31 replies to this topic

#1 ruuning like a zombie

ruuning like a zombie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

So the other night I( a ncgi) and my friend(celiac) decide to eat fried chicken. We cooked it the usual manner. The flour was rice flour and sorgum flour and we thought we were safe. Mere moments after eating we both start feeling horrible. We narrowed it down and discovered that the corn nor the rice were the suspects. We took a look at purdue's frozen chicken and made a shocking discovery. The chicken had been frozen in a broth that contained barley. We wee dumbfounded. So please be careful. The bag did not continue any allergy info and sadly there customer service was non-existing.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

I better check my chicken. Normally we buy all of our meat from our local butcher but recently I bought a big bag of Purdue frozen chicken breasts from Costco to give them a try. Thank you for the heads up!

#3 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Okay, I just checked mine and it just has water and kosher salt!!

#4 MJ_S

MJ_S

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

There are so many reasons not buy Purdue chickens. Having gluten is the least of them.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

So the other night I( a ncgi) and my friend(celiac) decide to eat fried chicken. We cooked it the usual manner. The flour was rice flour and sorgum flour and we thought we were safe. Mere moments after eating we both start feeling horrible. We narrowed it down and discovered that the corn nor the rice were the suspects. We took a look at purdue's frozen chicken and made a shocking discovery. The chicken had been frozen in a broth that contained barley. We wee dumbfounded. So please be careful. The bag did not continue any allergy info and sadly there customer service was non-existing.

Was that listed on the bag?  If not, how do you know?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

MJ-S

I'm curious---what's wrong with Perdue chickens? :mellow:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Did it actually list barley on the ingredient label? I've never seen that on a Perdue (or any) fresh chicken.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

Did it actually list barley on the ingredient label? I've never seen that on a Perdue (or any) fresh chicken.

I couldn't find anything on their website either.

Generally from what i've seen, chickens are often injected with a salt solution (water and salt).

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Perdue fresh chicken is all gluten free, it says so right on their website. Their chicken isn't the cheapest chicken at Costco so I've never even looked at a bag but putting barley in frozen chicken would be a complete waste of money when plain salt water is so much cheaper. If you could provide more info that would be super helpful, like if this information was printed on the bag of chicken or how you got it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have never seen chicken frozen IN a broth that you would want to dry off and fry. Nor have I seen barley injected into chicken. Some chicken is injected with salt water. You can tell by looking at the sodium content. Plain chicken has about 40 units of sodium naturally. Please provide some evidence of this fact.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#11 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

IrishHeart,

Where do I start? Deceptive marketing practices, grossly inhumane conditions, environmental pollution, restrictive contracts on local growers, feed that includes arsenic, antibiotics, and god knows what else, and so forth. 

These issues are not limited to Perdue (we've been spelling it wrong). These are the same issues that most industrialized meat producers are guilty of. Perdue has just always had a reputation of being the one of the worst offenders.

This is getting slightly off-topic, but I just took a course on US Food Systems and saw this great video on the future of farming with a focus on meat production. If you're interested in this sort of thing here it is (about 30 minutes long): 

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

For those of us with celiac and NCGI our number one concern when buying food has to be gluten and possibly our other intolerances or allergies if we have them. Many of us are on fixed incomes or even food stamps and are far too poor to have things like principles. (This is a common joke in my house, it is meant to be funny.) Don't get me wrong, I grew up on a farm and I'm all about the humane treatment of our food sources. Don't even get me started on how much mistreating our animal food angers me. But frankly, I'm too poor to be picky. If it is gluten free, I'll buy the cheapest one at the store. I'm too poor to have morals about it until I am well enough to have a job. I don't think this is the appropriate place to get into some moral debate about how to be nice to chickens. This is about gluten in chickens. 

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

IrishHeart, Where do I start? Deceptive marketing practices, grossly inhumane conditions, environmental pollution, restrictive contracts on local growers, feed that includes arsenic, antibiotics, and god knows what else, and so forth.  These issues are not limited to Perdue (we've been spelling it wrong). These are the same issues that most industrialized meat producers are guilty of. Perdue has just always had a reputation of being the one of the worst offenders. This is getting slightly off-topic, but I just took a course on US Food Systems and saw this great video on the future of farming with a focus on meat production. If you're interested in this sort of thing here it is (about 30 minutes long): 

That is all fine but it still doesn't explain why the OP is accusing the company of poisoning him and his friend with barley.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hmmm   Troll?

Michigan

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

IrishHeart,

Where do I start? Deceptive marketing practices, grossly inhumane conditions, environmental pollution, restrictive contracts on local growers, feed that includes arsenic, antibiotics, and god knows what else, and so forth. 

These issues are not limited to Perdue (we've been spelling it wrong). These are the same issues that most industrialized meat producers are guilty of. Perdue has just always had a reputation of being the one of the worst offenders.

This is getting slightly off-topic, but I just took a course on US Food Systems and saw this great video on the future of farming with a focus on meat production. If you're interested in this sort of thing here it is (about 30 minutes long): 

Actually, this is more than slightly off topic and inappropriate to the discussion, but, I think Adalaide addressed it sufficiently.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: