Just A Warning About Perdue Chicken

• Please log in to reply

31 replies to this topic

#16 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

The topic is about whether Perdue Farms products contain gluten.

A discussion about their farming practices is not appropriate for this topic, or even this board.

Stick to the original topic.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Actually, this is more than slightly off topic and inappropriate to the discussion, but, I think Adalaide addressed it sufficiently.

You asked her this direct question: 

MJ-S

I'm curious---what's wrong with Perdue chickens? She replied to your question, but also agreed it was getting off topic.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#18 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Rule five was violated:

5) Any claims you make here should be based on legitimate sources, or be expressed as opinion, experience, or inquiry. You should remain on topic and be consistent with the theme of the forum as a whole.

Specifically, You should remain on topic.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#19 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

So the other night I( a ncgi) and my friend(celiac) decide to eat fried chicken. We cooked it the usual manner. The flour was rice flour and sorgum flour and we thought we were safe. Mere moments after eating we both start feeling horrible. We narrowed it down and discovered that the corn nor the rice were the suspects. We took a look at purdue's frozen chicken and made a shocking discovery. The chicken had been frozen in a broth that contained barley. We wee dumbfounded. So please be careful. The bag did not continue any allergy info and sadly there customer service was non-existing.

Are we still awaiting a reply?  Let argue about "stuff" until a reply appears. :blink: Sheesh.........

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

You asked her this direct question: 

MJ-S

I'm curious---what's wrong with Perdue chickens? She replied to your question, but also agreed it was getting off topic.

She said "gluten was the least of our concerns". That begged a question, I felt ---about other food intolerance issues.

This is a celiac forum, yes, but some people have other food intolerances as well.

I had no idea it would go into a discussion about the ethical treatment of animals. I was polite in my replies, and it requires no more discussion, in my opinion.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Perhaps a discussion in the 'everything else' section would be more apropos?

Regarding the subject of industry standards for meat production, that is.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#22 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

So the other night I( a ncgi) and my friend(celiac) decide to eat fried chicken. We cooked it the usual manner. The flour was rice flour and sorgum flour and we thought we were safe. Mere moments after eating we both start feeling horrible. We narrowed it down and discovered that the corn nor the rice were the suspects. We took a look at purdue's frozen chicken and made a shocking discovery. The chicken had been frozen in a broth that contained barley. We wee dumbfounded. So please be careful. The bag did not continue any allergy info and sadly there customer service was non-existing.

Hi RLAZ,

It sounds like you made breading to coat the chicken.  Are you sure any spices you used were gluten-free?  Another possibility is the rice flour itself.  Just because it is rice flour doesn't mean it is safe.  Tricia Thompson did some testing on various flours that would normally be thought of as gluten-free, like rice flour, corn flour etc.  Her testing showed there is significant gluten contamination in some of these flours.

The article by Tricia Thompson:

http://www.glutenfre...en-free-grains/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#23 running like a zombie

running like a zombie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Forgive me, this post was never intended to spin off into a discussion Reguarding ethical treatment of animals or company standards. This was meant to be a warning, so what happened to me doesn't happen to you. Also the flour used has been tried and true by my celiac friend. She has never had an issue with it until that night and keeps her pantry completely gluten free. I have attempted to contact purdue reguarding the issue but to no avail I haven't gotten them. I will post a further update when I speak with them.

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Forgive me, this post was never intended to spin off into a discussion Reguarding ethical treatment of animals or company standards. This was meant to be a warning, so what happened to me doesn't happen to you. Also the flour used has been tried and true by my celiac friend. She has never had an issue with it until that night and keeps her pantry completely gluten free. I have attempted to contact purdue reguarding the issue but to no avail I haven't gotten them. I will post a further update when I speak with them.

You still haven't explained your accusation that Perdue coated your chicken in barley. I'm assuming that is something you just decided for some reason and have no proof of it. Please do not make statements meant to scare people about a product if you have no facts to back it up.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 running like a zombie

running like a zombie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Kareng you have to give time for proof to exist. I spoke with customer service with purdue chicken. The rep advised me that they only list wheat, eggs and nuts on their allergy labels. The rep went on to explain that without the r and d dept she couldn't confirm any other allergins. She also said that is a "proprietary" blend of ingredients. They barley part comes from my friend(a chef) who helped cooked the meal and he explained that most seasoned broths are seasoned with barley. I will further contact r and d to get further answers. I didn't post this to cause falsly startle everyone, but everyone should know what occured. We are all on the same team here Afterall.

#26 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

So, your friend the chef speculated that there was barley, and you posted a warning on the internet based on his supposition. Not something I would have done.

Peter

#27 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Kareng you have to give time for proof to exist. I spoke with customer service with purdue chicken. The rep advised me that they only list wheat, eggs and nuts on their allergy labels. The rep went on to explain that without the r and d dept she couldn't confirm any other allergins. She also said that is a "proprietary" blend of ingredients. They barley part comes from my friend(a chef) who helped cooked the meal and he explained that most seasoned broths are seasoned with barley. I will further contact r and d to get further answers. I didn't post this to cause falsly startle everyone, but everyone should know what occured. We are all on the same team here Afterall.

You came on and stated as a fact that the chicken was "frozen in a broth that contained barley". When you were asked why you say that, you have no response other than your friend thinks that is the case. I am on the team that does not want to spread rumors or scare people about gluten in products that do not have gluten.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 running like a zombie

running like a zombie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

I can admit fault when I am wrong. I have no intent on scaring people with false accusations. The thing I do know that is fact is that the recipe used has been tried and true by both of my friends and the only variable that changed was the chicken. I agree it may have not been the smartest thing to jump in the water while not being able to see the bottom but I felt people needed to know. If I am wrong in doing so then I am sorry

#29 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Could it possibly be that you both got sick with "the bug" at the same time?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#30 running like a zombie

running like a zombie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Food poisoning isn't an option. 5 total ate the chicken and the only two with intolerances got sick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: