1 reply to this topic

#1 HarlequinMaze

HarlequinMaze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well its day 5 of my gluten free diet and i feel better! though i have had a random craving for pitta bread, bagels and waffles lol.  I didnt think i would feel better so quickly. I no longer have horrible stomach cramps, contipation, headaches, feeling tried all the time, etc. So could this mean i have a gluten intorlance? Im going to give it a few more weeks before i introduce gluten again.

My blood test results came back negative for coeliacs disease so my doctor assumed i had IBS and should try a elmination diet and antispasmotics (Which i havent taken yet). But it would be amazing to find out why ive felt this way since i was a child.

Has anyone had a similar experince?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Two of my three children- all who tested negative to celiac disease - feel much better when they are off gluten; better *ahem* bathroom experiences, fewer headaches and stomach aches and their behaviour and concentration improved.  They either have celiac and had a false negative or they are non-celiac gluten intolerant (NCGI).  It doesn't make much difference to me because the treatment is the same: gluten-free for life.

If you continue to feel better on the gluten-free diet, I would question the need to reintroduce "in a few more weeks" as you said.  I do not always have an immediate reaction to gluten (like I thought I did) so I might miss re0emerging symptoms if I was to start eating gluten again.  Instead, you might want to make a food diary. Record how you felt before being gluten-free, include symptoms, when they appeared, how long they lasted and how severe they were. Also record how you feel gluten-free and note when a symptom disapears or if there are unexpected improvements. If you still feel better is a few weeks, why try gluten again?  Just my own opinion though.  :)

I hope you continue to feel well.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: