue, I believe, CC how ever is a major issue, especially in a bakery.

Shortening is probably fat (think crisco), with some sugar (kinda like a butter frosting), and flavoring

#3 WhoKnew

WhoKnew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

What is CC?

Vanilla extract is gluten free.  Vanilla flavoring sometimes contains barley malt, or malt.  It's always labeled, but I didn't think to look and got glutened by this a couple of times in the early days.

#4 WhoKnew

WhoKnew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Oh... Cross Contamination... of course :-)

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Oh... Cross Contamination... of course :-)

Highly likely that is the culprit. :)

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I would say that the issue is almost certainly because it was from a bakery laced with flour or just because it was from a decorating bag and tip that were frequently touching cakes made of gluten. The icing itself was probably made of gluten free ingredients, but I can't imagine any circumstances under which I would eat anything from a regular bakery.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 WhoKnew

WhoKnew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I forget about the Cross Contamination issue frequently.  I think my brain tries to hang on to the way things were, even though I lived with severe Gluten reactions for years without knowing it.

I would never eat anything from a regular bakery either... but INSTINCT took over... and I licked that knife!   Mmmmm.... and stupid :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: