Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Xanthan Gum

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Very new at this, just 2 weeks gluten free and am trying to take in as much information as I can... Obviously I've been reading ingredient labels like crazy.  There seems to be some mixed thoughts on Xanthan Gum and whether it contains gluten.  Is this safe to eat (i.e. if it is an ingredient in salad dressing).  I don't have Celiac, if that matters... I'm just trying to see if some of my health symptoms are due to gluten sensitivity.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Xanthan gum is gluten-free, but a few people react to it.

It is common in gluten-free baked goods, but not so common in wheat products where gluten provides the elastic texture.

This leads to a false correlation. If you eat xanthan gum, you likely have celiac disease, or are at least gluten intolerant. So it is in these people that the issue with xanthan gum becomes visible. But this does not mean that xanthan gum is unsafe for everybody with celiac disease.

The only way for you to know is to try it, and if you think you have a problem, carefully try an elimination diet.

Xanthan gum is gluten-free, but a few people react to it.

It is common in gluten-free baked goods, but not so common in wheat products where gluten provides the elastic texture.

This leads to a false correlation. If you eat xanthan gum, you likely have celiac disease, or are at least gluten intolerant. So it is in these people that the issue with xanthan gum becomes visible. But this does not mean that xanthan gum is unsafe for everybody with celiac disease.

The only way for you to know is to try it, and if you think you have a problem, carefully try an elimination diet.

xanthan gum is sometimes found in pasta sauces. Ragu's Classic Alfredo has it in it. So it is sometimes used in other foods, but its rather rare to find it in them :)