19 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

There is no gluten in aloe stems.  I am not saying you do not react to aloe, but if you do it is not to gluten.  Gluten is only found in wheat products, barley, rye and foods contaminated with gluten, like oats.  ActualIy some people react to even cerified gluten free oats.  I cannot imagine aloe being processed anywhere near wheat.  Aloe is, in fact, a calmant of the gut for most people.

Mushroom, you need to re read the post.  She didn't say that there was gluten in aloe stems.  She said that she would put aloe stems in their food to make them have to run to the toilet LOL.  I did a google search, apparently the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center says that ingesting aloe can cause diarrhea.

It was just a joke.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

In the quote mushroom made, the poster had this sentence below and  grammatically, if you read it carefully, it sounds like she meant

the people who told me the food is gluten-free and puts tons of aloe stems in their food...... See?

"Puts" makes it confusing. She meant to write "put"----as in she would put them in THEIR food so they would end up in the potty. see? Easily misunderstood! :)

The sentence she quoted was:

"I would love to find those people who told me the food is gluten-free and puts tons of aloe stems in their food-"

Do you see why this is confusing? the people are doing the action of  "told and puts". (a simple addition of the s on that verb can change the meaning so easily.)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

I saw that it was confusing.  That's why I tried to explain it.  Typos happen.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

I saw that it was confusing.  That's why I tried to explain it.  Typos happen.

more than we'd like sometimes  :D  good thing there's an edit button.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I have given up on restaurants completely, with the exception of two restaurants. I've noticed as everyone else on here has, that restaurants will really say anything to sell their food, but when I get home I'm the one in pain for days. I would love to find those people who told me the food is gluten-free and puts tons of aloe stems in their food--ha, who's sitting on the toilet now! Ha ha!

No but seriously, only two restaurants never make me sick (both in NYC)--Risotteria and a raw, vegan, organic, gluten-free restaurant called Rockin' Raw. Bisou Chao macaron cookies seem to be safe as well (also in NYC). I know that Jennifer Esposito is an adamant Celiac and she just opened a bakery in Manhattan--it's called Jennifer's Way on 263 E. 10th St. I'm going there tomorrow with my husband to celebrate our anniversary.

But it's just so sad and awful that most restaurants absolutely don't care for Celiacs and are just pandering to a trend of people who don't even need to be gluten-free. I also don't understand why gluten-free product labeling is not better regulated and standardized. That would make life easier for so many people.

Maybe it's the area you live in but I am in Boston and I have to say that most restaurants go out of their way to make sure I have a safe meal. Why would anyone lie to a celiac and not care?  Do you think they really want to sabotage their business and get a bad name?  There are many places that offer up gluten-free meals now and, from my limited experience because I do not dine out as much as some Celiacs do, I rarely take a hit at a restaurant.  I am insanely sensitive also and react badly to crumbs so it would not be possible for me to eat out if everyone were that careless.  I know there are areas where people have no access to quality restaurants that know how to do gluten-free meals correctly but if you live near a big city, there are usually options to fall back on and you won't get sick.  I just think your statement that most do not care is way off. Gluten free meals in restaurants will not expand if everyone keeps trashing their attempts to cater to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: